DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

Phew, what a ride, that one hour was just a massive rush the whole way through, I was exhausted in a good way after it.

Might as well just start with what everyone is waiting for and oh man it was amazing. That entrance, the emotion in his face and the goosebumps I had were very real. That POP. He’s not lost a step promo wise and Darby-Punk is going to be money, it has to main event All Out right? This is Hogan-Rock compared to Kenny-Christian. 

I tried to get the Punk shirt right away but all AEW sites and PWT crashed for the whole hour. Still trying with no luck.

Nice tag match, crazy SSP to the outside and great little finishing sequence, Quen nearly lost his head on that last big boot by Luchasaurus. I think JP are bound to get the titles at the PPV.

The show understandably felt a bit rushed after this, the disadvantages of a one hour show, so I expected the women’s match to be short.

Short main event but the intensity made up for it, wish they could have gotten the proper time though. Mox looks like he’s cultivating some serious mass lately, his entrance was amazing with the huge crowd. I’m loving Sting being bros with Kingston, life is good.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Perfect.

Absofuckinglutely PERFECT.

VKM's going "But But, they're supposed to tease it all for 59 minutes and 45 seconds! How do you expect to generate CHATTER if you give people what they want?"

That uber Canadian Destroyer. That got the first FACK! Combination of Ack! and FUCK! 

Man, they don't make new guys pay their dues huh? (another thing VKM probably's frothing at the mouth about.) "You're supposed to break them morally and mentally, not put them in a main event feud with STING!")

• Like 9

I admit it, I thought the Punk hoopla was just another case of the internet working itself up into a fervor about rumors that were going to amount to nothing. Punk looked to be in decent shape so I'm hopeful he's still got it in the ring. He definitely had passion in his promo so I'm excited to see what he says and does next. Ihadn't watched WWE in years until the Summer of Punk piqued my interest once again. Now we'll see if Bryan shows up as well.

The tag match had a few sloppy bits but was a fun spotfest overall.

The women's match was what it needed to be.

Garcia has impressed me so far and Ihad hoped he'd have a longer outing with Moxley, but he did the best he could with the time the show had remaining. I've seen 2.0 floating around the indies ever since they were in Chikara a lot back in the day and while they're both entertaining characters I always found them forgettable once the bell rang. In the few weeks they've been in AEW they've been showing they're worth having around.

• Like 4

I LOVE pro wrestling you guys. I forget that sometimes.

On the same night CM Punk returns, a guy who I saw wrestle in front of 200 people in Greektown was just in the main event in the United Center vs Jon Moxley.

I LOVE pro wrestling

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

You don't get moments like that in wrestling very often. A moment where it all comes together and millions of people around the world get to feel the same, good thing, and it's big and dramatic and important and honest. I feel no need analyze or contextualize or fantasize about events to come, CM Punk stood inside a wrestling ring and said what he had to say. He's back where he belongs and everything is better for it. We're fortunate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Casey said:

E9R9czGUUAAoxis?format=jpg&name=large

Agreed. 

But VKM is still of the mindset that if you have something this hot, you make them suffer through all the other crap first because what are they going to do, change the channel? (Now adays, the answer is "Yes")

AEW sez "You want it? YOU GOT IT! And stick around, cuz you ain't seen NOTHIN YET"

• Like 5