DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

what a wonderful moment. One of the all time best entrances ever that will always be remembered. Loved when he just dove into the crowd on the ramp. Really great to see Punk come off so visibly genuinely happy. Excellent promo and the line about getting out of where he got sick was perfect. Punk here full time is incredible. AEW is so on fire, with so much exciting happenings going on.  Love to see it. So much to enjoy for us fans.

Tag opener was good stuff with the awesome ending of Kassidy's sell of the tornado DDT and then the Jurassic Express killer double team finish. Sad to see Kiera squashed in 1 minute even though it was inevitable, but I hope she ends up doing more in AEW. Moxley/Garcia was a good short bout. Moxley's entrance another great one. Perfect 1 hour show with the moment of the year. Looking forward to this next chapter

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 10

i love how Mox still feels like a huge deal even after takin a couple L's.   Part of that is the entrance/theme song.  Part of it is no 50/50 booking crap.  Part of it are his promos.  

AEW has some little minor flaws at times but for the most part they just fucking get it.. 

• Like 11

Okay, now especially after seeing all the reactions this whole thing got me.  I don't care how dusty it is in here I'm having a grand ol' time and just feel happy.

But man I could really go for an ice cream bar right about now.

EDIT:  Right, so I don't essentially repeat myself here the rest of the show was good.  A bit of an afterthought but still good.  I like Private Party but I see JE having a worlds better match against Lucha Bros and Young Bucks.  Jade's match was expected and Jon's transition to the finish was killer.  I'm still adoring not just Eddie's pure glee but also Sting smiling.  Wonderful stuff there for sure.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

Post-Rampage media scrum is interesting (blames Renee for making him want to dip his toes back into the wrestling world, Brodie Lee's illness being kept a secret left a strong impression on him, has been talking to Tony Khan for almost 2 years, etc) but here's the highlight for my DVDVR friends

• Haha 6

This is getting massive coverage everywhere. I am truly elated to finally wake up from this bullshit Monopoly nightmare we've been in for 20 years. Perhaps that would ordinarily sound like a bit of an overstatement, but let's be real, there were grown men fucking crying out there

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is getting massive coverage everywhere. I am truly elated to finally wake up from this bullshit Monopoly nightmare we've been in for 20 years. Perhaps that would ordinarily sound like a bit of an overstatement, but let's be real, there were grown men fucking crying out there

Hey, hi, I'm 32 years old and I burst into tears! My shih-tzu thought something bad happened to me.

• Like 4

Punk at the scrum: "If Tony Khan tells me he wants me to go do the G1, we'll talk about it."

These fucking mad lads.

And it's a no brainer but confirms he can still do MMA commentary, movies, all of that stuff. Obviously.

• Like 4

Just now, Casey said:

Punk at the scrum: "If Tony Khan tells me he wants me to go do the G1, we'll talk about it."

These fucking mad lads.

And it's a no brainer but confirms he can still do MMA commentary, movies, all of that stuff. Obviously.

Tony’s not going to offer it to Sheamus instead? Orton? Cody? ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

cool, now they just need to bring in Jessie McKay and I'm set. ?

man.

this feels like when your team finally makes the world series/super bowl after years of drafting in the top 5.

Seconding everyone who, while not necessarily big fans of Punk in and of himself, are excited about this implications of this because the fan enthusiasm is so contagious.

13 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Looking around the internet, it says a lot that so many people were convinced that tonight's announcement was going to be anything less than it was. The last twenty years of mainstream US professional wrestling must have been exceedingly depressing to have anybody convinced that Punk wasn't gonna show or that he wasn't really gonna commit to the part. And it has been. I know there's been breaks in the clouds but I don't really think we realize what the "monopoly years" have done to the psyche of the average wrestling fan. People in their late-twenties and younger grew up knowing nothing BUT a pro-wrestling scene dominated by a single corporate entity and the well-intentioned failures that couldn't break through.

We're out of the woods. I don't know if I even realize the implications of it all. But, oh my God, we're really there.

Yeah, yeah, this.  This is the feeling.

I'm still old enough to sorta remember what the end of 1992 felt like for me when the San Francisco Giants were basically Tampa Bay bound and then in such a short time not only were they saved from leaving but then they signed Barry Bonds too.  Such an amazing whiplash to the positive.

this is the guy who most seemed like the one thing wrestling fans wanted but could not have.  And AEW's got him.

• Like 2