DVDVR Message Board

SHANG CHI & THE SPOILERS OF THE 10 RINGS

As already noted, Shang-Chi has had fan screenings, so spoilers are out. 

My favorite was how they spent 30 minutes of the film talking about how sad they were that Tony Stark was dead.  

• Like 1

avert your eyes @odessasteps. Here be spoilers (triple boxed for everyone's safety, just like Endgame).

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Film begins with Wenwu’s past conquering civilizations through the years. It’s constantly mentioned he’s lived for a thousand years due to the power of the rings. He learns of The Great Protector and goes to a village where he meets his future wife. They fall in love and Wenwu leaves the Ten Rings behind to start a family. Young Shang-Chi and Xialing is given a necklace by his mother. We learn later his wife died and he takes up the Ten Rings again.

It then cuts to Shang-Chi or Shaun working as a valet driver with Katy. They take car for a joyride showing how Katy is a good driver. The next day Shaun and Katy are at Katy’s parents house where Katy’s mom expresses that she wants Katy to get a better job. Katy and Shaun leave in frustration and Katy’s grandmother asks Shaun when they will get married. They take the train to work when a man comes up to Shaun telling him to give him the necklace that Shaun’s mother gave him as a child. Shaun refuses and a fight begins. Shaun defeats the three men and then Razorfist comes out from the back of the bus and they fight. During the fight Razorfist destroys the breaks on the bus and almost splits the train in half. There is a funny joke about a guy vlogging the fight. Eventually, Shaun gets all the people to the front of the bus and tells Katy to make a sharp turn, splitting the bus in half. Shaun and Katy escape, but Shaun realizes during the fight Razorfist has taken the necklace and that his father sent him. They then go back to Shauns apartment where he reveals that his sister recently sent him a post card of where he thinks she lives. Katy decideds she will go with him to find her. On the plane Shaun tells Katy about his origin and real name. Shaun ran away at age 14 when his dad gave him his first mission.

Xialing, his sister, runs a underground fight club. The only real Easter egg I saw was a person fighting an extremis soldier. Wong and Abomination fight in a cage, with Wong winning after making Abomination punch himself via portal. Wong knows Abomination. Shaun is told that he will be a fighter in the ring and if he does he will be told about his sister. (He is famous after a video from the bus gets out) Shaun gets in the ring and find out his sister is his opponent. Xialing wins the fight and after they talk in her office. She is upset about Shaun leaving when they were kids and Shaun asks why she sent a post card and she reveals she did not. Then ten ring soldiers invade the building. Xialing flees and Shaun and Katy go out of the window into scaffolding. Shaun fights death dealer on the scaffolding and Katy almost dies after falling off but Xialing saves her. During this the death dealer also steals Xialings necklace. Shaun and death dealer fight inside and Shaun gets the upper hand and is about to kill him until Wenwu comes out and stops him. Wenwu tells Shaun, Xialing and Katy they need to go home, and takes them back to the compound.

When they arrive, Wenwu brings them to a shrine-like area where he shows them why he needed the pendants— he puts the two pendants onto a sculpture of a dragon to form its two eyes. Then, water surrounds them and the floor illuminates to show a maze with a special glow of a certain path. Wenwu explains that this is a clue on how to get their mother back. He explains how she is trapped inside of a cave within her village, and how the only way to get to the village is to use the path. Shaun says how this is impossible because she is dead, but Wenwu says that he hears her voice telling him to go save her. Shaun asks what they will do once they get to the village, and Wenwu says he will burn the whole city down. This makes Wenwu and Xialing mad and they say they will not help him, so he puts them (including Katy) in prison. When they are down there, they hear a strange noise. When they look towards the back of the prison, they see “the Mandarin” aka Trevor. He is practicing a monologue. It is revealed that the 10 rings took him out of federal prison and were going to kill him until the men took a liking to his performances (effectively a jester to Wenwu).

