DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I hope the show has a distinct look from Dynamite (I saw where Cody said they may be bringing back the logo on the mat, maybe they figured out a way to make it less slick). I'd be kinda bummed if it's just the Dynamite set with different graphics.

Think it was SRS who said they would be holding off on a new set until they know they won't be stuck Daily's Place again in the near future. So we'll sadly have to wait for that unless they've changed their minds. Must be Cody tunnel complaint whatever it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Somehow I didn't realize the Christian match was for the TNA title, not the AEW.  Yeah, I can see them switching that belt to give the show an "important things are going to happen" feel.

On the other hand, switching the secondary title seems like such an obvious thing to do that I feel like they'll probably swerve us and not do a title change. 

Ah, but what if they want us to thing that they're swerving, so they do go through with the title change?

Ah ha!  But, that's just what they'd want us to think, isn't it. So, they will NOT do the title switch tonight because we're thinking they won't swerve the switch, so in reality, the swerve will be swerved by NOT SWERVING US!

M7ojDDqt5cvCv1gdmVe2wkEmoJ2TXnpN9IpnX0bk

Edited by Log
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I remember the ending of omega/Okada 4, the camera is in perfect position to capture that last v trigger as Kenny is flying right at the viewer like jaws 3D. Looked like Kenny decapitated the guy. But then I watched the gif a bunch of times, and you can see how the instant Kenny’s knee touches Okada, all of his momentum moves to the side and away from Okada’s head. It probably didn’t feel like a kiss but when you watch live it looked like he killed the guy, and he most certainly didn’t. 

I fucking love the finishing sequence to Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega IV. Omega catches Okada with a flash One Winged Angel, both are on the bottom rope spent. Omega hits the V Trigger you described followed by the One Winged Angel to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, Krone Meltzer said:

To be fair, I think Omega vs. Christian will be a fine match, but it's not a match I want to see twice. I hope to hell they find a new challenger for All Out - or they're really banking on a Punk in ring return selling the whole show.

Yeah, I think Omega Christian is an interesting match but more in a tv sense. And I really don’t think seeing Christian win the impact title is going to make me want to drop 60 dollars or whatever is now on a ppv.

And at least for me personally, CM Punk’s promos and character work have always been more interesting than his in ring work. Maybe I’m in the minority there but if not banking on him selling the ppvs seems like it might not be the best strategy to sell ppvs.

I also don’t like Omega losing before Hangman takes the title off of him, as I think that will diminish that win a little bit. As it’s not beating Kenny at the peak of his belt collector powers. And the audience will have already seen him lose a title.

18 minutes ago, Log said:

Ah, but what if they want us to thing that they're swerving, so they do go through with the title change?

Ah ha!  But, that's just what they'd want us to think, isn't it. So, they will NOT do the title switch tonight because we're thinking they won't swerve the switch, so in reality, the swerve will be swerved by NOT SWERVING US!

Lol, I ran through the same spiel in my head. 

It's hard being a carnie.

39 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Think it was SRS who said they would be holding off on a new set until they know they won't be stuck Daily's Place again in the near future. So we'll sadly have to wait for that unless they've changed their minds. Must be Cody tunnel complaint whatever it is. 

Bummer, but totally makes sense. Im starting to think everything's gonna shut down once schools start in earnest

30 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I also don’t like Omega losing before Hangman takes the title off of him, as I think that will diminish that win a little bit. As it’s not beating Kenny at the peak of his belt collector powers. And the audience will have already seen him lose a title.

Disagree. An ascendant Hangman being the final nail in the coffin for a desperate Omega losing his grip on power has the potential to be equally satisfying. Hangman being the first to ding Kenny has never been a necessity. I've seen a lot of talk like this flying around, and I don't understand people marrying themselves to the idea that Page needs to be first to the trough. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Disagree. An ascendant Hangman being the final nail in the coffin for a desperate Omega losing his grip on power has the potential to be equally satisfying. Hangman being the first to ding Kenny has never been a necessity. I've seen a lot of talk like this flying around, and I don't understand people marrying themselves to the idea that Page needs to be first to the trough. 

Different personal preferences, I guess. Beating someone at the end of their downward spiral just seems less impressive than sending them on that downward spiral to me.

And in sports, when a team goes on an insanely long win streak, it’s the team that ends the streak that leads to a big story and lots of interest, nobody really cares about the next team that beats them after that.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I hope the show has a distinct look from Dynamite (I saw where Cody said they may be bringing back the logo on the mat, maybe they figured out a way to make it less slick). I'd be kinda bummed if it's just the Dynamite set with different graphics.

I second this, but I'm also not that hopeful - because aren't there weeks where they will be taping Rampage after Dynamite? I could see them changing the mat, but I'm worried the set is going to be exactly the same as Dynamite. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm like half with you, half not. I honestly don't know my opinion. The comparison made a lot is Hogan/Sting but I don't think Luger having it for a week in August did any harm. On the other hand, as you alluded to, I think people have that opinion because they want to make sure it's as satisfying as it can hunably possibly be

• Like 1

The central dramatic question that people are invested in isn’t “Can somebody beat Kenny?” The question people care about is “Can Hangman finally beat Kenny for the belt?” And that question remains in play, regardless of if Kenny loses to Christian or Andrade beforehand.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy that AEW has established characters and storylines compelling enough for us to go through all this discussion before the show has even aired. Good job. 

Edit: if Kenny's losing tonight and/or tomorrow, he could also lose with excuses leading to Hangmin being the first to beat him decisively. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Also, you can have Hangman somehow cost him those other belts to "get in his head" or something, and then once he beats Omega for the AEW title, he'll have caused him to lose all of his precious belts.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I enjoy that AEW has established characters and storylines compelling enough for us to go through all this discussion before the show has even aired. Good job. 

Edit: if Kenny's losing tonight and/or tomorrow, he could also lose with excuses leading to Hangmin being the first to beat him decisively. 

I can get down with this idea where Omega loses both the AAA and Impact titles via shenanigans and then works himself into a shoot (brother) demanding a “clean” match with Page for the AEW, which he loses clean in the middle due to lack of Elite interference.

• Like 4

I will hold very firm that I think Hangman beating Omega first is the right way to go.

Imagine if Jon Snow got to kill the Night King again after Arya already did it lol (another instance where the obvious should've happened, but we gotta get all cute and overthink it) And yeah, OWA is a protected finisher (as are most in AEW to be fair) and has only been kicked out of by Kota, but why not just do both then? My god, 730 days you've been building to this moment. THE MOMENT... of, Christian Cage?

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I plan on watching Rampage tonight after my daughter goes to bed, which is funny because I'm taking her to the Rampage in Chicago next week unless they decide to induce my wife.

They're totally going to induce her 3 weeks early. I don't think it's in the stars for me to attend a live AEW show.

You've already got a kid. How many chances do you get to see CM Punk make a comeback?

Kidding by the way, just to be clear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3