DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Waiting to see it with my wife tomorrow but I have to say one thing:

Giannis Antentokoumpo is All Elite!  I can't begin to say how excited I was to find out he was there.  Fuck yeah! 

Think he got his title and jumped in the ring after the first match as he peaced out after that pretty sure. He was so great during the tag match though. 

• Like 1

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Waiting to see it with my wife tomorrow but I have to say one thing:

Giannis Antentokoumpo is All Elite!  I can't begin to say how excited I was to find out he was there.  Fuck yeah! 

It's always nice to see the Greek Freak. I was talking to a Greek girl while he was on. If only she didn't live in Massachusetts. Le sigh.

• Like 1

JFC that was a lot of finisher spam tonight. That opening tag match was insane .with the number of kickouts. And Tay basically pulling a FirePro and using all of her Strong Grapples in a row only for Bunny to win via Brass Knucks was ridiculous.

Miro is the best.

• Haha 3

I actually watched this!

AEW’s announcing is just terrible. Why are there four guys announcing? Jericho is absolutely abysmal at this. One of the things that plagues a lot of wrestling is that no one knows what “less is more” and “show don’t tell” really mean. It isn’t just reducing how many finishers you use in a match.

It is also about efficiently telling your story for the most impact. In a promo, you can say “I am running this show!” But “I run this show!” is more to the point and stronger. They need have less talking during the matches. They need less people at ringside. They need to have less former stars turned managers — Sting being Darby’s mentor is an awesome idea, but gets a little diluted when Tully is managing FTR and Taz is doing what we and so etc. 

That Omega match tonight was the ultimate example of less is more. My favorite type of heel is a comedic lackey stooge. Brandon Cutler was so bad at playing a bad wrestler tonight. He was too much in his movements. He tried to do so much that none of it served any purpose other than he ate the pin. 

But Giannis at ringside was amazing. You can tell he really loves wrestling. Nothing fake about any of that. 

The pull-a-part was great — less is more, and it was Miro being a bully and Kingston coming out to get his. 

The first match was overboard with a lot of the moves but it is an opening match on a Friday night show with Jurassic Express and a Lucha team — that should be over the top and energetic. And it was. AEW definitely has an awesome energy to it. 

• Like 5

Really glad theyre doing miro vs kingston at All Out.  Was wondering if they had the room, and would have put it on Dynamite.  to round out the card, id really like to see something with ricky starks and brian cage, and malakai black-dustin rhodes.  but, i may be asking for too much. 

Might have to pull the trigger on bryan danielson at the all out ppv.  never know what could happen with covid between now and september 22nd. 

I think i finally figured it out.  matt jackson has been doing the becky lynch lip pout this whole time! And i just noticed.

• Like 1

Mark Henry is not a very good announcer.  The wrestling tonight was perfectly fine, with the opener being really good.  I assume Tay is winning next week.

• Like 1

Giannis was in the crowd, if you couldn't tell by the literal 20+ mentions and camera cuts during the opener. Holy shit, that was overkill. We get it. Let's try to put over the guys in the ring instead. I'm happy he had a genuinely good time, and it deserved to be shown a couple of times, but enough was enough. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Disappointed that Jurassic Express didn't get the win. Them winning in the steel cage with the packed house crowd would've been an epic visual. Felt like they had the most momentum to be the team to take down the Bucks. That seemed like such the perfect setting for the change and I still think it happens for the Lucha Bros. instead, but at this point I'd rather go with the idea others have mentioned of Ortiz & Santana doing it at Grand Slam, since it's not going to be the moment for Jungle Boy. 

Tay Conti looked great as usual and I dig Penelope/Bunny as a heel team. Main event was fun. The hour flew by really quick. All Out is stacked.

• Like 1

I’m assuming this Taya/Bunny thing is gonna lead to Anna Jay coming back to team w Taya. I hope so, anyway. Big fan. 

Kinda feels like it should’ve been Jurassic Express in the All Out match. TK has built up enough goodwill to give him the benefit of the doubt, though…

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Peck said:

Giannis was in the crowd, if you couldn't tell by the literal 20+ mentions and camera cuts during the opener. Holy shit, that was overkill. We get it. Let's try to put over the guys in the ring instead. I'm happy he had a genuinely good time, and it deserved to be shown a couple of times, but enough was enough. 

In a vacuum, these past two shows could be seen as the start of a worrying trend in AEW. After Wednesday's snoozefest, another distraction finish tonight and a nothing main event. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

He was too much in his movements.

Any other time I'd lob that one at Omega, but tonight he was fine. Maybe they exchanged minds somehow. 

Mark seemed to forget Fuego del Sol's name but he got cut off in mid pause. He needs time on Dark and Elevation to get the hang of this. Did have a couple of nice cracks on backup, though. Jericho needs to go away. Poor Ex was about to run out of breath not only doing PBP but every single fucking advertisement for the upcoming cards, whereas Tony is usually there to pick up the slack. No more four man booths, please, and balance them correctly. 

EDIT: Mark was just fine doing the interview segment as well. He has the feel of the former football player that they put in the booth to throw technical questions to, but Taz is already there and Jericho will smother anyone. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dog said:

In a vacuum, these past two shows could be seen as the start of a worrying trend in AEW. After Wednesday's snoozefest, another distraction finish tonight and a nothing main event. ?

Really enjoyed tonight's show, so even though I agree that Wednesday was mediocre for Dynamite (which is a very high bar), disagree that this is part of a downward trend. The opening tag match was awesome, and hope to see Jungle Boy win gold pretty soon, I will gladly enjoy seeing Bucks-Lucha Brothers in a cage (and just hope that Fenix doesn't seriously hurt himself trying something batshit off the cage). Glad to see Kingston confront Miro tonight, and hoping that Eddie wins his first title in AEW. I like that Cutler is almost acting like what he thinks an obnoxious jackass should be, and coming off as so over the top just because it's so far against his natural inclination. A ton of fun for an hour show, though I think it needs to be live weekly.

• Like 2