Then, they are introduced to Morris who is a furry creature with wings and no face. He is friends with Trevor. Morris is from Ta Lo (the moms village), and Trevor can translate for him to Shaun. Morris says that there is a faster way to get to the village, and he can help them get there because he wants to go home. While they are talking, Xieling digs through to the tunnel system (how she originally escaped the compound). They go through the tunnel to the garage, and steal Razor fists car (it is a gimmick car with his name graffitied all over it). They get in a high speed chase, but eventually make it out of the compound in the car. They drive to the magical bamboo forest and Morris tells them to wait for the perfect moment. The bamboo opens and they have to stay within the confines of the opening which is rapidly moving. Katy is driving and although it is close, they make it to the waterfall that takes them to Ta Lo. The people of Ta Lo are waiting for them and do not accept them until Shauns aunt comes out and welcomes them to the village. They are told about and ancient evil that eats souls and many cities fell to it and was only defeated by the help of a dragon. Shang Chi and Xialing are given dragon scale armor (a gift from their mother). Katy trains with a bow and arrow and Shaun trains with his aunt to learn the dragon magic fighting style.

We get a flashback to Shang-Chi’s mother’s death. She hides her children before dying at the hands of the “Iron Gang” who says she has to pay for her husbands sins. Wenwu retaliates and uses the rings to kill them. We find out Shang-Chi’s mission where he ran away was to kill the last person responsible for his mothers death. During a scene with Katy and Shang-Chi, he says he’s gonna kill his father.

The ten rings comes and attacks the village and a battle ensues. Shang-Chi fights Wenwu. Wenwu wins knocking Shang into the water. He the opens the cave where the evil bat thing is in a little bit and little bats come out and start eating souls. The 10 rings and the villagers team up and the 10 rings soldiers realize there weapons cannot defeat the bats. The dragon awakens Shang and after this Shang can use his magic (kind of like an emotional awakening). Shang gets out of the water and fights Wenwu gaining control of all 10 rings. He is about to kill his father but then stops because he doesn’t want to be an assassin. The giant evil bat soul thing breaks loose and takes Wenwu who gets the rings back. Wenwu gets his soul eaten but before he dies he symbolically passes the rings to Shang. Shang and Xialing ride the dragon defeating a few baby bats. The dragon does a water move almost defeating the bad but the bat has eaten to many souls and becomes bigger. The bat then try’s to eat the dragons souls and meanwhile, Xialing almost gets taken by the big bat but Shang says he will not let her go again. Katy shoots the bat in the neck stopping it. Shang chi puts the 10 ring into the bats stomach and falls through the air doing the dragon magic fighting and the rings explode the bat. Sometime during the battle Morris sees Trevor lying on the ground assuming he is dead. Trevor then gets up and tells Morris that he is acting and Morris should play dead too. The town remembers the fallen and the dragon leaves.

Then Shang and Katy are at dinner with a high school friend that they went to dinner with at the beginning of the film. They tell her the story of the battle and she thinks they are crazy until Wong shows up via Sling-ring and ask Shang and Katy is they have the rings and to come with him. They all go to the Sanctum.

Mid Credit Scene

First post credit scene is Wong with Shang-Chi and Katy in the Sanctum. They are talking with BRUCE BANNER (human form, not professor hulk) and CAPTAIN MARVEL (has long hair now) and they talk about the Ten Rings as a power just showing up and how there’s other things in the universe they must not know about. Bruce and Carol are there using the same kind of hologram tech Natasha uses to talk with them in Endgame. They also mention that there’s something in the Ten Rings acting as a beacon sending a signal. When Katy and Shang ask where it’s sending to, Cap Marvel gets a message and she and Bruce leave. Bruce is also still wearing a sling. Wong basically says to them “welcome to the team” and it ends with the three of them going to karaoke and singing Hotel California.

Post Credit Scene

After credits, the sister is in her old room, someone says "they're here" she walks out, shes taken over her dad's palace, the 10 rings banner is now reddish, her gang is around her while she sits on the throne. zooms out and people are training and the base now has some graffiti, etc showing the new leader. "THE TEN RINGS WILL RETURN”

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Im actually pro spoiler in theory, just usuaaly not necessarily detailed or important spoilers within say 5 minutes of a tv show or 24 hours of something coming out. ?

So you should be super pro spoiler if it's three weeks before a movie comes out! ?

