DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Whoops.  

Welcome back Punk.  Hope Craig got his Ice cream.

I'm at the hospital with my wife where they're inducing her. This was scheduled for today last Friday. My joke that I would wind up missing this show wasn't exactly a joke. Nothing has happened yet though and we got here at 7am. I watched on my phone with my earbuds in. 

• Like 21

SO FUCKING GOOD.

Why have I held on to my love of pro wrestling through the years?

For nights like this.

I know y'all feel the same. 

I'm so excited for us all for what's to come! Buckle up, it's gonna be a fun ride!!!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Sooooo Bucks/JE in a cage, Miro/Kingston, Andrade/PAC, Christian/Omega and Punk/Darby? In front of that crowd?

Goodness.

Honestly, with all the other hot stuff going on, I'm feeling miles better about the downer endings of not getting Omega-Page and Jericho losing to MJF. They really just have too much hot stuff going on that the crowd's already going to have a fucking coronary for that more would just get lost in it.

• Like 2

Anyway, I fucking love Chicago. I did one of those silent screams and pumped my first when Punk came out. Rest of the show was a lot of fun. 

Yeah, it sucks I missed it, but I have more important things going on at the moment. 

I'm honestly more upset that they're inducing her 3 weeks early because there was a shit load of stuff I really needed to get done at my house and now that's not going to happen. Hope the baby gets used to sounds of nailers, saws, and air compressors. 

• Like 7

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Expected nothing less. He always wanted to leave this better than he found it. 

I was worried it was just going to be part time or just one match at All Out, just like I was skeptical that this was even happening.

But, now... I'm just going to let it all go and trust them fully now, because they've yet to let me down and delivered in a huge way tonight. Pro wrestling hasn't made me cry in a long, long time - so, cheers to them.

• Like 3

There was so much smoke around this it was either "there's too much for this to actually happen" or "there's too much for this to not actually happen" and I told myself I wasn't gonna believe it until I saw it and....

Man I haven't smiled like that at wrestling in a really long time. I can nitpick it a bit (dude was the longest reigning champ in forever there and had some stellar matches so I don't get the "not pro wrestling" line but the crowd liked it) but to hear him talk about being able to heal away from the place you got sick and see him speak with that fire again. This is one of those things that just feels right. 

Great show overall, a big step up from last week (which I enjoyed) but I felt bad for Private Party and Jurassic Express having to follow THAT. Speaking of, dope counter to the gin and juice and oh right Private Party are damn awesome when they get air time!

• Like 5

I can't believe it's real.  I'm just so glad they had him go out first because no way could the fans contain themselves throughout if he closed the show.

I'm trying to think of what to say but fuck it.  I'm so goddamn happy and this is one of those nights that we'll never, ever forget.

Hold onto your butts, we're in for a wild ride.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

We here at the office went apeshit but we held it together until the cut to crying dude in the audience and then we just fucking wept.

It happened a little earlier for me, when they showed that fan in the front row just losing his mind. "Oh my god, oh my god, he's here" or whatever.

I'm not even like a CM Punk superfan. I mean, I like him okay. But this whole thing is just so cathartic.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was kind of bummed that Cult of Personality was kind of hard to hear on the entrance but given the massive reaction they could have turned the volume to 50 and it might have been hard to hear

Two parts that I really liked:

1.  Everyone figured he would talk about "leaving pro wresting" with the WWE and instead it was about Ring of Honor in 2005 which happened in Chicago.  He got his grievances aired too but nothing strong

2.  Have Darby and Sting save Kingston and Mox was very smart.  While most people know he has no chance against Punk it still made him look like a main eventer.  In Chicago 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Nineteen said:

I can nitpick it a bit (dude was the longest reigning champ in forever there and had some stellar matches so I don't get the "not pro wrestling" line but the crowd liked it) 

That's because WWE itself sez it's not "professional wrestling". It's "Sports Entertainment". SO I think WWE would agree with Punk, you know, if they acknowledged he existed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1