DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

47 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently a few people were trying to dunk on the fan who was crying on camera. Some people in the business, even. Which has caused a few people in the business to decide they really want to embrace the guy. Like this:

Why would anyone in the wrestling business attack a fan for showing emotion? They literally want to invoke emotional responses from their audience. That’s very dumb.

Anyway, I don’t think the Punk debut and promo could have possibly gone any better if you gave them one hundred tries.

Literally my only complaint about the show was Mark Henry dismissively laughing at JR’s assertion that Garcia had a good game plan, and spewing the everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face cliche.

He did get punched in the face (and dropped on his head) but still had the former champ in a submission. Not helpful and kind of made Garcia look bad when he was getting his in the match.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Just had a look and you have to put together the threads for the past 5 WEEKS of Raw and Smackdown (25 hours of TV) + the Summerslam thread just get the same amount of discussion this 60min of Rampage has generated (so far). 

Even if interest on WWE is down here, it’s still pretty ridiculous how stark the difference is. Even the weekly Dynamite episodes get 10-15 pages of chat on the regular.

I mean… I don’t hate WWE, but the presentation is just absurd currently. Like Cena comes back, yay… oh cool, it’s Balor vs Reigns. Wait, Corbin has the contract… but Cena beat him up and signed up.

I’m not thinking it’s cool we’re getting Cena vs Reigns, I’m thinking the following. 1) WWE thinks the audience is full of idiots who don’t understand how contracts work. 2) WWE doesn’t listen to their crowds, who were buzzed about Balor vs Reigns. 3) If the goal was Cena vs Reigns, why tease Balor vs Reigns? It’s the new WWE style of just booking random stuff to fill air time. The reason I like AEW is it’s a TV show that rewards you, it’s not the same people every single week doing the same things, and there’s logic to what they do.

Like sure, I’d rather have Page vs Omega at All Out… but Christian vs Kenny has been a slow burn since March. 

So what I’m trying to say is that if WWE goes head to head with AEW, or on the same night (I’m English, earliest I can watch is the next day, work pending), I’m choosing AEW. I don’t have the time to double up, so WWE moves down the priority list. Now that said, I’ll watch Summerslam tonight because there’s no AEW.

• Like 4

The funny thing about Mark going back was he just got interrupted and talked over like Tony does every time. 

Mentioned it in the chat but he has a hell of an easy job now: sit there, say next to nothing on air, help the talent with advise in the back, cash check, go home. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Why would anyone in the wrestling business attack a fan for showing emotion? They literally want to invoke emotional responses from their audience. That’s very dumb.

Because there are alot of idiots out there lol

• Like 2

It's been an epic return, but the show was actually quite hard to sit trough afterwards. The crowd was just too exhausted after screaming so loud and couldn't really get into the matches.

Private Party vs Jurrasic Express was good, but the crowd just wasnt into it.

Cargill vs Hogan was a quick squash.

Moxley had a nice entrance and that was it. I'm not really into Garcia and they should have given him a more credible opponent to make it worthwhile. Everybody knew the result and it wasnt anything special in ring wise to justify such decision.

Either way, we will remember this show for only one thing that really delivered. Hope they can spice things up on wednsday, because the card again seems a bit underwhelming.

I dont think it will draw well past first 2 quarters. The return was great, but the rest of the show looked like a Dark taping.

850k total would be a great number.

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I do like the “Mark Henry leaves the both to go to the back then interviews the competitors live just before the main event” thing. Adds more big fight element which is always welcome.

Gives it a “local market house show” feel with the dueling promos clearly cut in the same area. Nice graphic package too.

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Mox is beefing up and it's great. I look forward to grumpy old man dad bod Mox coming in to drop dudes on their head after spending the morning mowing the lawn in his crocs with socks and drinking an ice cold High Life. 

4 AM feedings make a man surly fast. Working Mox doesn't look like much fun on a day when he hasn't been changing shitty diapers and staying awake for days on end. That baby is the biggest heel in the business now...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, just drew said:

4 AM feedings make a man surly fast. Working Mox doesn't look like much fun on a day when he hasn't been changing shitty diapers and staying awake for days on end. That baby is the biggest heel in the business now...

