DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

No shame in missing something. Good stuff should get mentioned so it doesn’t get missed, even if it’s already been brought up. 

it’s not great, but I’ll throw in the time Sullivan did the “man under the ring” angle when he unveiled the third Head Hunter in Continental in a cage match vs the Stud Stable. That’s when Doug Furnas ripped off the cage door in Knoxville. 

• Thanks 1

Probably not my absolute favorite cage match ever, but I'll throw out the Rock n Roll Express/Heavenly Bodies from 
Smoky Mountain's 1994 Bluegrass Brawl show as a dark horse pick deserving consideration.  Great match that flipped the script in a number of surprising ways (heel in peril segment?  Sure.  Why not?).  Match was also Loser Leaves blowing off a great feud between the two teams, so the crowd was hot and the stakes were believably high.

Bodies and RnR had a number of great matches in RnR is SMW.  IIRC, there's a week or two of house shows somewhere in there where the two teams worked sixty min ironman matches every other night or so.  Pity more people haven't seen that stuff.  I don't think the 1994 Bluegrass Brawl is out there in full.  The fancam (?) I got only has two matches on it.

My favorite cage match is probably Tully/Magnum.

• Like 2

I'm a guy who went to the Garden for monthly shows and to this day my teenage brain says Savage/Adonis v. Santana/Sammartino in a cage is goddam beautiful!

Thing blow off to3 feuds at once (Santana/Savage, Sammartino Savage, Santana/Sammartino v. Savage/Adonis) and the babyfaces came out on top. I remember there was GAB 87 pre-War Games cage match between the Horsemen and Roadies/Super Powers where Dusty lined up the Horsemen and gave them each a bionic elbow

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Has page drift meant people didn't see the original question was about tag  matches in cages? 

Lol, I forgot that.  I tossed out a tag match in a cage as a contender, but the tag match part was just coincidental.

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Has page drift meant people didn't see the original question was about tag  matches in cages? 

I was still responding to greatest cave match ever

• Haha 2

It not the best tag cage match, but I really, really, really liked Usos vs New Day in the Cell. Felt like a match where they let the pros do their thing and felt pretty unique from the usual WWE crap.

• Like 6