All in all, it seems like a pretty good flick from reading the spoilers. Doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but I'm excited to see Simu Liu in a big budget movie like this. And I love Awkwafina, so there's that too. GIVE ME MORE NORA FROM QUEENS!!!

• Like 1

I will likely be satisfied if certain nerd references are made, even if the film is average. Its okay for them to have an mostly okay movie every once in a while, given their track record. Unlike the Distinguished Competition. 

• Like 1

Andy Cheng, the fight coordinator for nearly all of Jackie Chan's movies, is the fight coordinator for Shang Chi....

As if you couldn't tell from the Jacket Fu homage to Rumble in the Bronx.

I'm all in dudes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

I thought the movie was average. Simu Liu was very bland to me.

Awkafina is painfully unfunny. There's really no reason for her character in the film other than to give Shang-Chi a comic relief sidekick. She's this movie's equivalent of Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd. 

Now that said, much like I thought about her in Raya and the Last Dragon, when her character is actually being serious and rather quiet, I think she's decent and more watchable. I think Awkafina seems to be better at dramatic material, but when she's trying to be "funny" I literally can't stand her.

I don't think they went far enough with the dysfunctional father/son relationship Wen Wu and Shang-Chi. Also, it kind of gets muddled with the sister's presence.

Now all that said, the fights and action in the movie are very good. The action looks good and is well shot. Like you can see all choreography, unlike in that piece of shit Snake Eyes, which wasn't fun to watch at all.

Secondly, I think the movie makes some questionable decisions in terms of the storytelling decisions. Like they used this thing when they should've used something else instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, I fucking loved this.  The most *fun* I've had since Ragnarok - because Infinity War was better but a massive downer.  I suppose if Awkwafina isn't your cup of tea - and she isn't always mine - this might strike you wrong, because she's clearly just a character named "Katy" doing Awkwafina things, but I thought she was good.  Also a breath of fresh air not to force a romantic subplot and to see a woman who plays an important role in one of these movies who keeps her butt the same size.

Fight choreography and set pieces were generally great.  Tony Leung was great, especially in the first hour.  The two big callback cameos were both on point.  I think I'd have to see it a few more times to see if it cracks my top 5 (IW/Ragnarok/Cap2/GOTG/Cap1), but it *could*. 

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG FUCK YOU VIBES to the goddamn Mouse for putting the Eagles on the soundtrack, though.  Seriously, fuck those guys, they don't need anyone else's money. 

Also, the two big memes from these are *definitely* going to be 1) "Or..." or... 2) it'll be Tony Leung looking back over his shoulder in the armbar at things that are not his future wife or son.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the movie.   Loved how Wenwu handwaved all of the Mandarin / Ten Rings stuff from IM3 away.  Was also cool to see that MCU Shang-Chi's sister may be taking a villainous turn the same way that Comics Shang-Chi's sister did when everything still fell under the Fu Manchu license.

I was one of the first 100 people to show up at the theaters today so I got a free Ten Rings t-shirt.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Eivion said:

Saw it earlier today/yesterday and dug it a good deal. Was nice seeing Trevor again, and they did a good job with the Mandarin/Wenwu.

I was also happy to see that Trevor survived the Marvel One Shot but to be nitpicky, I think they dropped the ball ever so slightly by not having Jackson Norriss (if that's his real name), the Ten Rings agent that kidnapped Trevor out of prison, show up in the movie.

They also took care not to show whether or not Trevor still had his prison tat of Captain America's shield on the back of his neck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Apparently, when Sir Kingsley answered the phone call from Destin Daniel Cretton about returning as Trevor for this movie, he started talking to Trevor who was "in another room", asking him if he wanted to be in Shang-Chi. That's good shit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Saw this this weekend with fam.

I really liked it as a standalone film; it filled a nice "Crouching Dragon" vibe.  The only weak spot I found was the aforementioned Awkwafina.  Is she a 2 pack a day smoker?  Her raspy voice was very distracting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally got a chance to see it today.  I had a great time.  I thought the action was top notch.  Cant say Katy was too bad, I thought she might be really annoying but that passed after a few minutes.  She wasn't nearly as annoying as Ned.  Happy to see Trevor back, really liked his parts especially the apes.

