DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 8/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

How green is Ridge Holland?  He seems like a fairly obvious candidate to win the title if they're looking to take NXT in a new direction.

Oddysey Jones has my attention.  He has an good look and size.  Seems to have fair charisma.  Can he talk?

The opening match was fun, though I can't tell if Burch and Lorcan are supposed to be aligned with Holland or just beating people up for the hell of it.

I thought the six man was a bit short for a match that had been built up for a while, but they're clearly going to keep the feud going for a while.

Xyon Quinn is quite a specimen and it looks like he's the example of a PC guy from another sport with no prior experience they're trying to build.

Kacy and Kayden are continuing to get better and are ready for a bigger push.

Surprised Jones didn't go over in the tournament final as he's just the type of guy they're looking for. Hayes isn't bad but he hasn't done anything to stand out for me so far.

I'm here for a Joe/Dunne program but their segment was hampered by the rest of the people getting involved. KOR, Holland, and Knight could have easily started their beef in a different segment that wouldn't have taken away from Joe and Dunne.

• Like 1

6 man tag was great and didn't overstay it's welcome. I was wondering if Legado would bring in someone to deal with B Fab. If I had to guess it would have been the Chilean luchador they have on the roster (I assume she's still on the roster). But this should be fine.

I actually like that after a big PPV Joe would have a group of challengers that would have to be sorted out.

Hayes winning over Jones doesn't move me one way or another, but we'll see how things pan out for those guys going forward. I do dig both though. Is Hayes a Johnny Kickpads guy ?

Boa losing was unexpected, guess he's getting more torture in the future.

Oh and previously, Pat McAfee's muscle was Holland, but he got hurt catching Oney on a dive, McAfee then helps Oney and Burch get gold, Dunne joins up and we get WarGames versus the UE. Pat's run ends, Oney and Burch get injured and Dunne is running around solo but now the crew is back I guess?

Edited by Ramo2653

Holland looks like a young Brock. They gave me a Timmy singles match (and even had it run through the break) so I'm calling this one a success. 

I was kinda cheesed that they didn't even bring up the UK title change in the open but walked in on the breakdown of it later... to see that they B&W'd a closeup of Ilja. Guys, it's a bruised chest and some stitches, not a match that goes in the Bloodsucking Freaks thread. 

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

How green is Ridge Holland?  He seems like a fairly obvious candidate to win the title if they're looking to take NXT in a new direction.

I thought Holland vs. Thatcher was essentially the WWE machine vs. Indy talent. I liked Ridge Holland's whole look and slight tribute to Fit Finlay (he needs a bigger shillelagh though for that). But it's clear he's what the PC Machine will be churning out vs. Thatcher who was part of the Indy class that Triple H was buying up.

Kacy/Kayden vs. Gigi/Jacy was decent. Nice to see Jacy and Gigi finally join up with Mandy officially.

Holland/Thatcher was decent fun. Glad to see Burch back. I assume Dunne, Holland, Burch, and Lorcan are the big team to face at War Games come November. Really want to see Holland and Dunne taking on Joe at some point.

Gargano's segment with Regal was fun. Looking forward to him vs. Knight.

Good to Hudson getting used already with him going after O'Reilly.

The farewell between Dibiase and Grimes was fun.

Hayes/Jones was nice while it lasted. Can't say I was happy with the winner. Hayes does nothing for me at the moment while Jones has plenty of charisma and reminds me of Mark Henry with that look and power.

Legado vs. Hit Row was good. Curious who the new girl is.

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

I thought Holland vs. Thatcher was essentially the WWE machine vs. Indy talent. I liked Ridge Holland's whole look and slight tribute to Fit Finlay (he needs a bigger shillelagh though for that). But it's clear he's what the PC Machine will be churning out vs. Thatcher who was part of the Indy class that Triple H was buying up.

Holland was trained by Marty Jones. 

