DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

Looking around the internet, it says a lot that so many people were convinced that tonight's announcement was going to be anything less than it was. The last twenty years of mainstream US professional wrestling must have been exceedingly depressing to have anybody convinced that Punk wasn't gonna show or that he wasn't really gonna commit to the part. And it has been. I know there's been breaks in the clouds but I don't really think we realize what the "monopoly years" have done to the psyche of the average wrestling fan. People in their late-twenties and younger grew up knowing nothing BUT a pro-wrestling scene dominated by a single corporate entity and the well-intentioned failures that couldn't break through.

We're out of the woods. I don't know if I even realize the implications of it all. But, oh my God, we're really there.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

All those podcasters lining up to get the first interview.

Please god don't let it be Jericho.

My guess is that it will be Renee since they're friends.

• Like 1

It’s one of the reasons the crowds never shit on the show, because AEW has continuously delivered and created good will with them. I think the only time I ever heard any crowd backlash was the deathmatch explosion fiasco, but even that they all joked about it and moved on.

AEW loves it’s fans and the fans love AEW, what a crazy concept. PWG fans have always been the same too where they go along with everything because they know the company will never fuck them over.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 10

I liked the promo for how much he got done with actually very little. I love the notion that he’s here “to help” and hope he builds on that even as he punishes the young guys.

I’m glad for that crowd and for Punk and for Darby and for Khan and yeah, for you guys too.

• Thanks 3

Remember when Sunday Night Heat first started, like the first 9 months it was a 1 hour version of RAW at the time before Smackdown became a thing. I think that's what AEW is going for here. A 1 hour show that is just as can't miss as Dynamite is. I know this show was a thing that was talked about before the Pandemic but AEW really needed this show now with all these guys.

I think WWE Main Event was a good 1 hour show early on. The concept of the Main going on first was something that they did in the Early days of SNME and those other Main Event specials

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I liked the promo for how much he got done with actually very little. I love the notion that he’s here “to help” and hope he builds on that even as he punishes the young guys.

This is something I was thinking about. Very economical. We're just popping the lid on this. There's still a lot in there to get out.

And he has time. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati