DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Dog said:

In a vacuum, these past two shows could be seen as the start of a worrying trend in AEW. After Wednesday's snoozefest, another distraction finish tonight and a nothing main event. ?

As someone sitting here with more faith in this company than ever:

BRING BACK THE CONFUSED REACTION. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Giannis was in the crowd, if you couldn't tell by the literal 20+ mentions and camera cuts during the opener. Holy shit, that was overkill. We get it. Let's try to put over the guys in the ring instead. I'm happy he had a genuinely good time, and it deserved to be shown a couple of times, but enough was enough. 

Given the AEW / TNT / NBA synergy, all the shots of Giannis probably made a lot of suits happy and gained AEW alot of brownie points. 

• Like 11

I feel like seeing Giannis so into the match made the wrestlers come off as stars in the making, which they are. Giannis is a sporting god after that run and it's fine to feature him having a blast watching your guys bust ass. 

• Like 10

Lovely hour of wrestling, much more enjoyable than Dynamite this week, just non stop entertainment. Like Excalibur said “the fastest hour of wrestling on TV”

“Yes I’m shouting, that’s what I do!” - Jericho

Opening match was a crazy spot fest and a perfect one at that. No Zero Miedo taunt spam so that always adds an extra star. Surprised at the winners as I thought they were building towards Jurassic Express, but Lucha Bros are one of those teams that could be champs anytime and might as well make it now.

Miro and Kingston finally face to face and it’s glorious. Look at my boy Eddie Kobashi with that chopping technique!

Women’s match was good, I thought both looked good. Weird to have Tay lose after they mentioned she was in like a 15 match winning streak or whatever.

Main event was fun, lmao at Cutler’s reaction when Kazarian called him a bitch ass man baby stooge before the match:

159d7a4fd422d489-meme-black-guy-gif-blac

• Thanks 1

Hey!  Kazarian got a win!

I kind of had a thought that the Lucha Bros. would walk away with it.  Because even though JE had the more present issue.  Death Triangle has something going on that I’m sure they’ll want to highlight at the PPV.  I’m curious how the eventual heel turn on PAC will work out with the tag titles in the formula.

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

“Hey WWE, you got Bad Bunny?

Well we got SuperBad Bunny!”

Eddie is always great in a pull apart. His one with Claudio in Chikara is great.

SuperBad Bunny vs The IInspiration, RIGHT NOW, dammit!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The Kingston-Miro pull apart from OK, but not super hot. Really could have done with Eddie actually working the stick. 

Zero interest in Bucks vs Lucha Bros for the millionth time. Lucha Bros are mindless spot machines, I am sure there will be one or two highlight reel moments but the match will be as forgettable as all their others. Would have preferred Lucha Express for Jungle Boy getting a big win.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Hey!  Kazarian got a win!

I kind of had a thought that the Lucha Bros. would walk away with it.  Because even though JE had the more present issue.  Death Triangle has something going on that I’m sure they’ll want to highlight at the PPV.  I’m curious how the eventual heel turn on PAC will work out with the tag titles in the formula.

I haven't kept up with Dark too much this year, so imagine my surprise when the entrance graphic showed Kaz as like 22-4 this year.

Talk about running through people on YouTube, my god.

• Like 1

I managed to stay spoiler free on the show, and I was real surprised when the Lucha team won. An interesting choice to use a cage gimmick for a match that doesn’t have much story behind it, for sure. But the Lucha team has been one of AEW’s most over acts since they went back on the road, so it’s hard to argue with rewarding them with this spot.

However, I’m thinking it just got way more likely that the Bucks are going to figure out some way to retain the titles at All Out. The Lucha team winning the tag titles doesn’t really further the schism they’re building in Death Triangle. Although, again, I’d prefer them NOT turning Penta and Fenix heel at all.

• Like 1

Fenix is a natural babyface. Penta is a natural heel, but he's super over as a babyface, so you more or less have to keep him on that side for now. Pac is a natural heel though... and so is Andrade. So whichever group they end up joining, someone is going to be working against their best self.

I really wish Mark Henry wasn't on commentary. If it was just Jericho with Excalibur, I'd be fine with it. I know it's only his third week, and he's in a crowded commentary booth, but still. He doesn't really add much to the team, and might be better used in the Schiavone on Dynamite role outside of the booth (I think everyone agrees the pre-main event split screen thing Henry does is a huge plus for the show). Weirdly, I'm not nearly as down on Jericho as a color commentator as most people are.

Also, I'm not surprised Jurassic Express lost. It's too soon for another rematch, they don't usually do the same match-up that close together. I don't think they're building a schism in Death Triangle, either. Seems like Andrade is TRYING to do that, but it'll backfire on him, and that leads to him bringing in two guys (or more?) to form his own group.

I like that they advertised "we'll hear from CM Punk and Darby Allin", and it was only a promo for the Road to All Out special next week after Rampage. That's annoying. JR mentioned on Wednesday that the sit-down with Punk was pretty interesting - could be JR just keeping kayfabe, but I'm intrigued.

Miro & Kingston should be a banger. Honestly, I could see that match going either way. But more than likely, Miro wins. But Kingston having the TNT title at the Arthur Ashe show would be a great, feel good moment. And the title scene is absurdly heel heavy right now.

I'll be honest - beyond how good the Christian/Omega match is going to be next week, I'm not interested in the feud. And I saw the spoilers earlier in the week, saw that Allie beats Tay Conti, and I wasn't pleased with that, so I pretty much fast-forwarded through the entire show after the opening tag match. I might go back and watch the main event, just to see Brandon Cutler bump like a maniac and act like an stooge asshole, but that's really it. Kazarian has always been a "immediately lose my interest" guy to me, and like I said, don't care about Christian/Omega besides seeing them have a lengthy match on PPV, so... yeah.

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If you take Penta out of a team all you got is a guy in makeup making gestures and doing Canadian Destroyers. He has to have someone with him to be even a quarter way worth a shit. 

I really want to see PAC vs. Black. That's probably happened somewhere. 

In fact that did happen in the Night 2 of the original UK Title tournament that Tyler Bate won. It would probably be even better now, though. It was a non tournament open challenge, btw...

Edited by Shartnado
Not a tourney match
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It’s really nice to see “ace” Christian again. He does a lot of little things in that role that most lead babyfaces of the last decade just don’t.

I have really liked Christian even before his ace era and really liked his matches later on. I can't really tell those little things that people keep talking about. I just know his matches are really good and I like them a lot. I guess you would be exactly the guy to analyse some of that stuff for me, if you ever feel the need to do so! I'd love to hear it. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

Given the AEW / TNT / NBA synergy, all the shots of Giannis probably made a lot of suits happy and gained AEW alot of brownie points. 

It also makes a worse wrestling show. I understand why they did it.

You guys, no words can describe how much I love this dude. Giannis is great too.

HOOK PULLED THROUGH WITH THE PROPER WRESTLER PHOTO OP POSE. #HOOKGANG? 

AEW IS SAVED AND WILL WIN THE WAR oncetheybelthook.

edit:

holy shit, Giannis at Rampage is the gift that never stops giving. Load this up on the Khantron:

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, killsteve said:

The Kingston-Miro pull apart from OK, but not super hot. Really could have done with Eddie actually working the stick. 

I liked the idea of the pull apart but have such few refs being able to handle Miro away from Kingston made him look weaker than he should have. Bryce trying to talk sense into Eddie was a great touch though.

I’m very excited for their match though. Before the refs came out I was loving what I was seeing.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, Shartnado said:

I have really liked Christian even before his ace era and really liked his matches later on. I can't really tell those little things that people keep talking about. I just know his matches are really good and I like them a lot. I guess you would be exactly the guy to analyse some of that stuff for me, if you ever feel the need to do so! I'd love to hear it. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either!

Can’t get a time stamp but it’s around 1:15 that made me think of it:

the heel feeding for punches, the back body drop, the stuff in the corner. It’s rote and time-tested but is still done creatively and feels fresh because so few people are doing it. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I expected the number to go back down to normal but slowly, but it already is back to normal. Should be interesting to see this week's upcoming dynamite ratings.

Edited by D.Z

To be fair, they’ve only had 3 episodes so there’s not much of a normal level yet i.e. plenty of time to go south and settle in the 500-600k territory like the Friday Dynamites.

This show flew by and it’s nice to be able to get used to a second helping of prime time AEW in the week. They were really hyped about that basketball guy though.