DVDVR Message Board

SHANG CHI & THE SPOILERS OF THE 10 RINGS

On 11/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, Brandon Bones said:

I was grumbling on the app menu about this whole “IMAX Enhanced” feature.  “What the fuck does that mean?”  

LOL same here.  I was like, "can my TV do this?"  And then I found the menu that lets you choose which version (theatrical or IMAX) you can watch, and that confused me more.  I think we watched the IMAX version?  I admit I had been drinking.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica Henwick had her own leap of faith to take. Best known for playing Nymeria Sand on Game of Thrones and Colleen Wing on Iron Fist, she was up for a role in Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings at the same time she was up for the role of Bugs in The Matrix Resurections. Both Disney and Warner Bros. knew about the other offer and gave her an ultimatum: She could audition for their movie only if she forfeited the competing project. Neither role was guaranteed. "It was a red-pill/blue-pill moment for me," she says.

I really like Jessica Henwick's Colleen Wing. Was she to return to that role in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings or someone new? Xialing? Katy?

Edited by The Natural

On 11/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, Technico Support said:

LOL same here.  I was like, "can my TV do this?"  And then I found the menu that lets you choose which version (theatrical or IMAX) you can watch, and that confused me more.  I think we watched the IMAX verison?  I admit I had been drinking.

Checked it out.  It’s definitely wider and screenier.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 6:27 AM, The Natural said:

Jessica Henwick had her own leap of faith to take. Best known for playing Nymeria Sand on Game of Thrones and Colleen Wing on Iron Fist, she was up for a role in Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings at the same time she was up for the role of Bugs in The Matrix Resurections. Both Disney and Warner Bros. knew about the other offer and gave her an ultimatum: She could audition for their movie only if she forfeited the competing project. Neither role was guaranteed. "It was a red-pill/blue-pill moment for me," she says.

I really like Jessica Henwick's Colleen Wing. Was she to return to that role in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings or someone new? Xialing? Katy?

On 12/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, Eivion said:

That is a shitty ultimatum with no guarantee she would be hired.

Hollywood Reporter:

In Resurrections, Henwick plays Bugs. In order to do a chemistry read for the role, Henwick had to make her own red pill/blue pill-type decision since she was also up for the role of Shang-Chi’s (Simu Liu) sister, Xialing, in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Ultimately, one of the factors in her decision to choose Bugs was that she didn’t want to put a lid on her fan-favorite Iron Fist and The Defenders character, Colleen Wing, potentially joining the MCU proper.

“If I did [Shang-Chi], I would effectively be putting Colleen to bed. It wasn’t the main factor, but it definitely came up in conversation,” Henwick tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I love Colleen. She changed my life. Of course, if I was given the opportunity to revisit her, I would, but I just don’t know how likely that is."

Jessica Henwick was great as Colleen Wing and I think she'd have nailed Xialing as well. Be interesting to see with hindsight how the choice worked out.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mandarin redeemed in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Tony Leung did a great job. Really liked how the ten rings on the fingers were turned into rings worn on the arms and how they were used. Still, the best Mandarin we had was in the trailers for Iron Man 3 and the first half of said film before the stupid twist.