Trailers for Spidey and Eternals.  I'm looking forward to both of those.  Also saw the trailer for Venum 2 which didn't really do anything for me though I've still to see the first one so maybe I'm being too fair.

• Like 1

Just got back from a midnight showing. I think I may be getting a tad burned out on MCU offerings. Not to turn this into a measuring contest but I’ve seen every movie in theaters dating back to IM including the lousy Norton Hulk and this was the first time I found myself echoing the whole “cookie cutter” criticism. So many things just struck me as rehashed ideas like Tone Loc or whatever the magical homeland filled skilled warriors was called being Wakanda/BP lite or Awkwafina being Darcy 2.0, except 100x more annoying and given a hilariously illogical set of skills that existed just to shoehorn her into the plot.

I don’t mean to sound too negative because like all Marvel movies it was well made and entertaining. Whiles DCU movies often make me actively angry, the worst I can say about lesser MCU entries like this or IM2 or Thor 2 or Dr Strange is “eh, it was alright.” I guess it hit with the audience it was aimed at but except for the silly CGI whiz bang finale, I thought most of the movie would’ve been better served as a series where they could slow down and let the good ideas breathe.

Oh and about the big IM3 tie in, I’m utterly amazed how slavish Feige is to his continuity. Never in a million years did I expect that forgotten throwaway DVD short with Trevor to be dredged up and used. His appearance led me to rewatch IM3 and, man, those Manadarin promos were so incredible I’ll be forever torn between wishing his Mandarin actually was that scary evil bastard and enjoying the ballsy swerve of it all being a con.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It's Disney+ Day today meaning you can see Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) which I finished five minutes ago. I really enjoyed it for the story told, the performances, the Asian culture showcased, I like martial arts films and the fight choreography. Soundtrack as well.

I'll forever contend that the best Mandarin was in the trailers for Iron Man 3 (2013) and the first half of said film before that stupid twist. Sir Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was successfully reinvented as a leader of a terrorist cell in combat fatigues than the stereotype the character started out as. A menacing Mandarin. Instead we get another businessman, Aldrich Killian with a grudge against Tony Stark who was such a step down to the Mandarin we had. Having said that, I do like the reworked Mandarin we get here as Wenwu/the Mandarin and turning the finger rings to Hung Gar iron rings. Tony Leung did a great job In the part as did Simu Liu as Shang-Chi.

My updated MCU rankings would look like:

25. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

24. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

23. Iron Man 2 (2010).

22. Iron Man 3 (2013).

21. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

20. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

19. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

18. Captain Marvel (2019).

17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

16. Black Widow (2021).

15. Ant-Man (2015).

14. Thor (2011).

13. Doctor Strange (2016).

12. Black Panther (2018).

11. Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings (2021).

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

9. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

8. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

7. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

6. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

5. Iron Man (2008).

4. Avengers Assemble (2012).

3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

2. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

This was fucking awesome. I enjoyed this way more than I thought. At times, it was nearly as funny as Ragnarok. Awkwafina was hilarious. Props to Ben Kingsley not being above doing things that are silly as hell. 

Fight scenes were the shit. That bus fight is a top 5 fight scene.

Simu Liu was also more charismatic than I thought he would be. 

Just an all around super fun movie. 

• Like 5

I agree with this being the Marvel formula, just with a genre setting. It’s fine for what it is, even if most everything is fairly predictable. The cameos and references were nice. I would prob be more critical if I paid to see it and didnt just watch on D+.

(yes, i free acknowledge this is not the MOKF I would prefer to see, but no way is that happening in 2021, for all the reasons we all know). 

Edited by odessasteps

I enjoyed this.  Especially the first 2/3. Shang and Katy are so charming and the action was pretty great.  The bus scene and the scaffold fight are shot fantastically.  

I was grumbling on the app menu about this whole “IMAX Enhanced” feature.  “What the fuck does that mean?”  Well it really pays off in the Jackie Chan tribute on the scaffolding.  Whatever lenses they used for some of those shots really sold the “fear of heights” the scene was trying to impress.  

The ending was kinda there.  But mostly because the charm from the earlier part of the film isn’t present.  

Wong rules.  When he invited Katy to come along I popped because I didn’t want her to be left out.  

• Like 1