DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

17 hours ago, Shane said:

Just an FYI, but it looks like TubiTV added a bunch of wrestling stuff since the last time I looked. There are a few really random comps (Manny Fernandez, Tommy Rich, 70s wrestling and the Hawaii territory). 

There’s also what looks to be CZW footage of El Generico, AJ Styles, MJF andJoey Janela. I assume it’s CZW stuff, anyway, as DJ Hyde’s name is on them. May be some other titles that I skimmed over  

Just noticed them, so I haven’t actually watched anything. Figured some folks here migh be into them, though.

Lucha Underground is still on there as well. 

I just typed in wrestling in the search and there's a shit ton of that plus other random stuff. From Glow to lots of compilations and some documentaries for good measure. Jeez, we can have a field day with all this. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gable Steveson has officially signed with the WWE

Vince is probably also fretting that people won't be able to keep Chad Gable and Gable Steveson straight.  Too many Gables.  How are fans supposed to tell the difference?

1 hour ago, mystman said:

It might be useful to  post a link or something when dropping something like this on the board.

He and another member of the wrestling team were accused of rape when they were in college.  No charges were filed.  Police investigated and declined to file charges.  Everyone involved told different stories and everyone involved was very drunk.  Comments made by the prosecutor's office made it sound like she consented at the time, but was too drunk to properly (legally) consent.  On the other hand, Minnesota law gives prosecutors discretion to prosecute in instances where the accused knew or should have known the victim's judgment was too impaired to give legal consent, so maybe that's not what the district attorney was implying.  It's also worth noting that the DA was asked if a change in the law (to make it easier to prosecute cases where the victim was impaired) would have resulted in charges being filed and the answer was "no".  That maybe implies her bac wasn't the issue.

School investigation supposedly cleared Steveson outright.   Police investigation allegedly exonerated the wrestlers, but nothing like that was said publicly.  Official reason for dropping the charges was "insufficient evidence".  School suspended Steveson from the wrestling team while charges were investigated, then reinstated him when case was dropped.

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Death of the Global expansion. UK business is going to be conducted from Stamford, Connecticut in future.

Also the company got dissolved because they kept refusing to file their accounts.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12094063

Wow… Even before the pandemic, and #SpeakingOut it was already on shaky ground.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Maybe it differs from arena to arena, but why would WWE need to drop 20k on catering per show?  It's not like modern arenas only have warmed over hot dogs, stale popcorn from garbage bags, and lukewarm Coors Light.  I attended a corporate luxury box thing at the DC arena a while back and the food, ostensibly made at the building, was pretty damn good. 

I mean holy fuck, you don't need to be Wolfgang Puck to roll up some sirloin in a tortilla with a side of ketchup, pretty much Vince's litmus test for quality.

Edited by Technico Support

As someone who orders catering regularly, it's actually really expensive.

Like $25 a person after taxes and delivery, assuming they are feeding them a lunch and a snack and having a huge variety, is not out of the question.  

Especially for TV.  I could see them wanting to cut house show catering to maybe just lunch but even then you are looking at 15-20 a person easily.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Random: Recently I saw the video for "Girls on Film" by Duran Duran and thought it was the same song that Strike Force came out to... which was "Girls in Cars". Slight difference between the two.

Sounded like Girls on Pills to me. Would always sing along saying that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe it differs from arena to arena, but why would WWE need to drop 20k on catering per show?  It's not like modern arenas only have warmed over hot dogs, stale popcorn from garbage bags, and lukewarm Coors Light.  I attended a corporate luxury box thing at the DC arena a while back and the food, ostensibly made at the building, was pretty damn good. 

I mean holy fuck, you don't need to be Wolfgang Puck to roll up some sirloin in a tortilla with a side of ketchup, pretty much Vince's litmus test for quality.

$20K a show actually seems pretty cheap based on how many people they're feeding.  They're providing food for every wrestler in the building, every person in creative, and all the crew doing all the camera work and lighting and such.  Odds are they are providing multiple meals, as putting on a wrestling show is not something you can do in an hour or two.  Now take into consideration that these are pro wrestlers, who probably put away crazy amounts of food.  $20K probably includes a sizable discount.  After a quick google, I found that the average wedding catering cost for 150 people is over $9K...that is one meal and some drinks.  

Something else regarding catering costs - it all depends on state and the entity's you are working with.

For example - the Commonwealth of Virginia passed laws this year to eliminate single use plastic, so for all state employees/entities (so the state government and state Universities for example) catering costs have gone up as water is now supplied in cans and things like plates, utensils, straws, etc... all have gone up since they are all being made with recycled material.

• Like 1

So I was chatting with my friend Steve about Suzuki showing up at all out and asked him if he was aware of minoru having a cameo in the anime one piece.   I ended up falling down a rabbit hole and discovered his signature hair cut is based on the devil fruit from the series.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/suzuki-goto-haircut-match-wrestle-kingdom-12-one-piece-anime/

Alex Shelley says he's never paid for a haircut in years, because Minoru Suzuki taught him how to cut his own hair. So presumably, Suzuki does that cut by himself.