DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Bit of a dead show. Closing out with Lee Johnson running off Black was a choice.

Not sure I've ever seen Hayter before but she looked good. Match was a bit dead as they had the death spot and Velvet's green-ness was coming out, but Hayter hits hard and is pretty physical. Taking those dives with a flat-back bump made them look better than usual.

How have we not had any Kingston promos on Miro yet???

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 2

This was...ok. Not the best Dynamite or anything, but I thought it was fine. Very much a treading water/WCW Saturday Night feeling show.

Someone said it very early in this thread, but you could keep all of these matches and interviews and rearrange them to make a better show. 

Like, Black is fucking awesome, but no one is watching too see what the Nightmare Family is going to do. They're the second weakest stable in AEW and the Factory is probably the first. It's just a collection of prospects and jobbers that shouldn't be anywhere near the main event. They could still be on Dynamite but no one gives a fuck about Lee Johnson. 

I liked the Blondes vs Taunt Spam Express. I really loved the end where each team didn't do the typical fighting each other shit when the Bucks pushed JE into Death Triangle.

Hayter's catches were a thing of beauty. I'd let her catch my newborn daughter.

Black vs Brock was whatever. If it was me putting that match together, I'd have had Black keep beating the shit out of Brock like it was Zeus beating the shit out of the Man in White in No Holds Barred. Just utterly destroy him. Or a better comp would be Real Brock vs Zach Gowen. 

Thought the interviews were all solid. Punk is still king sized on the mic and Miro's promo was the shit. 

I laughed more than a few times watching the Wingmen get their asses kicked. 

Mox vs Kojima 10 years ago would be fine. Mox vs Kojima now is disappointing as fuck. That's the best NJPW would offer up? I get TK backed himself into a corner on this one and probably had to take what he could get after initially thinking they'd get Tanahashi, but man this sucks. Then again, it feels like everyone in NJPW has COVID. I would honestly have just moved on from the Mox vs someone from NJPW stuff and hoped people would have just forgotten about hyping up Tanahashi.

I personally would be using Starks more than Danny Garcia, but Garcia's use lately has felt like he's the reliever they got in a trade so let's go to him in the bullpen early to see what he's got.

I didn't even watch the Factory trios match. 

Dynamite is usually laid out better than this. Everything was just weirdly booked tonight as far as the order goes and eat they felt was important. Next week should be huge. 

Oh, actually, it really does feel like TK is sacrificing cool shit in Dynamite to put it all on Rampage instead. Not sure about that strategy in the long run since Dynamite is the flagship even if Rampage isn't a b show.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I personally would be using Starks more than Danny Garcia, but Garcia's use lately has felt like he's the reliever they got in a trade so let's go to him in the bullpen early to see what he's got.

Starks is a bit stuck here. They already have a arrogant heel they are pushing as a main eventer in MJF, and Starks is roughly as good as him on the stick and in the ring. They've thrown their lot fully behind MJF while Starks barely gets on TV, and when he does it's like a 2 minute segment. Pairing him against a guy who can't promo back hasn't helped, but Starks is getting massively overlooked I think. He's only had 4 matches on TV this year!

Actually, thinking about it some more because it's 5 am and I'm up with my daughter, this was such a huge, huge mistake. I think in any other week booking the matches they booked would have been fine, but you're coming off a Rampage where Punk brought in over 500k more viewers, those people are going to the into Dynamite, and while they're going to see exciting present and future acts, there was just way too much Nightmare Family, the Factory, and maybe even Matt Hardy. 

I get being proud of your roster and your prospects, but this was not the night to showcase them. 

• Like 3

It's a balancing act between building up the new show, AEW Rampage a must see while not taking away from the flagship show in AEW Dynamite. This AEW Dynamite was a misstep moreso by been the first follow up to CM Punk's AEW debut and wanting to keep those new viewers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hector said:

Weird booking tonight. Putting an obvious squash match in the main event slot so they can build to another obvious squash match. Putting Mox, Darby and Kingston in a random trios so they can build up a feud that has jack shit to do with All Out. Having Miro cut another promo on Kingston with no response.

Absolutely.  The timing and delays of feuds is something they need to put focus on correcting.  They should have learned from the flat response to the long delayed first LAX-FTR match.    

