DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Totally agree on Private Party.  Matt's 'Big Money' persona has hit the mark for me from the outset, but I've always been a fan of heel Hardy.  I'd love to see that promo you mention.  Any idea what episode or date that might be?  

Timestamped

• Thanks 2

On rewatch I liked this episode. I'll share with you the key to my enjoyment. First, watch the FITE TV version with uninterrupted matches.  Luchas v Blondes, Top guys v Wingmen and even the Velvet v Hayter match benefit greatly.  Hayter looked great live and even better on the second round.  FFWD thru the Jericho segment and the Gunn Club six man.  And turn up the volume for the terrific promos by Malakai, Miro, Dan Lambert/Men of the Year, Dark Order, Andrade, and FTR.  The comedy brilliance of Don Callis and his protege Kenny Omega alongside the classy Christian Cage also made for a nice TV segment.  The Punk-Schiavone classic TNT style Interview worked on views 1 and 2.  And kudos to creative for finding some time for Tay Conti.  She is a radiant beam of light. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A bit late to the party, some thoughts watching the show:

Loved most of the first row on the hard cam all wearing sunglasses during OC’s match. No hands Swanton is low-key very impressive. 

I like Alex Abrahantes as Penta’s translator/hype guy, but someone should really tell him to take a step back and dial it down a bit. He comes out and poses with The Lucha Bros and Pac as if it was the Cuadrado de la Muerte.

Loved the Daniel Bryan tease by Punk and the crowd did too. 

I’m so hyped for Eddie vs Miro, inject that shit into my veins.

Mox is looking thicc, cultivate that mass bro.

“You think you know me?”

No idea why they’re featuring rhe freaking Gunn Club in the show right after Punk’s debut. I can accept Brock Anderson because we all knew he was gonna get murdered,  but seriously, Colt and Austin Gunn? I marked out for Arn blocking the kick but not sure what the end game for this storyline is right now, Black should be doing something at All Out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Big Bubba Drake moves the needle 

I'm not ashamed to say that I love the absolute shit out of JD Drake. I'm not going to say he moves MY needle (after having to read about the tumescence of some of y'all after CM Punk's return, your euphemisms may vary), but I thoroughly enjoy everything he does. 

15 minutes ago, eikerir said:

No idea why they’re featuring rhe freaking Gunn Club in the show right after Punk’s debut. I can accept Brock Anderson because we all knew he was gonna get murdered,  but seriously, Colt and Austin Gunn? I marked out for Arn blocking the kick but not sure what the end game for this storyline is right now, Black should be doing something at All Out.

I'm afraid they are keeping Black in a holding pattern by putting him against people who are peripherally Cody related until Cody returns. It seems a waste of one of their most talented performers to me. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Agree with the consensus on the whole of this being an average (at least for Dynamite) show, but it was more due to weird pacing and a couple of missed opportunities. I was good with the first hour of the show, and actually have enjoyed Jericho-MJF feud (but agree that All Out needs to be the feud ender). I could understand having a match like Gunn Club-Factory on Dynamite in the early era, before AEW fully fleshed out the roster. However, no reason to have two level Dark level factions against each other on Dynamite with this loaded roster now. Also, while there was nothing last night that will damage Black long-term, he should have beat the shit out of anyone that dared rush the ring to protect the honor of Cody/Nightmare Family. Him backing off of Lee Johnson is too old school booking for my taste (of course, I also view Black as the good guy in this feud, but seriously would book him as a straight killer that is evil, and not having any cowardice factor in). Strongly agree that he should be booked on All Out, and I'd have him take out Kojima before the Moxley match and have him beat Moxley (to help start Moxley down the road towards a heel turn that he started teasing a couple of weeks ago). 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

It’s a small thing but MJF’s use of “bud” as his go-to vocative sounds off to me delivery wise (whereas Mox’s use of “dude” is some good shit)

In the catholic grade school I went to, one of the nuns would angrily call one of us "BUD" (really leaning hard on that B and D) when she was really pissed at us.  So this shit gives me bad flashbacks.

On the MJF promo tip, for every one instance when he's really good, he does five things that are too cute, too corny, or too "LARPing as a heel wrestler."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I'm sorry to be negative, but I just can't watch Red Velvet without thinking at some point in every match that she is going to injure herself or her opponent with her green bullshit. I hope the experiment ends soon. Everything she is perceived to bring to the table can be accomplished with Kiera Hogan. 

I'll be the lone Red Velvet supporter then because while she is green, I feel she's shown a lot of potential so far, she's making everyone's offense look like gold and she's an ok talker, decent amount of charisma, she will get there.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll be the lone Red Velvet supporter then because while she is green, I feel she's shown a lot of potential so far, she's making everyone's offense look like gold and she's an ok talker, decent amount of charisma, she will get there.

Nah, I like Red Velvet too. I thought she did an admirable job as Brandi’s stand in last year and improves every time she’s in the ring. She seems at ease in front of the camera and her stuff with Swole & KiLynn King on the Darks has been really fun…

• Like 2

I think Red Velvet is fine even if she is petty green at times. Her ceiling might be bootleg Sasha though just based on her size and movement and propensity to nearly kill herself. 

I think the main issue with Red Velvet is character. In-ring she’s generally decent, her bumping is good and she really helped put Hayter over here. She does have a tendency to maybe try too much which leads to sloppiness, but I’d assume she’ll iron that out over time. But her presentation - named after a cake, ‘straight outta your mama’s kitchen’, ‘stir it up’ - is incredibly lame. And despite the ring work being fine for a smaller, fired up babyface, she doesn’t come across as likeable or sympathetic.

It’s a similar issue for much of the women’s division and it’s kind of making Britt’s run a bit of a dud for me, because the characters underneath her are so underdeveloped. Its unsatisfying watching a heel do obvious heelish things to cheers and babyfaces being booed for making saves.

• Like 2

Just to expand on this, I think Statlander has the same problem. Decent in-ring and I like the pairing with Best Friends, she has that same natural laid-back, goofy charsima that makes the group work (I’m not feeling the Yuta pairing by contrast, as he doesn’t have that natural like-ability). But she just hasn’t had any character development. The alien thing is strange in that it’s her whole character but it’s also largely insignificant. I mean it’s an ok look, but it’s kind of goofy. That’s fine, goofy can work but they’ve never actually done anything with it, it just feels kind of pointless.

• Like 2

I didn't get a chance to really say anything but I generally liked the episode.  Yeah, the layout was weird but I still enjoyed things like the opener, Wingmen getting destroyed and Malakai being king shit (could have done without Lee running him off but I digress)  I need to re-watch Jayme/Red but it just seemed really clunky and it appeared Velvet was the main reason.  Which sucks because I really like her.  But Hayter was awesome and she should be an instant contender.  Heck, as somebody pointed out earlier once Britt defends a couple more times she should play off past history and turn on Britt.  It honestly would have been something I would have done first so Britt can transition to being a face.  Because be it Red or Kris they're instantly likeable yet it's odd hearing them booed against Britt.  Even Tay might get some boos if she were to challenge and she's IMO damn near impossible to boo.

I'm happy for the rating and John's gif kills me.  So their gamble to feature folks like Gunn Club paid off as I thought Colton looked pretty good.  But Punk won't be there all the time so hopefully they get back to loading up shows and not pushing them off to Rampage.

• Like 1