DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

I’m interested to know what the NJPW office’s opinion of Jay is right now, considering he seems to be part of the Gaijin Unrest faction. Which should 100% be the name of an actual gaijin faction if this pandemic ever ends and they can bring all the foreigners back.

I will say this, even though I was vocal about Christian not being the one to dethrone Kenny - I can admit when I was wrong. The title change, the match were all fantastic. If the crowd is still equally as hot for a Hangman kick out of a OWA and a win, I'm all for it. Seriously, that was a great match and honestly, I'm happy Christian got to have that type of a moment.

Fuego and his contract was awesome. That's great TV right there.

Man, AEW has so many people that are over. We only saw, what, seven wrestlers last night including Sammy? And the show still felt top of the line.

• Like 8

Super fun show.  Great bouts.  Great crowd.  I echo the positive sentiments towards Mark Henry's broadcasting debut.  The kneejerk is to hate on a '4' man booth, but it was fine for night 1.  And much better than we're used to.  Kenny-Christian was never gonna be anything less than beautiful.  Miro rules and Feugo did very well.  Hope that Sammy rumour of a match at All Out with Miro is true, but who loses?  Sammy kinda needs a big win, but Miro's still riding the rocket.  And should for a long time to come.  BBDMD and Velvet looked good.  Exceeded my expectations.  Velvet has come a long way in a short time.  La la love seeing Jamie Hayter back in AEW.  Also, in the camp digging Britt's commitment to be a mean girl.    

p.s. Rampage logo and branding could use some improvements.  Set design being the same has to be expected considering their future taping skedge, but I hope they find some small ways to differentiate.    

• Like 2

Also, who was the ring announcer last night? I believe that's the first show (to my knowledge, there may have been one during the pandemic) without Justin Roberts as the ringside announcer.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Kenny vs Christian. I've never been as high on Kenny as some have been, but that was just a really engaging way to watch wrestling at 9 PM on a Friday night.

I have nothing to base this on, but it's a guess and what's been reported in the past before he got cleared for his WWE return. I could see Bryan Danielson first making an appearance in AAA tomorrow night before making an appearance in AEW to face off with Andrade after he beats Kenny tomorrow night.

Wasn't there a rumor that Kenny is working through a shoulder injury? I wonder if the belt collector thing gets ended abruptly so he can take some time to get surgery. 

Man,  I gotta remember to tape this.  There are like ten commercials I can't fast forward through on the TNT app  (I said APP!  I'm YOUNG!).  Man, Kenny Omega is so awesome.  It reminds me of Ricky Steamboat coming in and beating Flair.  The two best wrestlers in AEW are Canadian.  Who knew?

• Like 9

First live show I've been to since 2008 or so.  Generally enjoyed it.  Crowd was white hot.

Mixed feelings about the Omega match.  Crowd was into it and the match was fine.  Still don't like the booking.  I guess outside events influenced the outcome, but, still, it seems underwhelming for Omega's first fall in however long to be Christian.  I don't even dislike Christian.  Would just have preferred to see a "homegrown" guy get that rub (Jungle Boy, Page, Darby. etc.) or at least Moxley.  Really, what I would have preferred is to see an Impact guy or two get built up and take the title off Kenny, though i don't know that Impact has anyone I buy being on Kenny's level.  I never thought Kenny should be dropping a fall to Swann.  Maybe Moose?

Dug the finale.  Britt doesn't do much for me as a face and i thought it was a great swerve to turn back heel in her hometown.  First time seeing Red Velvet.  Don't really have an opinion on her.

Killswitch on the chair looked awful for Kenny.  Why do guys agree to these spots again?  Meltzer makes it sound like Kenny's holding himself together with duct tape at t his point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eoae said:

First live show I've been to since 2008 or so.  Generally enjoyed it.  Crowd was white hot.

Mixed feelings about the Omega match.  Crowd was into it and the match was fine.  Still don't like the booking.  I guess outside events influenced the outcome, but, still, it seems underwhelming for Omega's first fall in however long to be Christian.  I don't even dislike Christian.  Would just have preferred to see a "homegrown" guy get that rub (Jungle Boy, Page, Darby. etc.) or at least Moxley.  Really, what I would have preferred is to see an Impact guy or two get built up and take the title off Kenny, though i don't know that Impact has anyone I buy being on Kenny's level.  I never thought Kenny should be dropping a fall to Swann.  Maybe Moose?

Dug the finale.  Britt doesn't do much for me as a face and i thought it was a great swerve to turn back heel in her hometown.  First time seeing Red Velvet.  Don't really have an opinion on her.

Killswitch on the chair looked awful for Kenny.  Why do guys agree to these spots again?  Meltzer makes it sound like Kenny's holding himself together with duct tape at t his point.

