DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Bait & Switch - 8/30/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

t reminded me a bit of Ken Shamrock straight coldcocking Vader for being too stiff mixed with a bit of "should we fuck each other up frfr" body language like John Tenta throwing defensive kicks at Koji Kitao. I loved what I saw on Twitter. More please.

You have that backwards. It was Vader who knocked Shamrock back into the world of pro-wrestling. It was gloriously hilarious- and you could see in that match why Ken was paired with Vader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Both of them looked fucking stupid trying to throw live rounds at each other. 

While the two looked dumb and awkward not being cooperative I do think you are overselling the live rounds comment. Neither was dumb to start a straight up fight with the other. Charlotte is well aware that Nia not holding back can literally break someone's face, and Nia wasn't dumb enough to get herself fired for injuring Charlotte.

Hahahaha, what the fuck. I saw more realistic sequences at a shitty Indy in front of 10 people with wrestlers coming straight from training for only 3 weeks. What was that run up? That's the state of the division now? Holy.... 

That match and that really great 3 way on the same show... 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 2

I know I have ragged on Charlotte plenty in the past, but I do think she is a solid on the whole and have really enjoyed some of her stuff in the past. Hell, Charlotte vs Ronda might be my favourite WWE womens match, and that had a stinko DQ finish to protect Charlotte. That said, the 'Charlotte is a great worker' talking point is being badly exposed here. Great workers can work with inferior opponents and make it work. If Charlotte isn't in the ring with someone who's a strong worker themselves, she is just as useless as them. I agree with the guy who said this current run has been bad, she looks like she's just been mailing it in constantly.

I have dug Nia at points, a green monster who recklessly throws people around can be fun, but that's also mitigated by how over-pushed she's been because of who she's related to. She would have been on the cutting room floor years ago if she wasn't cousins with the Rock and Roman, so the idea of her not being happy with someone else being over-pushed is a delicious slice of irony. WWE's nepotism is insufferable and these are the two biggest beneficiaries of it, so to see them have such an exposing pile of garbage match was really enjoyable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

While the two looked dumb and awkward not being cooperative I do think you are overselling the live rounds comment. Neither was dumb to start a straight up fight with the other. Charlotte is well aware that Nia not holding back can literally break someone's face, and Nia wasn't dumb enough to get herself fired for injuring Charlotte.

They both looked fucking dumb trying to hit each other. Jesus. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Nia Jax almost spiked Charlotte on her head and you're really in here halfway defending that, because of... booking, Charlotte being "overpushed", and uh, I guess supposedly Nia being told her career doesn't matter because Charlotte is around? What the hell are you even on about? Your hate boner for certain wrestlers is weird, dude.

I guess I have a deep aversion to seeing mediocrity rewarded. In Charlotte’s case, there’s probably some deep disdain for nepotism in there, too. And I didn’t say Nia was right to drop Charlotte on her head. I think Nia’s a very rare, special combination of reckless and ignorant. I just completely understand why any/all of Charlotte’s co workers might not be in any hurry to suffer horseshit from her.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bullshit.

It looks like she almost murdered and broke Charlotte's neck twice. First with that suplex and then that weird powerbomb.

Edited by TheVileOne

I thought we hate it when the matches and moves look too cooperative. What do you even want? I like it when their struggling on every move! Especially when it looks like they don’t even remember what they’re supposed to be doing!

• Haha 4

I don't have a list of things that would get me to watch WWE again.  But if I did, "As Vince slides into dementia, the company evolves into clumsy, untrained shootfights" would definitely be on it. I need to see big, jacked dudes who just missed the NFL just wailing on each other every Monday.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't have a list of things that would get me to watch WWE again.  But if I did, "As Vince slides into dementia, the company evolves into clumsy, untrained shootfights" would definitely be on it. I need to see big, jacked dudes who just missed the XFL just wailing on each other every Monday.

FTFY.

?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I enjoy there's a segment of Twitter that would rather see a sloppy and mildly stiff fightthan "a choreographed anime stunt scene" as someone said. 

“Choreographed anime stunt show” might be a decent way to describe the Omos-John Morrison match right afterwards.  I don’t mind his parkour offense but a couple of his somersaults looked odd and slow in a “I better rehearse this before they let the crowd in” way.  And Omos is basically immobile in the ring.  I’m guessing he was out of position for Morrision’s turning springboard “kick” (Morrison springboarded off the middle rope, did an awkward short hop, and walked a few steps forward into Omos’ outstretched hand).

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You have that backwards. It was Vader who knocked Shamrock back into the world of pro-wrestling. It was gloriously hilarious- and you could see in that match why Ken was paired with Vader.

Yeah, my bad. I did have it backwards. It was fantastic.

@Technico SupportI, too, somewhat enjoyed Brawl For All!

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Haha 1

Just listened to WOR. Man, this is one of those times where Dave desperately wants to believe a WWE mess wasn't a WWE mess and he sounds really fucking dumb in the process. Yeah Dave, they were totally trying to do a worked shoot...

And if that was a worked shoot then it's even worse because they were hurting each other and looked fucking stupid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Just listened to WOR. Man, this is one of those times where Dave desperately wants to believe a WWE mess wasn't a WWE mess and he sounds really fucking dumb in the process. Yeah Dave, they were totally trying to do a worked shoot...

And if that was a worked shoot then it's even worse because they were hurting each other and looked fucking stupid. 

Dave's in the past seems to have gone out of his way to cover for Charlotte. The TLC match with Kabuki Warriors vs. Becky Lynch/Charlotte at TLC 2019 when Charlotte slapped a clearly out of it Kairi Sane for botching a spot and putting her through a table when she was dead weight. Still pisses me off to this day.

I do agree with the people saying Charlotte Flair has regressed. At one point I had her #2 out of the Four Horsewomen behind Sasha Banks but now I have her bottom:

4. Charlotte Flair.

3. Becky Lynch.

2. Bayley.

1. Sasha Banks.