• Like 1

I've been wondering who Legado was going to get as their female equalizer against B-Fab since Mercedes got canned. Independently, I was also thinking during KLR's squash about who that latina jobber was a few weeks back (against Franky Monet I think) and when she'd be back, so imagine my surprise at the finish to the show. Good 6-man too, warms my heart to see Lucha Underground front and center.

Kacy/Kayden are awesome and I'm glad more people are recognizing that. Hopefully Mandy Rose can straighten out Dolin and Jayne. I really like what I've seen from Dolin (not familiar with her work as Priscilla Kelly), but Jayne needs some help. There's no clearer contrast in being a character and trying to be a character than Dolin and Jayne's entrance.

I'm a little worried about a Ridge Holland overpush, but he's totally fine as muscle for Dunne and 1-2. Hopefully they remember it took 2+ years to develop Batista.

Xyon Quinn beating Boa would feel like a big directional shift, except no one cares about Boa.

I haven't seen the show live for some time as I tend to watch it a few days later.  But I caught it last night and liked what I saw.  I'm glad that Dibiase's done and that Grimes doesn't have the Million Dollar belt to worry about.  It was a nice sendoff and now after finishing a really fun feud Grimes is set for a real championship.  I'm thinking North American title for now until things clear up in the NXT title picture a bit.  As for the breakout final it's pretty clear to me that Odyssey's getting called up soon.  So might as well give it to Carmello who I think is good in his own right.  And the main was really enjoyable.  With somebody to counter B-Fab it adds another wrinkle to their feud which I like.  Bonus points to the dude in the El Hijo del Phantasma mask which Escobar pointed out.

I now want Cameron's gimmick to be guy in crowd with replica belt.  Kidding aside I love grimes and I love stacking money to the moon.  I would also love a skit where Ted and Cameron do the billionaire vanity flight to space.

I also enjoy Johnny goofy dad so that is a plus.

Will see where they go with oddessy.  It looks like they may have something but still seems really green. 

I think Odyssey Jones gets hotshotted to the main roster before he’s ready.  He’s green, but he also has size, charisma, and a unique look.  And NXT is a bit short on main roster prospects right now, so….

While it's tough to argue against spending time learning the basics and getting comfortable in the ring, it is possible for some people to benefit from going straight to the main roster. Omos is a recent example where it seems unlikely that he would've gained much from any kind of NXT run. While NXT may be in some kind of flux, it's still workrate-oriented enough that someone like Jones might wear out his welcome quickly if overpushed which would be counterproductive for his development.

Melo, while rather generic in personality, seems a lot more polished in the ring and can keep up enough with the NXT style that a prolonged stint there should help him a lot.

For GiGi (Gigi?), I'm not sure what was worse: her blatant Marilyn Manson rip-off riff theme that never gets going, or her doing the Bronco Buster. It's the latter, no one needs to see that move come back.  Then again, that theme is TERRIBLE. Like I thought it was bad when Impact lost the Marilyn Manson Decay theme and replaced it with something vaguely simliar. But this is just blatant.

I sincerely hope that this year's Break Out tournament final  wasn't decided because they wanted to finally make money off the T-shirt design for the last year's winner they weren't able to capitalize on. Good luck, Carmelo!

Joe didn't need to wait for challengers, but Dunne won't get one until tge next Takeover, unless WALTER comes back to challenge Joe there!

Ridge Holland, fuck yeah!

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Joe didn't need to wait for challengers, but Dunne won't get one until tge next Takeover, unless WALTER comes back to challenge Joe there!

Are they doing War Games this year? If so I'm not sure there will be another Takeover before then.

Just now, Eivion said:

Are they doing War Games this year? If so I'm not sure there will be another Takeover before then.

Yeah, I have no idea, but it may be awhile. L.A. Knight may indeed be the first challenger, just so Joe can indeed kill someone.

Also, did you notice that KOR had a shitty night? Thatcher, too!