DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Alex Shelley says he's never paid for a haircut in years, because Minoru Suzuki taught him how to cut his own hair. So presumably, Suzuki does that cut by himself.

Now I want a version of the shop uninterrupted on njpw world starring Suzuki 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe it differs from arena to arena, but why would WWE need to drop 20k on catering per show?  It's not like modern arenas only have warmed over hot dogs, stale popcorn from garbage bags, and lukewarm Coors Light.  I attended a corporate luxury box thing at the DC arena a while back and the food, ostensibly made at the building, was pretty damn good. 

I mean holy fuck, you don't need to be Wolfgang Puck to roll up some sirloin in a tortilla with a side of ketchup, pretty much Vince's litmus test for quality.

Keep in mind it's not the buildings proving this stuff. It's a separate catering company that travels around with them using their own product and cooking equipment. You have to be at the building by 1PM on TV days and you're not supposed to leave. So you spend legitimately almost 12 hours on TV days at the buildings. And these are big beefy athletes in most cases along with the crews and production and office works. Getting 2-3 wrestler sized meals a day. With huge variety of things offered. Because you gotta have the clean food for the body guys, but the camera guys and stage builders don't want grilled chicken. They want real food. 20k per TV day is not at all shocking to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would if he means this (though getting interviewed that late for the project would be weird)

A documentary focused on the post-9/11 episode of SmackDown will premiere this week.

WWE has announced that "Never Forget: WWE Returns After 9/11" will premiere this Friday, one day before the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The documentary will be available on Peacock/WWE Network, WWE's YouTube channel, and WWE's Facebook page.

"WWE commemorates the 20-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, with an all-new documentary, Never Forget: WWE Returns After 9/11," WWE wrote. "Hear from Superstars like 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Edge and many more as they remember being involved in one of the most emotional and patriotic SmackDown episodes in WWE history just two days after the attacks."

Vince McMahon was also interviewed for the documentary.

The post-9/11 SmackDown was held at the Compaq Center in Houston, Texas on September 13, 2001.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'm sure this will do wonders for how people feel about the company these days. 

The levels of editing and revisionist history on this will be staggering.   Hopefully they are not dumb enough to include Stephanie in any form and definitely not include JBL promo that was so anti Muslim that it was offensive in September 2001

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The levels of editing and revisionist history on this will be staggering.   Hopefully they are not dumb enough to include Stephanie in any form and definitely not include JBL promo that was so anti Muslim that it was offensive in September 2001

I mean, if they apologize for that bullshit it would be nice, albeit 20 years late.

• Sad 1

Why would Russo be on that documentary though? It had nowt to do with him. WCW as out of business and he was managing a video rental store (that went out of business).

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Why would Russo be on that documentary though? It had nowt to do with him. WCW as out of business and he was managing a video rental store (that went out of business).

Holy shit! They're trying to do their own Dark Side of the Ring, aren't they?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I loved these WWE docs when they first started making them on DVD and including matches and stuff, but it's obvious now that their revisionist history has done more harm than good. An entire generation has heard only their side of the narrative and it's led to some really weird shit

I particularly like it when they revise their own revisionist history, like what they did with the Ultimate Warrior. That's the good shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I think throughout the last month or so I realized something.

Everybody seems to think that Vince McMahon is worried now or should be worried now, but I think he isn't.

For decades now Vince has been saying that the WWE is a sports entertainment company not a pro-wrestling company and we all laughed at this and rolled our eyes.

I thought that Vince was just in denial about what his company was or he just wanted to change the perception of what pro-wrestling was.

But now I realize that it wasn't Vince, who's in denial. It was us. Unlike AEW, the WWE really isn't in the pro-wrestling business. They really really aren't.

The WWE's target audience isn't pro-wrestling fans, it's people who are into reality shows and daily soaps and sitcoms with laugh tracks and other trash TV.

The WWE's product is not pro-wrestling, it's the shitty backstage segments. It just also happens to have some form of "wrestling-like" action in a wrestling ring.

The actual in-ring wrestling is completely unimportant for this company. This is why they can release all of those wrestlers and will be able to release a lot more. This is why they can prominently feature guys like Omos and Domink Mysterio on the main roster. This is why they can feature 7 ft. giants with no wrestling experience on NXT. This is why they don't see AEW as competition and why Vince isn't worried.

• Thanks 1

Vince isn't worried because WWE is more profitable than AEW and Smackdown gets more viewers than every other American Wrestling show. Also WWE has more Global viewers.

Nick Khan said WWE isn't a wrestling company.

Edited by D.Z

18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Is Bryan’s 5 months the shortest time between main eventing Wrestlemania and appearing for another promotion?

Probably - considering most folks in the Main Event (going by the definition of match that went on last) are WWE lifers it isn't that weird.

This is the list of people who wrestled somewhere besides WWE after being in the Main Event of Mania since 2000 

• Daniel Bryan (x2)
  • Kurt Angle
  • Chris Jericho
  • Mick Foley
  • Big Show

And Bryan and Show only are on the list because of All Out

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Is Bryan’s 5 months the shortest time between main eventing Wrestlemania and appearing for another promotion?

If you're willing to accept a very liberal definition of headlining: Jimmy Snuka was involved in the first Wrestlemania main event in March 1985 and was in New Japan by July.

Hogan wrestled in New Japan like a month after Wrestlemania IX but was still with the WWF until August or so.

Sid probably has the record for quickest to leave the WWF after headlining Wrestlemania as he got fired pretty much right after Wrestlemania VIII.  I think he also has the distinction of being the only person to leave the WWF within six months of headlining Wrestlemania twice.

• Like 1