DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

Yeah, they taped Elevation with Dynamite and Dark with Rampage.

Looked like a lot of people took the two-show discount and attended both events though.

Going to be strange next week, how one will be in Houston TX and the other in Chicago IL. Those cities aren't exactly near each other... does AEW have two separate set-ups, or are their stage-hands having a hell of a long drive on Thursday?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m interested to know what the NJPW office’s opinion of Jay is right now, considering he seems to be part of the Gaijin Unrest faction. Which should 100% be the name of an actual gaijin faction if this pandemic ever ends and they can bring all the foreigners back.

What's this gaijin unrest stuff about? Are the travel issues rearing their head or is it related to booking stuff?

For all the Canucks, Rampage is now available on demand on the TSN app.

Edit: and it looks like Rampage is on a TSN tv channel next week...and assuming every week moving forward. HUZZAH!

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

What's this gaijin unrest stuff about? Are the travel issues rearing their head or is it related to booking stuff?

Travel issues+ apparently a lot of the gaijins weren't treated well when COVID issues came up.  Jay and Finley were the most upset apparently.

Edited by alstein

I have no idea why Jungle Boy has this phobia about promos.  He sounded like a perfectly fine shit talker to me.   Probably needs to keep things short and simple until he has the confidence to start ad libbing.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have no idea why Jungle Boy has this phobia about promos.  He sounded like a perfectly fine shit talker to me.   Probably needs to keep things short and simple until he has the confidence to start ad libbing.

Hes getting better... Im betting thats a big reason why you see the Jurassic Express buddying up with the IMPACT World Heavyweight Champion Christian Cage.

23 hours ago, eikerir said:

- Disappointed that we had the same stage as Dynamite, was hoping for a different design.

I have the same feeling. But as they've said sometimes Rampage will have to be taped on the same night as Dynamite with the way they are mapping out the touring right now. So there's no logistical way to switch out the set between tapings. I'm sure as steam picks up and they dedicate a live Friday show every week they will switch it up to distinguish. But for now it's best to err on the side of what makes the most sense logistically.

23 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

But if you're aghast at the heartless commodification of the IMPACT Championship, do not come at this if you aren't watching their show on the weekly. They draw one-tenth the viewership of AEW. It's harsh, but they should be so lucky that their belt is being treated as a prop in front of a rabid, sold-out Pittsburgh crowd.

I think this is the most level headed take. Yes if all things were equal an Impact guy should have been put over. But things aren't equal. It takes Impact 11 episodes to hit 1.1 million views vs what Dynamite averages every week now. Impact is lucky to be shown as an equal on such a big state. At this point, despite having a very talented roster, they are basically just an indy with a really good video library. They don't try adn draw more than 300. Only about 100k people watch them a week. So them getting Christian back to possibly do the putting over of an Impact guy is still a major win fall for them.

22 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I still see Christian not being the opponent at All Out. It probably won't be Hangman, and it certainly shouldn't be Punk or Danielson this soon, so I'm not sure who he will face. 

I was on team no way in hell they run Christian vs Omega too. But after Rampage I'm all in on them still running it. They theoretically could take Christian out on Dynamite this week. But I think the story beats of having Christian heat up the fued proving he can pin Omega makes it a virtual lock to have a rematch at All Out. Last night's match was phenomenal even with them not getting it out of 3rd gear. So I'm all for it. And the same crowd that booed the match announcement went fucking bananas for that title change. Talk about some damn good fucking professional wrestlers.

14 hours ago, killsteve said:

4 man booth is two men too much.

100%... way too many. It did get better once Henry left after the title match. That'd not a knock on him. Just too many people talking over each other. I wish Jericho would dial back his announcer voice just a notch or two. He makes some really good points and interjects some really good psychology. But if he was a bit more reserved I think it would benefit the show.

This crowd was fucking on fire. Even better than Wednesday. This hit my sweet spot. Just about the perfect one hour wrestling show. Killer opener with a big title change. A great squash that lead into a genuinely good feel good moment. And while I think Britt & Velvet was a bit off, they really had the crowd invested and felt bigger than most AEW's women's matches. Can not fucking wait for Cult of Personality to hit next week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

Dasha. She hasn't been up to much the past year after doing YouTube hype videos with Schiavone in year one of Dynamite. 

She does backstage pretapes and Spanish commentary still, does she not? And I'm almost positive she was the ring announcer for some of the Jacksonville pandemic era shows last year, at least for the YouTube shows - if not one or two Dynamite episodes. Plus she did wrestle in that women's tag tournament.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully guys like Kingston and Arn are giving him plenty of tips.