The booking was grand though. Kenny values the AEW title most, he lost because The Young Bucks threw in a chair and he underestimated Christian, assuming he wouldn’t use the chair. And as it’s not a clean win, Hangman still gets his moment when he kicks out of the OWA and beats Omega clean as a whistle with the Buckshot.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
35 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Also, who was the ring announcer last night? I believe that's the first show (to my knowledge, there may have been one during the pandemic) without Justin Roberts as the ringside announcer.

Pretty sure it was Dasha Gonzalez.

49 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Dasha. She hasn't been up to much the past year after doing YouTube hype videos with Schiavone in year one of Dynamite. 

One of Christian's best straight singles matches I've seen (though I haven't seen enough of his tna run to say definitively). Electric atmosphere and the match delivered the perfect 15 minute tv showing that gave us hints of what's to come at the ppv. I'll stfu about Christian getting a title shot at All Out after that. I'm excited to see how they build off the groundwork they just laid. Two of the smarter workers going so we should see more than just a play off the finish but other things from last night's match too. 

Miro is untouchable right now. Perfect for what it was and as a foil to the epic tv match before it. Sign me up for Sammy vs. Miro. Aew loves an interrupted major announcement so Miro popping up next week makes sense. 

I was in and out getting prepped for the evening during the main event so I didn't see the bad chain wrestling you guys mentioned but the ending of the match was satisfying enough with the switch to the off hand. People clamor for more women's wrestling, and while it is often a noticeable downgrade from the high end men on the roster, only way for them to get truly better is to work in front of people. Hopefully Rampage is where they get more opportunities, as Omega alluded to recently. Jamie Hayter looks like a different person compared to pre covid going off her twitter these past months. I lol'd at the JR joke, Eva.  Cannot wait. 

As suggested earlier, impact would love to have had Kenny vs. White 2 but they have absolutely fuck all leverage and neither of the other two would have interest in their guy dropping a fall in that scenario. You can bitch about Omega HBKing this but it really does feel like a late audible on top of an audible. Maybe AEW hasn't mentioned Andrade vs. Omega because it's not available to watch stateside or maybe because the finish to the match was changed recently, throwing their already changing plans of Hangman vs. Kenny to Christian vs. Kenny into more turmoil where Omega is gonna lose his first match in 2 years. Instead of it being on an outside show nobody watches to a guy who is obviously very good but not remotely over like Alexander or waiting for tomorrow and the first loss being to a guy you are still (too slowly) heating up in Andrade, they got as much out of the situation as possible for now by putting over Christian before the ppv match nobody thought he'd win and created a really special moment for your debuting tv show. Having Omega lose to Alexander would've been more palatable after Hangman got his win, not before. Not perfect but for how careful this company is with its big picture booking, this all feels rushed due to outside politics. Could be wrong but that is my guess and I thought it worked out well. AEW generally likes to leak these kind of tidbits after the fact, so we will see. Omega was criticized for putting over too many people in the first year of the company's run. He and the tag champs just shined up a 20 year old unknown. Huge problem. I like the idea of this making Kenny more desperate to hold onto the AEW title. Would love to see him successfully defend against Bryan at the Arthur Ashe show before dropping it at Full Gear to Page. 

Oh yeah this was the perfect 1 hour tv formula. Hopefully they don't stray too far from it though it's not every week you can have something as big as that opener. A Miro squash between two competitive matches and some brief angles moving things along. Excellent stuff. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

The booking was grand though. Kenny values the AEW title most, he lost because The Young Bucks threw in a chair and he underestimated Christian, assuming he wouldn’t use the chair. And as it’s not a clean win, Hangman still gets his moment when he kicks out of the OWA and beats Omega clean as a whistle with the Buckshot.

The co-creator of the Conchairto wouldn't use a chair? 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I’m interested to know what the NJPW office’s opinion of Jay is right now, considering he seems to be part of the Gaijin Unrest faction. Which should 100% be the name of an actual gaijin faction if this pandemic ever ends and they can bring all the foreigners back.

Jay has the leverage, when he can AEW and WWE would offer him all the money in the world.  He is the closest thing wrestling has to a Mike Trout.

I mean, I'd build around Jay White before I'd build around Hangman, and Hangman's like the #2 guy in the world I'd build around.

I think the 3 match format, with one longer women's match (Deeb/Tay/Shida showcases) would be great for Rampage going forward.

Edited by alstein

12 minutes ago, alstein said:

Jay has the leverage, when he can AEW and WWE would offer him all the money in the world.  He is the closest thing wrestling has to a Mike Trout.

I mean, I'd build around Jay White before I'd build around Hangman, and Hangman's like the #2 guy in the world I'd build around.

I think the 3 match format, with one longer women's match (Deeb/Tay/Shida showcases) would be great for Rampage going forward.

I love Jay and he is awesome but supposedly he’s under contract to new japan for years to come.