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

It's such awful timing to have a show like this after the hype. But maybe it gets the highest rating ever and people liked it. Let's see. 

The rating should be higher due to the interest of a Punk return.  Whether they liked it is another story.  Tho, for a really weak Dynamite there was still plenty to enjoy.  I watched with a casual who was really into it.  

7 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Moxley asking for Tanahashi and getting Kojima, is like asking for Terry Funk, and getting Dick Slater.  or... Bunkhouse Buck. 

I think the name you were looking for is Jimmy Jack Funk.  But honestly I'd pay to see Mox against prime Slater, Golden or Jesse Barr.  As for Kojima, I assume they had to settle on somebody not in the G1.  It's just an opponent to feed a win to Mox.  I'm sure they'll have a good undercard bout.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

I’m guessing the downshift to a lower gear this week is to protect the PPV buyrate.  I see this kind of episode all the time in HBO shows (for example).  This way a penultimate episode and finale will always appear as an upswing.  Want to call it a “let me up episode”?

That being said, this weeks Dynamite, taken on its own merits… not that great.  Especially during an embarrassment of riches weekly episodes have often been.  

Still super fucking geeked for the ppv.  

I was a big Kojima fan in the 200's, but, yeah, in 2021, he's a bit underwheming as an opponent for Mox.  Particularly since Meltzer claimed the original plan for All Out was Tanahashi vs. Mox (sounded like match was canceled due to backstage politics; presumably NJ and AEW couldn't agree on who would take the fall).

I mean, I don’t care if Jericho leaves, because we have CM Punk, and Danielson in about a month, and god knows who else. But I don’t see Jericho “retiring” or leaving AEW when the company is this hot.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I was a big Kojima fan in the 200's, but, yeah, in 2021, he's a bit underwheming as an opponent for Mox.  Particularly since Meltzer claimed the original plan for All Out was Tanahashi vs. Mox (sounded like match was canceled due to backstage politics; presumably NJ and AEW couldn't agree on who would take the fall).

Tanahashi had to stay in Japan because champ Shingo has COVID and they had to run a new main event.

• Sad 1

KENTA also tweeted that he had COVID (he's better now) and he's sorry for any change of plans that caused, so maybe he was the back-up plan for Tanahashi, and Kojima is now the third choice. And of course, Kojima himself is now tweeting that he knows he's "not famous to wrestling fans around the world", which is kind of a downer. But I'm confident that he and Mox can lariat, chop, and generally welt eachother for 10 minutes and bring folks around. 

Are they planning on using Suzuki to team with Archer for a match against Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page? He’s going to be here in the states doing indies and NJPW US shows, what, a week or two after All Out? Or the week of?

Too bad the Forbidden Door has largely forgotten about NOAH, poor Kingston might never get his Akiyama match.

26 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

KENTA also tweeted that he had COVID (he's better now) and he's sorry for any change of plans that caused, so maybe he was the back-up plan for Tanahashi, and Kojima is now the third choice. And of course, Kojima himself is now tweeting that he knows he's "not famous to wrestling fans around the world", which is kind of a downer. But I'm confident that he and Mox can lariat, chop, and generally welt eachother for 10 minutes and bring folks around. 

It'll undoubtedly be a solid, fine-to-good match similar in nature to Nagata/Mox. Hell, I think in some ways Kojima is better than Nagata. It's just that they teased Tanahashi and we know they have stars over here that aren't in the G1, so it comes off as Moxley and Khan getting played by the company that has often taken advantage of their American partners over the past ~10 years. I would rather see Moxley work half the AEW roster at this stage than old bread man and I was a big Kojima guy back in the day and he can still go last I saw. Maybe the Chicago fans will this to greatness but it's such a letdown after the initial tease and possible replacements once we heard Tanahashi was returning to Japan. After he beat Archer, it seemed like the situation got more complicated. Then all the covid stuff happened. If we got this news at the tail end of a fire or even average Dynamite and during an excellent ppv build I wouldn't mind half as much, but it is a confluence of bad things here between a dud episode and a relatively weak PPV build. Bless Punk or All Out would be looking really rough, despite some matches looking great on paper.

• Like 1