DVDVR Message Board

My ten year old and I wrote a book ...

Lawful Metal

nL9kf79.jpg

My son Darren is really into something called SCP.  I never heard of it before he brought it up to me.  We went on a long walk last summer, and we knocked out a premise, a beginning, middle, and end.  Last November, for National Novel Writing Month, we got to work.  Darren wrote little bios for all the creatures and characters, and more or less sat on my shoulder as I tried to execute his vision.  Finished in March, been editing and editing and we finally received our print proof. 

It's short, but it has a beginning, middle and end, which is a lot more than most of my writing projects.  Plus, how many 10-year olds (I guess he's 11 now) can say they published a book? 

My conversations with Old School John really encouraged me in the beginning, and I wish I could have sent him a copy for his thoughts. 

Here's the synopsis:

"Charlie thought he was interviewing with a party supply company.  Conor thought he was finally going to get promoted.  But neither knew the true nature of the corporation.  After a dastardly attack, their lives and even their reality as they knew it are in danger.  Anomalous and anachronistic creatures, underground laboratories, domestic terrorists, and one strange little cat all weigh in the balance under the roof of Surprises. Celebrations. Parties., LLC.  Can Charlie and Conor Secure, Contain, and Protect?"

EDIT:

Anybody want a digital copy, DM me.

Edited by Lawful Metal
  • Like 4

Thanks!

SCP is based on the SCP Wiki -- https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/

As far as I can tell, it's an open source coterie of assorted creatures and anomalies.  There's a foundation that is charged with Securing, Containing, and Protecting the public from these creatures.  It's an internet thing, and it's all licensed under Creative Commons, so anyone can borrow, steal, or whatever from them.  Our book is about an SCP foundation whose cover is that they're a party supply company. 

I've never looked at the Wiki, I just followed my son's directions and ideas.  It's more fun that way.  I can tell you that we had an absolute blast writing it, and it's even cooler getting to see it in actual book form.

• Thanks 1