DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Daniel Garcia wasn't at this taping, because he's working a match for West Coast Pro (on IWTV) head to head with it.

Against Jacob Fatu. Judging by twitter gifs, it seems pretty good.

I had a ticket but chose not to go because of delta. 

This show felt very… rushed. 

Edit: the crowd was the mvp of the show though. What a hot crowd. 

Edited by matt925

Kenny's bump on that Killswitch was nasty. That was a good way to have Kenny drop a fall while still leaving some rub for the next person who beats him clean. Great work by both guys who are in a tenuous situation booking-wise, but got all the right reactions here.

I kind of like that Britt hasn't changed too much of her character. Heels switching to full on babyface mannerisms and ethics when they turn (especially organically like Britt) is a wrestling trope that usually makes no sense. If the crowd's cheering the heel act, go for it.

The announce team was interesting, but it would be better if they rotated everyone besides Excalibur.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think Christian's history and good will with the long-term IMPACT fan base takes some of the edge off all this. 

There are things to complain about here. If this takes audible heat off of Adam Page the next time he shows up, have at it. But if you're aghast at the heartless commodification of the IMPACT Championship, do not come at this if you aren't watching their show on the weekly. They draw one-tenth the viewership of AEW. It's harsh, but they should be so lucky that their belt is being treated as a prop in front of a rabid, sold-out Pittsburgh crowd.

I'm aghast at nothing. Amused, certainly. Kenny protects himself as selfishly as some of the most notorious would, and that should be a point of amusement for many. 

Impact made its bed and it benefitted to the tune of decent PPV business considering the state of it. But there's also amusement to be had from the short end of the stick they got in other regards. I refuse to not indulge in that fun. 

All things being equal, I'd rather have Christian having matches with anyone, so this is a total win for me.

Adam Page will be completely unaffected by all of this, so don't worry about it. Wash your hands of all smark conventional wisdom that might lead you to believe otherwise in this regard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

The Kenny and Christian match was really good but I can’t help but think Impact left money on the table not running Kenny vs White at BFG for the belt.

This is most likely true, but wouldn't Christian vs White for the title still help to recoup some of that potential money? This may have been a take it or leave it kind of a situation for them, too. But yeah, I'm guessing Kenny vs White was a big NJPW dream match that they never had the chance to deliver on a big stage (if at all?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

This is most likely true, but wouldn't Christian vs White for the title still help to recoup some of that potential money? This may have been a take it or leave it kind of a situation for them, too. But yeah, I'm guessing Kenny vs White was a big NJPW dream match that they never had the chance to deliver on a big stage (if at all?)

If Christian as champ is your take it or leave it option, you’re not making out too badly.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

They had an IWGP US title match about 3.5 years ago, which did — or at least tried to do — some interesting things with Omega’s arrogance and White’s lack of big-match experience. (It’s basically his Rainmaker Shock.) But the match structure would be different — and ultimately more satisfying for a longer main event — now, and it wouldn’t be overshadowed by other angles to the same extent, were it to happen.

Edited by Beech27
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

They had an IWGP US title match about 3.5 years ago, which did — or at least tried to do — some interesting things with Omega’s arrogance and White’s lack of big-match experience. (It’s basically his Rainmaker Shock.) But the match structure would be different — and ultimately more satisfying for a longer main event — now, and it wouldn’t be overshadowed by other angles to the same extent, were it to happen.

Yeah, I figured they may have had a match before, but it must have been before Jay White became the big star in NJPW.

4 man booth is two men too much.

Really enjoyed Christian vs Omega, probably the best Omega match since against Fenix. He is really, really obvious when he's just killing time for ad breaks, but he's also a tremendous bumper and made all of Christian's stuff look great. Really good use of the protected moves for big nearfalls and I thought Christian winning was a great move. The belt collector stuff has been forced from the start, this certainly adds more juice to the ALL OUT match and it's cool for Impact to have Christian come back with the belt.

I like Britt, she has put in a lot of work to improve, but that match with Velvet was pretty fugly. The early chain wrestling stuff and finisher teasing looked so amateur hour after Christian and Omega did the same stuff. Cool finish at least. Post-match was a typical laughably bad AEW debut complete with no one knowing who Jamie Hayter was.

• Like 3

As a lame old dude, I'm all about one hour of great wrestling television that late on a Friday. Give us 2-3 big-stakes matches, or even reserve the entire hour for something too big for Dynamite. Keep Rampage as appointment watching, please. 

They're advertising next week as the most anticipated TV show of the year. The crowd last night was on fire but Chicago is going to be a goddamn supernova. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 7

I really enjoyed the Omega / Christian match.  Good booking to show a chink in the armor just before the match for the AEW title.  That Killswitch onto the chair was fucking nasty, but I am not shocked that Kenny took that bump as he is willing to do almost anything to sell a match.  It would be kinda awesome if Don started kissing Christian's ass and offering him his managerial services now that Christian is the new Impact champion.

So happy for Fuego.  I thought he had a chance for a sec.

I totally agree with Go2Sleep.  I was happy to see Britt pull off some heel shenanigans in spite of the baby face reactions she got from the crowd.  I question the booking of having Red try to finish Britt with her own finish in front of a sympathetic crowd like that.  It just earned Red more boos.  I like that brainbuster to the knee set up for the curbstomp.  It feels like the Rock Bottom -> People's Elbow where the insult to injury finish works as a finish because of the violence of the previous move

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Let Page kick out of the OWA and nobody should care about the winning streak. There's enough there to spread around, and much greater emphasis has been placed on the OWA.

That's going to be an historic moment. Only Kota Ibushi has ever kicked out of it. Even legends in Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi weren't permitted to. I thought Okada would. Such a protected finisher and rightly so. Only finish more protected is Kenta Kobashi's Burning Hammer which was rarely used, six times when nothing else kept an opponent down.

41 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I guess one of the things we learned from tonight is that Pittsburgh wasn't as bad a wrestling town as people (even me) thought.   Very electric crowd  for almost everything 

Pittsburgh has always been a great wrestling town. As much as I love Cleveland, there was always so much more going on in the Pittsburgh wrestling scene. It was always worth the trip, whether I was announcing or I was attending SummerSlam 95 and King of the Ring 98. 

Saw someone suggest that offering a contract to Fuego del Sol anyway, immediately after he lost a match that would have earned him a contract, is going to lead to Sammy Guevara vs. Miro at All Out.  I like that idea.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Saw someone suggest that offering a contract to Fuego del Sol anyway, immediately after he lost a match that would have earned him a contract, is going to lead to Sammy Guevara vs. Miro at All Out.  I like that idea.

Which would be a banging match. 

• Like 1

Christian/Kenny was really good.  Booking of all this seems confused/rushed/made up right now, which is unusual for AEW.  Guessing a lot of moving parts have changed things on short notice.

The Fuego moment was heartwarming.  

Britt/Velvet was there.  Don't like either one of them that much (they're good, but I got a half-dozen women in AEW I like more than either of them) so it didn't do much for me.

I really want Jay vs Kenny II, but I suspect NJPW/AEW politics would come into play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alstein said:

I really want Jay vs Kenny II, but I suspect NJPW/AEW politics would come into play. 

I'm looking forward to that rematch too! I'm kind of hoping Impact/NJPW/AEW can expand the Elite vs BC feud so it can occur across those promotions. Each of those promotions can get a big match like Impact get Kenny vs Jay, AEW gets Kenny/Bucks vs Jay/GOD and then a blowoff in NJPW where the losing faction has to disband 5v5 elimination style match.