A FTK stable of Mox, Rhodes, and Page would be off the charts. Three new dads beating the shit out of people because they got no sleep is 10/10.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Shadow said:

A FTK stable of Mox, Rhodes, and Page would be off the charts. Three new dads beating the shit out of people because they got no sleep is 10/10.

As a newish father myself, I’d be living vicariously through them. Also, once I figured out what “ftk” stood for I had a REAL good laugh…

• Haha 1

Danhausen already interacted with CM Punk (because Danhausen started using the GTS as a finish in ROH). He calls him Pepsiman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

"I got a big fat wife and nine kids and I gotta feed 'em" 21st Century Version

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Mox is beefing up and it's great. I look forward to grumpy old man dad bod Mox coming in to drop dudes on their head after spending the morning mowing the lawn in his crocs with socks and drinking an ice cold High Life. 

I had to do a double take when Moxley’s manly visage is shown on an AEW screen.  Papa John is starting to resemble Andy Williams/The Butcher more than he doesn’t.  It’s The Butcher‘S look from a few months into their AEW time.  

The Butcher was starting to lose that Beer City Bruiser look while Moxley seems to be destined for and BCB’s look if Moxley can’t stem the tide.  We are only a few matches away from Moxley wearing sweatpants to the ring.  

Why do they only seem to “enhance” Jericho’s muscle tone in those preflight graphics?  Moxley looks like he can kickass while 240 or 420…which might add to the late feeding munchies.  Is cannabis related medicine or recreation legal in Vegas?

I don’t think Punk could have done a better job with a thousand second chances. He was one of my faves from 03-06ish.  

Two days before he left in 2014 I posted here that I thought his character was a little tired.  I had reached almost ambivalence towards Punk, especially considering Bryan’s ascension up towards the top tier of superstars.  I didn’t know yet that WWE wanted him to stay on Cesaro’s level.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JRV said:

Tony Khan said "Bix" in the media scrum and I was like dude I wonder how DVDVR is doing ❤️

9 hours ago, abayer1138 said:

I’ve been reading the Board since 2000, albeit not posting since I was too damned much of an ass on the old current affairs sub forum during the Bush years, and it’s so freaking surreal and amazing to watch the biggest night in pro wrestling in ages, starring one old board denizen with another running the show. Punk’s sporadic posts are how I first became familiar with him, and that feeling of parasocial connection made Money in the Bank feel that much more special, but this is just on another level. It’s weirdly emotional, and goddamn it make me happy to see Punk back in all his glory.

8 hours ago, Jrag said:

It's been a long time since I have checked this board and maybe longer since I have watched much wrestling. About 3-4 months ago my old college roommate came and visited and just wouldn't shut the fuck up about AEW. Thanks for that, Jordan. I've been recording episodes and really diving back in since then, and then, what do you know, the rumors start flying almost immediately that my favorite wrestler ever is about to return

Welcome back to the team!

• Like 8

Handheld from ringside. By the sounds of things, they were so loud, they couldn't hear what his music was for a good while.

• Like 5

I hate to be even a little bit negative about what was such an awesome return, (I absolutely cried and do not care who knows,) but Punk saying that he expects getting back to wrestling to be like riding a bike makes me worry he might be underestimating the difficulty of getting back into in-ring shape. I know he had stints pf time away from the ring due to injury, but he's never really done the Jericho thing of needing to come back after years away, and he's wrestling one of the fastest dudes in the business. I'm sure he's capable of getting back there, mentally and physically, (albeit he may need to adjust for the fact that he's in his 40s now,) and really the All Out crowd is gonna eat it all up regardless, but I do still wonder if there might be a ramp-up time before we can expect Punk to deliver in-ring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cristobal said:

I hate to be even a little bit negative about what was such an awesome return, (I absolutely cried and do not care who knows,) but Punk saying that he expects getting back to wrestling to be like riding a bike makes me worry he might be underestimating the difficulty of getting back into in-ring shape. I know he had stints pf time away from the ring due to injury, but he's never really done the Jericho thing of needing to come back after years away, and he's wrestling one of the fastest dudes in the business. I'm sure he's capable of getting back there, mentally and physically, (albeit he may need to adjust for the fact that he's in his 40s now,) and really the All Out crowd is gonna eat it all up regardless, but I do still wonder if there might be a ramp-up time before we can expect Punk to deliver in-ring.

It’s fine. AEW needs more chinlocks.

• Like 3