DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

Setting a PWTees sales record is pretty impressive, considering how the site was down for quite a lot of those 24 hours.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Yeah, hope some fans switched on after seeing who's there. 

I think that cutting to a quick commercial after Punk's entrance was a sneaky good move, as it gave people time to tune in knowing that they will see Punk now (and selfishly allowed the diehards to catch their breath after the amazing initial reaction).

16 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Some people are expecting 1 million plus, others think around 900 000 is more realistic.

I would be disappointed with anything under a million. It had a shit tonne of buzz, death slot or not.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Love the haters saying WWE blew AEW out of the water last night because Brock had 50,000 for his return vs 15,000 for Punk's. Like Brock sold one fucking ticket out of that entire building.

That's because those 50,000 were there for Becky. *runs away*

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

CM Punk Shirts ordered. First wrestling Shirts since 2000.

Nice! I'll be getting Bryan Danielson's first AEW merchandise. Hoping there's a full zip hoodie. If not, I think there will be one at some point. I think they'll be one for CM Punk as well as there's a number of AEW hoodies including Kenny Omega, The Dark Order and Sting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nice! I'll be getting Bryan Danielson's first AEW merchandise. Hoping there's a full zip hoodie. If not, I think there will be one at some point. I think they'll be one for CM Punk as well as there's a number of AEW hoodies including Kenny Omega, The Dark Order and Sting.

Dragon's shirt better be made out of hemp or bamboo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Meant to originally post this here:

CM Punk footed the bill himself for the ice cream bars that were given at AEW Rampage this past Friday.

In an Instagram post, Pretty Cool Ice Cream, a local ice cream shop in Chicago, said CM Punk footed the bill himself for the ice cream that was provided at the end of the show.

“Since we have been getting a lot of questions, yes the ice cream was on him- it wasn’t a publicity stunt dreamed up by promoters,” they wrote. “He came to us on his own and asked us to help him do this 2 years ago, and finally the moment was right. Our small team worked tirelessly to hand make every bar, and CM Punk wrote the check for the entire bill himself.”

Punk made his debut for AEW at Friday’s Rampage: The First Dance, held at the United Center in Chicago. Towards the end of promo, Punk said that seven years is a long time to wait for someone, and said that fans could pick up a free ice cream bar on the way out of the arena.

During the promo, Punk also called out Darby Allin for a match at All Out, which will take place on September 5 in Chicago. Allin accepted the match.

Good on CM Punk.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, DreamBroken said:

Welcome back to the team!

I was so glad this place is still around!

God, I must have started coming here in about '99.. I remember having a summer office job in high school, and and I spent most of the time reading DVDVRs and studying the Big Big Book of Wrestling Moves. I even used to print out reviews and kept them in the john for reading ?

I totally forgot Punk posted here back in the day!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

loved this, not bullshiting around, he's back for good.

Off topic tangent incoming: The great thing about this gif, and really AEW itself: if there weren't any logos visible, that could have easily come from an old Nitro. Yeah, they have production snafus at times, but hands down, AEW definitely runs the best-looking shows (or to put it another way, their shows run closest to my own aesthetic preferences for wrestling). Like, if I hit lotto and started WrestleLicious II, it wouldn't look far off from Dynamite/Rampage, save for the dual tunnel which has never been my thing. 

• Like 5

If they could only get the NJPW quality camera work and hold their shots longer, I'd be there with you. They feature way too much camera cuts for my taste. Not Kevin Dunn level but it can be pretty bad.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If they could only get the NJPW quality camera work and hold their shots longer, I'd be there with you. They feature way too much camera cuts for my taste. Not Kevin Dunn level but it can be pretty bad.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for that tonight on Elevation. I think you're probably onto something, I bet I just don't notice it as much because it's not Dunn-level bad as you noted.