DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

58 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

A deal where he’ll be in the WWE literally as soon as his college wrestling season is over. If NILs existed in the 80s, Bill Watts would have had Dr. Death on one several years before he graduated.

I checked the timeline and Dr. Death worked some Mid South after his OU wrestling career ended but then he played OU football that fall (or as Bill Watts would likely explain it: being a pro wrestler doesn’t impact your eligibility as a college football player)

If there’s anybody facing Steveson in college over the next year who has the charisma to go into the WWE, at least there’s a natural reason for that person to show up and feud with Steveson.

That being said, don’t pick up your phone Chad Gable.

And he has plenty of time to take Comedic Dancing for Actors in the Theater and Dance Department.

I hear it's great, it's taught by a guy who used to be a bodyguard for Snoop.

I got bored while eating lunch and I checked WWE's website

Not counting the Usos...

There are 2 Drews but Drew Gulak appears to be no longer used on TV (His last TV match was July 26)

There are 3 John/Johnnys but Cena is gone again and Gargano is on NXT

There are 3 Joes (Samoa, Gacy, Coffey) but they are all on different brands. (And this isn't including Joseph Conners who was last on TV July 22)

There are 2 Marks (har har har) - Andrews and Coffey - which appears to be the only example of 2 guys on the same brand with the same name but it is also NXT UK so no one cares and Coffey hasn't been on TV since mid-July.

There are 2 Roberts but again not on same brand and one is a manager.

There are 3 Sam/Samis - Zayn and then Stoker and Gradwell in NXT UK so see my point above (plus Gradwell hasn't been on TV since mid-June)

There are 2 Xias (of all the names to repeat) on different brands and the only females to duplicate a name

I can imagine them repackaging Chad Gable as just, "The Chad," but that would require Vince knowing what a Chad even is.

Hmm, honestly, if I'm Chad Gable, I'm praying I get that call from Johnny Ace.

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

His catchphrase is BAY BAY, right? Let's dress him as a giant baby, with a diaper and pacifier. Gotta get that merchandising money!

Doubly funny if you watch Breeze's Rumble streams, where one of the regular CAWs is a giant baby. 

"You see, the name will be Chad Able and he'll talk about how many things he's able to do"

Also, I watched the first two Nitros this week and (1) it doesn't take long to figure out that on-screen Hogan was a colossal asshole, even by his standards, (2) they did the arm drop spot for the fucking Torture Rack, which I don't remember ever seeing before, (3) the Torture Rack always gets a pop, so of course he didn't do it much in the WWF, and (4) Mongo is the Rob Bartlett of this crew, only he's not as much of a loose cannon and he's at least putting over the talent in his commentary instead of purely focusing on getting himself over?

So... is the Steveson Training Compound gonna be built on/near the Minnesota estate of one Brad Rheingans?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Weird name change and making him a full time manager aside… on paper, an Adam Cole/Keith Lee tag team doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

Especially if they followed the HBK/Diesel blueprint.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Especially if they followed the HBK/Diesel blueprint.

I suggested Cole and Lee being like Michaels & Diesel on that twitter, and it lead to this classic:

• Haha 6

Magnum v. Tully is #1 but man my memories of the Savage/Steamboat cage match with a crazy finis of Savage just thrashing Steam ==boat and losing because he threw Steamboat through the door that steamer hofell to the floor was pretty awesome

James

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Aren't Trevor and Rovert the same person though?

Shit! Now I can't tell if this is a legitimate question, or a pretty damn good ironic reference to the fact that you can only have one person with the same name at any time?

• Haha 2

Watching MidSouth late at night and noticing how the video picture quality seems to differ depending on which camera is being used. The ringside camera angles look better than the hard camera. Also, I kinda love how absurdly huge the North American title is. If this promotion wasn't so detail oriented, I'd think that they fucked up when they specified how large to make the belt and accidentally told them to make it too large.

Also gotta love Boyd Pierce consistently putting over Joel Watts during the intros when they used Boyd/Joel for an episode (when they rotated between any 2 of Bill Watts, Joel Watts, Jim Ross, and Boyd Pierce). Like Boyd was trying to provide fatherly warmth towards Joel for the hours where Mid-South was using their least good pairing of any of the 4 commentators they used for most of 1984.

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Watching MidSouth late at night and noticing how the video picture quality seems to differ depending on which camera is being used. The ringside camera angles look better than the hard camera. Also, I kinda love how absurdly huge the North American title is. If this promotion wasn't so detail oriented, I'd think that they fucked up when they specified how large to make the belt and accidentally told them to make it too large.

Also gotta love Boyd Pierce consistently putting over Joel Watts during the intros when they used Boyd/Joel for an episode (when they rotated between any 2 of Bill Watts, Joel Watts, Jim Ross, and Boyd Pierce). Like Boyd was trying to provide fatherly warmth towards Joel for the hours where Mid-South was using their least good pairing of any of the 4 commentators they used for most of 1984.

-Hey, this title is way too big, WTF, man?

-Well, it's not my fault that the manufacturer didn't know the difference between feet and inches! By the way, this reminds me, have you seen that brand new movie This Is Spinal Tap yet?

-No. Why?

-No reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I can’t believe a Spinal Tap style wrestling mockumentary has never been done before.  There’s a billion stupid wrestling backstage stories that could be lifted for it.

Never mind Heels, GLOW or The Wrestler, give me “why don’t you make the 10 count slower to give you more time?”  

“but our count goes to 11”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

This looks like fun. 

These AEW guys will never lose their AAA belts, lol. Like seriously it’ll be a while before AAA decides for Kenny to drop the title, and if anything, Brian Danielson is probably next in line after the Omega reign ends. They’ll convince him that when he drops the belt, they’ll give an apuestas match. Probably with none of his original choices, but they’ll have to do if he wants to live out part of his fantasy.

The AEW performers are too relevant to them in their bid to try, and capture the NA market. Especially whenever this lawsuit is settled with them, and the Lucha Underground people.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

These AEW guys will never lose their AAA belts, lol. Like seriously it’ll be a while before AAA decides for Kenny to drop the title, and if anything, Brian Danielson is probably next in line after the Omega reign ends. They’ll convince him that when he drops the belt, they’ll give an apuestas match. Probably with none of his original choices, but they’ll have to do if he wants to live out part of his fantasy.

The AEW performers are too relevant to them in their bid to try, and capture the NA market. Especially whenever this lawsuit is settled with them, and the Lucha Underground people.

Except that AAA wanted Andrade to win the title at TripleMania and AEW vetoed it because they didn't want Omega to be on a "losing streak" going into All Out.

• Like 1