DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The whole rundown!

CM Punk doin' thangs:  Officially, it's "CM Punk makes his first Dynamite appearance."  Looking forward to it, should be cool.  Some Darby angle advancement?  It's pretty awesome how this super hot babyface returns and AEW isn't going to shy from booking him against another top babyface.

The Factory vs Billy Gunn and his Silly Sons: This is like punishment for all the smart asses who saw Mox/King/Darby vs 2.0 & Garcia and were like, "Why is this AEW Dark match on Dynamite LOL?"  Not looking forward to this, hoping it's short.

Red Velvet vs Jamie Hayter: Hayter's just coming in and Velvet is on the way down, so this is the match to build Hayter up, right?  I can't remember if I've ever seen Hayter work.  Can anybody better-versed than me say if this should be good?

OC vs Matt Hardy: Ooof, I just don't care about Matt Hardy at all.  Hoping this is the Best Friends/HFO blowoff.

Blonds vs Lucha Bros tag title eliminator: Looking forward to this one. 

Mox/King/Darby vs Wingmen: Why is this AEW Dark match on Dynamite LOL?  Just kidding.  This should be very good and will probably be the opener, right?  I love how the simple concept of actual motherfucking friendship is such a thing in AEW instead of other promotions where your friends are clearly just people waiting to screw you over.  The opener last week just had me smiling ear to ear.  Darby, Mox, King, Sting, are all friends and Sting is a fucking legend and they went over and everybody was happy.  Friends aren't turning on each other and legends are treated like actual legends and it's so easy and fun.

Malakai Black commits the murder act on Brock Anderson: I hope Anderson wears better-fitting tights this time.

Chris Jericho discusses his future: Hoping it's a fun angle, curious about where it's going.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I was thinking they were setting up the Mox/Eddie/Darby trio for the hypothetical Trios belts, but now I’m thinking that if you throw Punk in that mix, you’ve got a badass babyface group that could be the next big program for The Pinnacle.

• Like 2

Don't get why they're mailing in this episode. This is Punk's first advertised appearance and they're swinging for the fences with... The Factory, The Wingmen, The Gunn Club, and Brock Anderson all having matches? If they wanted to dial it back and not use a lot of the big names for whatever reason, they could have at least showcased the young dudes Punk has put over. Have a Hobbs match, have a Varsity Blonds match, have a Ricky Starks match. At least thematically that would make sense.

It'll also be interesting to see how Rampage does this week. I believe it's being taped tonight after Dynamite (they don't have a Friday live event listed anywhere). Let's see if the audience tunes in when spoilers are out there for it. Maybe they stack Rampage with the big names hoping that's how you counter the spoilers? I don't know, after how awesome Punk's debut was last week, this week seems like a big step back.

• Sad 1

I really hope this Andrade/Death Triangle program isn’t leading to a Lucha Bros turn. They have been insanely over with live crowds since going back on the road, and it would seem like a bad case of WWE-esque fighting the fans to try to force them into a heel box. I’m hoping for a swerve, and Andrade puts together his own crew. ROH doesn’t seem to have access to the Forbidden Door, so the most obvious guys are off the table, but I would *settle* for, like, Taurus and Vikingo.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

Punk’s segment will (of course) be a Tony Schiavone interview, according to Tony’s podcast. It was supposed to happen at Rampage but they changed it last minute.

@NoFistsJustFlips isn’t Varsity Blondes/Lucha Bros tonight?

Over/Under how long will it take for Punk to take the mic from him, and he walks off flustered.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Don't get why they're mailing in this episode. This is Punk's first advertised appearance and they're swinging for the fences with... The Factory, The Wingmen, The Gunn Club, and Brock Anderson all having matches? If they wanted to dial it back and not use a lot of the big names for whatever reason, they could have at least showcased the young dudes Punk has put over. Have a Hobbs match, have a Varsity Blonds match, have a Ricky Starks match. At least thematically that would make sense.

