DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

I’ve been reading the Board since 2000, albeit not posting since I was too damned much of an ass on the old current affairs sub forum during the Bush years, and it’s so freaking surreal and amazing to watch the biggest night in pro wrestling in ages, starring one old board denizen with another running the show. Punk’s sporadic posts are how I first became familiar with him, and that feeling of parasocial connection made Money in the Bank feel that much more special, but this is just on another level. It’s weirdly emotional, and goddamn it make me happy to see Punk back in all his glory.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So how many of you actually said “Oh thank God”, as soon as you saw JR in Jericho’s spot?

While I enjoy Jericho on commentary and have said that JR should step away from the booth, it was a good thing to have JR in the booth last night. Having JR sounds that legitimately excited, comparing Punk's pop to MJ and saying that was the biggest moment that he has witnessed live brought that the exact type of gravitas that he is hoped to bring.

• Like 1

I’m gonna get a little personal but a buddy of mine passed away Thursday in the ICU after a two plus week fight with Covid. Punks debut and that crowd losing their shit helped me forget about it and just be in the moment for 20 minutes and I didn’t know I needed it until it was happening so thank you AEW thank you Punk and thank you Chicago. 

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I’m gonna get a little personal but a buddy of mine passed away Thursday in the ICU after a two plus week fight with Covid. Punks debut and that crowd losing their shit helped me forget about it and just be in the moment for 20 minutes and I didn’t know I needed it until it was happening so thank you AEW thank you Punk and thank you Chicago. 

Oh, man. So sorry for your loss xxx. Lost three family members to coronavirus. Sometimes you need something to take you away temporarily from what's going on.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys.

It's been a long time since I have checked this board and maybe longer since I have watched much wrestling. About 3-4 months ago my old college roommate came and visited and just wouldn't shut the fuck up about AEW. Thanks for that, Jordan. I've been recording episodes and really diving back in since then, and then, what do you know, the rumors start flying almost immediately that my favorite wrestler ever is about to return (Two favorites really. Please wear that ridiculous black cape, Bryan).

Last night had me feeling something I haven't felt in a long time. I go internet dark just before 9 PM central. Get off work at 10:30. FLY HOME. And there he is to kick off the show talking all this full-time, long-term talk! What a fucking moment that was.

I love Chicago so much. Haven't been in that building since Rose's MVP year. Too long. Punk is back. Bulls are back (ehh maybe not but it will be fun!) Justin Fields! Chicago is back.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 14

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Oh, man. So sorry for your loss xxx. Lost three family members to coronavirus. Sometimes you need something to take you away temporarily from what's going on.

Thanks and I’m sorry for your losses too. It really sucks. But man was Punks return really cool. I’ve been vocal on here about how I didn’t think Punk in AEW would work and how it’s be out of place and akin to Warrior in WCW but boy was I wrong. That crowd went apeshit. Punk looked to be genuinely taken aback by that reception and seemed like he was sincere that he’s back to make a difference, he put over Britt Baker, set up a match with Darby Allin and it was all completely awesome.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abayer1138 said:

I’ve been reading the Board since 2000, albeit not posting since I was too damned much of an ass on the old current affairs sub forum during the Bush years, and it’s so freaking surreal and amazing to watch the biggest night in pro wrestling in ages, starring one old board denizen with another running the show. Punk’s sporadic posts are how I first became familiar with him, and that feeling of parasocial connection made Money in the Bank feel that much more special, but this is just on another level. It’s weirdly emotional, and goddamn it make me happy to see Punk back in all his glory.

Wait...Punk posted here too? 

32 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Thanks and I’m sorry for your losses too. It really sucks. But man was Punks return really cool. I’ve been vocal on here about how I didn’t think Punk in AEW would work and how it’s be out of place and akin to Warrior in WCW but boy was I wrong. That crowd went apeshit. Punk looked to be genuinely taken aback by that reception and seemed like he was sincere that he’s back to make a difference, he put over Britt Baker, set up a match with Darby Allin and it was all completely awesome.

Cheers mate xxx.

I didn't think I'd be that excited about Punker returning, but last night, watching the crowd get fired up and then watching him come out, I just felt really happy. And really I believe it was just seeing him be excited. Whenever he's having fun, wrestling is usually better for it, and I'm happy he's back.

Between Justin Fields' first preseason game and Punk coming back at the UC.... it's feeling good to be a Chicagoan.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wait...Punk posted here too? 

He mostly lurked (or used a socko account), but he and Chris Hero did post as themselves once, when a yarder tried to YNBITR on American Kickboxer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

All Out is going to be fucking BONKERS. Last night was great and I hope that people who are tuning back in for the first time in years stick around to see what else AEW has to offer. 

I do wonder if now they move up Bryan's debut to get him on the All Out card. Idk. Might be flavoring the tequila. I suspect at the very least Ruby will debut in the Battle Royale, along with Cassie & Jessie. Might want to save some good shit for later.

2 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

He put over Britt Baker and Darby Allin all in ONE promo. So, two homegrown stars. That's how you use someone as big as Punk. 

Amazing job AEW's done building their homegrown stars with veterans: Sting, Chris Jericho and now CM Punk. AEW's struck the right balance the new guard with the old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of all the other stuff AEW has going on....

Moxley has been fired up lately in the promos and feels like he might have a direction for his character which is exciting. 

Even though a lot of focus is being put on Punk and the younger stars, Mox/Punk feels really exciting and dangerous to me with both guys off the leash.

• Like 9

Just now, jaedmc said:

Speaking of all the other stuff AEW has going on....

Moxley has been fired up lately in the promos and feels like he might have a direction for his character which is exciting. 

Even though a lot of focus is being put on Punk and the younger stars, Mox/Punk feels really exciting and dangerous to me with both guys off the leash.

I wonder if Mox will be one of the "scores to settle in the locker room" that Punk has. Punk named him specifically as a guy he wants to work with, and I'm sure Punk's friendship with Renee bolsters his desire to work Mox, too...