DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

Good work by the person at Starrcade 1985 realizing they could use a red light with the Soviet Anthem playing for the Russians entrance for the cage match vs the RNR.

Of course the catch for tag cage matches is that any escape the cage match with tag teams has a giant logical flaw so the good ones have to be tornado rules with a lot going on at the same time in one ring.

Watching 1985 World Championship Wrestling makes me wonder which episode has the regard for most segments in 2 hours, because between matches and interviews, some of them had to be up there. Not to mention the episodes where they realized "we have such awesome micworkers that we can give them multiple interview segments in one show"

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

If we were in different times, I think we'd quite likely see some of touring promotion emerge to do Europe and Australia etc, especially given that AEW doesn't seem that interested in running much of a house show schedule. Obv. we will have to see what happens....

Now that you mention it, that's a good idea. After WCW died, there was a group calling themselves World Wrestling Allstars doing that kind of thing. You don't need to have TV or do storylines for that. Just put on shows as an attraction. Hire Strowman to headline, have some other TV names underneath and then get local guys to work the undercard.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the WWA show I went to. I don't think I remember a single thing about this show apart from Midajah ? If you'd asked me if I'd ever seen Sting or Luger or Sabu wrestle in person I would've answered "no" five minutes ago.

(28.11.2002) WWA - Event @ RDS Arena in Dublin, Ireland

Shark Boy defeats Nate Webb

Konnan defeats Norman Smiley

Frankie Kazarian & Nathan Jones defeat Disco Inferno & Johnny Swinger

Hardcore Match (Special Referee: Midajah): Teo defeats Puppet

Mike Sanders defeats Joe E. Legend

Triple Threat: Sabu defeats Perry Saturn and Simon Diamond

Lex Luger & Sting defeat Buff Bagwell & Malice

• Like 1

Favorite/best tag cage match - Slaughter/Kernodle v. Steamboat/Youngblood, Greensboro NC 1983. In 1986, The Sheepherders and Fantastics worked 37 barbed wire cage matches in 45 days: I'll take any of those (I have seen 2 or 3 on tape). Then comes that '87 War Games match I saw in Chicago. There's gotta be some Chikara or Lucha shmozz that delighted me as well...

Best/favorite singles cage match - Tully v. Magnum, no doubt. Easy #2 is Lawler v. Idol with all those magnificent stips - has no one dropped this yet?!?! And a slam dunk third is Mankind v. Undertaker HitC. Next for me would be some olde W/WWF cage - I say Muraco v. Snuka.

- RAF

• Like 2

My feelings about the best singles cage match is a little sullied because I didn't see Tully vs Magnum as a kid, but I did see Bret vs Owen as a kid and I remembered fucking HATING Owen in that match. Owen may have been the biggest heel to me at that time. And that match between Owen and Bret is outstanding.

I think I first watched Tully vs Magnum when I got into tape purchasing and trading my freshman year of college, so that's like 99 or something. The match is fucking awesome, but I just never watched enough Magnum TA from week to week to be that fully invested in it and so to me it's lacking a little something that Bret vs Owen has.

7 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Favorite/best tag cage match - Slaughter/Kernodle v. Steamboat/Youngblood, Greensboro NC 1983. In 1986, The Sheepherders and Fantastics worked 37 barbed wire cage matches in 45 days: I'll take any of those (I have seen 2 or 3 on tape). Then comes that '87 War Games match I saw in Chicago. There's gotta be some Chikara or Lucha shmozz that delighted me as well...

Best/favorite singles cage match - Tully v. Magnum, no doubt. Easy #2 is Lawler v. Idol with all those magnificent stips - has no one dropped this yet?!?! And a slam dunk third is Mankind v. Undertaker HitC. Next for me would be some olde W/WWF cage - I say Muraco v. Snuka.

- RAF

Not to derail the thread, but i enjoyed Kris namechecking the Reverend on this weeks BTS in the US indy section. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

How is that a tag team Cage Match? 

I thought we were just talking about cage matches.  The best tag team cage match is some other match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swift said:

Now that you mention it, that's a good idea. After WCW died, there was a group calling themselves World Wrestling Allstars doing that kind of thing. You don't need to have TV or do storylines for that. Just put on shows as an attraction.

finally! a chance to flex my niche wrestling knowledge! I love the first WWA show and was super hyped for the second one....until it happened. "Macho Man" Randy Savage was scheduled to appear, but pulled out a few days beforehand. I believe it was due to pay. At one point, Hall & Nash were announced to reunite for this show. I don't know if that was ever actually going to happen, but they ended up in WWE reforming the nWo, so i guess it worked out for them.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Didn’t Disco fight the Bananas In Pajamas for one show?

He certainly did.

dammit! @Nice Guy Eddie beat me to it. Well, at least i can add something: This was on the inaugural WWA PPV, "Inception", from October 2001.  You may be surprised to learn that WWA held 5 (FIVE!) PPV events. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My feelings about the best singles cage match is a little sullied because I didn't see Tully vs Magnum as a kid, but I did see Bret vs Owen as a kid and I remembered fucking HATING Owen in that match. Owen may have been the biggest heel to me at that time. And that match between Owen and Bret is outstanding.

I think I first watched Tully vs Magnum when I got into tape purchasing and trading my freshman year of college, so that's like 99 or something. The match is fucking awesome, but I just never watched enough Magnum TA from week to week to be that fully invested in it and so to me it's lacking a little something that Bret vs Owen has.

As far as singles, Tully vs. Magnum is the gold standard. Tully is a fucking movie villain and Magnum is the perfect badass protagonist. It was also booked to perfection.

I watched Bret vs. Owen the other day since that card was in Chicago, and All Out happening made me want to watch it. It's a pretty good match, but I think Diesel vs. Razor holds up better than the cage match. It's such an old school, time and place match that it iss hard to judge it in 2021. I'm so accustomed to carnage (blood and insane bumps) that selling being the most emphasized aspect makes it a little less palatable. Plus, you can clip 5-10 minutes off it and come out better for it.

Tag team cage matches....I've been meaning to watch the Final Conflict Slaughter/Kernodle v. Steamboat/Youngblood like 70 part doc on Youtube just because I've never seen it before.

LCO/U*Tops (Kaoru Ito/Tomoko Watanabe) for August 1997 is up there with any men's cage match. Just a goddamn spectacle.

43 minutes ago, twiztor said:

This was on the inaugural WWA PPV, "Inception", from October 2001.  You may be surprised to learn that WWA held 5 (FIVE!) PPV events. 

And that PPV included a dark women's match called "Skin to Win" ?

Anyway, the entirety of WWA's run - https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=37&page=8

Edited by Swift
  • Like 1