It'll also be interesting to see how Rampage does this week. I believe it's being taped tonight after Dynamite (they don't have a Friday live event listed anywhere). Let's see if the audience tunes in when spoilers are out there for it. Maybe they stack Rampage with the big names hoping that's how you counter the spoilers? I don't know, after how awesome Punk's debut was last week, this week seems like a big step back.

They might not want to truck everyone from Chicago to Milwaukee when they’re back in Chicago next week.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

It's Wednesday. You know what that means.

Colton Gunn stacking up another W. 

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(also Shawn Spears is still a thing?)

This is the best version we are ever going to see! Fun short promos and matches that over deliver. I'm glad he's found his spot. Super subtle blade job with the knees at the end of a big blow off match last week (his best singles match to date regardless of company, right?). 

This show looks dire on paper. I don't get it either beyond just repeating the Rampage strategy of leaning on Punk, in what will be his first booked appearance for a major show in 7 years. 

Hayter did work Dynamite before covid and while not featured prominently impressed me. I've seen bits of her in Stardom too. She's good and really gets being a heel. It should be a near squash tonight to establish her. Back to Dark for Velvet for now. 

If they are not having the Lucha Bros go over the Bucks, I feel like they gotta pull the trigger with Pentagon soon either way. Title or heel turn on his bruddah. I'm tired of seeing these two languish in the midcard when they should both be main event players. Seems to me they're leaning towards Jurassic Express for the title match after the fantastic match last week that featured a shit tonne of interference (hence the need for a cage in the rematch). If so, do something else with Penta and Fenix while you go with JE. Not digging them and Pac vs Andrade unless they're able to bring in Lee and Rush. 

• Like 1

Shawn Spears right now is pretty good. This has been the best use of him. He's obviously talented in ring, but he just has too much good hand/jobber stink on him to get to the next level. And that's fine. Dude has a wrestling school with Breeze and lots of guys have made a good living by being a good hand. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, just drew said:

They might not want to truck everyone from Chicago to Milwaukee when they’re back in Chicago next week.

You know that's not how it works right? Talent don't stay in a city for weeks with nothing to do. They fly in for the event. Then they fly home the next day. Everyone that worked Rampage flew out on Saturday. And generally they fly in just about everyone to Dynamite, even if they aren't booked. That way they have them there to film promotional stuff in their downtime / in case something comes up and they need to use people that weren't originally written into the show.

Do you know how much money the boys would lose paying for their own hotel rooms for two weeks straight waiting for All Out weekend?? lol

They are taping Rampage tonight, right? I just saw some twitter shit about a guy getting booted out of nxt last night for posting spoilers, lol. 

So that means the Milwaukee crowd is getting Dynamite and Rampage... But what of next week's elevation and dark? Did they tape anything more at the Chicago show or was it Rampage and this week's Dark? 

I'm not a fan of Factor/Gunn Club on the show but I hope they impress.  On paper it seems like the foot's off the gas a bit but at least there's more matches compared to last week. So considering last week was way too promo-heavy for my liking I'll take it.  And hey, can't go wrong with Punk, Black and Mox/King/Darby which should make for a fun time.

Do we get more Dan Lambert though? ? I could see him ripping on the crying Punk fan for some cheap heat, brother. Sigh me up. Archer and ??? vs. The Men of the Year at All Out with Dan Lambert on a pole? 

AEWs well deserved goodwill means tonight I’ll dare to be surprised by such things as a Gunn Club-Factory bout.  I also have great faith in the criminally underrated QT Marshall.  The only thing I’m not interested in is another Jericho town hall.  Babyface Jericho promos are the absolute pits.  Malakai-Brock, Wingmen-top guys, Blondes-Luchas, Punker, this doesn’t feel like an off week to me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sigh me up.  

Good typo. A phrase for when you find something tiresome or predictable, yet are also enthusiastic to see it continue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

According to a boomerang on Adam Scherr's Instagram stories, he is in Milwaukee today. Could be nothing, could be something. 

It would certainly explain the seemingly weak-on-paper card, but I'm a little shaky on that signing if true. I think the only way I'd get behind a Strowman signing would be as a package deal with Bray Wyatt and Rowan, but that's probably very cost-prohibitive at this point.