9 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Probably my favourite Omega singles match in AEW. Sleazy bump freak CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Might be mine as well. Only others: vs. PAC on Dynamite, 26th February 2020 and vs. Fenix on Dynamite, 6th January 2021.

• Like 1

BC173804-0-CBC-453-A-BE2-C-D469-A10-CE51

Tbf, Jericho was miles better during the main event when he actually calmed down and offered good match analysis.I think the first half hour he gets too much into HYPE mode and it takes him a while to snap out of it.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, eikerir said:

BC173804-0-CBC-453-A-BE2-C-D469-A10-CE51

Tbf, Jericho was miles better during the main event when he actually calmed down and offered good match analysis.I think the first half hour he gets too much into HYPE mode and it takes him a while to snap out of it.

Retroactively that makes me a bit more forgiving of Jericho.  I get that he wants to hype up the brand new show they are selling.  Just play a few more notes is all and it smooths it out. For me at least.

Absolutely.  Jericho was such a natural the first time out that it’s sometimes easy to forget that he’s very new to the position.  I think he’s going to be a terrific commentator.  And I’m especially excited if it means he stops wrestling.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And I’m especially excited if it means he stops wrestling.  

I'm in the minority I think, but I think he's still pretty good in the ring until he gets over-ambitious (I clench my butthole and think about Hayabusa on pretty much every Lionsault, though they're getting rarer) but big kudos to him for taking crazy cage bumps and working deathmatches when he really doesn't have to. I mentioned it earlier but Fozzy's on the road from September to February so we may not see him for a bit anyway.

• Like 1

Jericho needs to talk way more naturally and not force awkward phrasing nobody ever uses. He ripped on Excalibur for tripping over himself in the past but dude is stumbling into all sorts of dumb sayings and reminds me of Austin Powers getting stuck in the hallway driving the cart. This was happening even in the main event when he "calmed down". 

Notice how good Excalibur was when he was the unquestionable conductor/pbp guy? He also did a good job of setting up all three of his colour commentators. I'll leave it at that. ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Jericho needs to talk way more naturally and not force awkward phrasing nobody ever uses. He ripped on Excalibur for tripping over himself in the past but dude is stumbling into all sorts of dumb sayings and reminds me of Austin Powers getting stuck in the hallway driving the cart. This was happening even in the main event when he "calmed down". 

Notice how good Excalibur was when he was the unquestionable conductor/pbp guy? He also did a good job of setting up all three of his colour commentators. I'll leave it at that. ?

I sure didn’t. And I’m not not sure how anyone could offer praise for the train wreck that the commentary was in the first match.

Hopefully, they’re much better next week, so they don’t diminish CM Punk’s return like they did the opening match.

Anyway, Christian beating Omega makes even less to me now. It now seems like it was just a spur of the moment decision to generate interest in a new show and to build to a rushed ppv match they haven’t built towards. The build towards All Out is starting to very WWEish and I don’t like it.

• Haha 2

Jericho’s incessant howls & screams & WHOOPS on commentary makes him and everything associated with what he’s presenting sound like a simpleton. Needs to turn it down several notches.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

She does backstage pretapes and Spanish commentary still, does she not? And I'm almost positive she was the ring announcer for some of the Jacksonville pandemic era shows last year, at least for the YouTube shows - if not one or two Dynamite episodes. Plus she did wrestle in that women's tag tournament.

She wrestled for Mission Pro at the Jacksonville Taco Festival a few weeks ago.  She looked good. Against Masha Slamovich.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I sure didn’t. And I’m not not sure how anyone could offer praise for the train wreck that the commentary was in the first match.

Hopefully, they’re much better next week, so they don’t diminish CM Punk’s return like they did the opening match.

Is Jericho going to be on commentary for the PPV? Hopefully they turn his mic off when Punk appears.

As far as the last-minute rushed feeling, assuming that Impact never planned to have Brian Myers vs Omega, they taped Myers becoming #1 contender back on July 19, so I would guess this has been the plan for a little while.

In regards to Jericho going on tour, Fozzy's on tour from September 2 through October 8, but there are zero Wednesday dates so he will still be available. No dates in November, so it would only seem to affect two weeks in December when Fozzy tours the UK and a week in February that they are in Australia. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Is Jericho going to be on commentary for the PPV? Hopefully they turn his mic off when Punk appears.

I don’t think so, and unless Tony Khan wants the United Center burned down and to never be able to run a show in Chicago again, Punk is appearing on Friday.