DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

That "Kenny and I are gonna get to know each other very well" right off the top tells me that if their All Out match happens, which I'm very sure that it will, then their Rampage match is going to be must-see. Learned psychology and all that.

• Like 6

The Abyss feud is really fun. The title win off of Jarrett is damn good. The Lethal Lockdown 2007 match isn't really Christian focused iirc, but I love it to bits. Haven't seen too much of his run yet but I think the Joe matches are highly praised (shocking). 

Edit: The JJ match is from Against All Odds 2006.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

The Christian TNA matches are all good but need to be watched with some context in my opinion. He’s well established now as one of the best 15 minute TV match guys in the past 20 years, but that template didn’t really exist until this TNA run and his return to WWE, the big ECW run and later years. He wasn’t that guy for the vast majority of his first big WWE run (there are exceptions). So the TNA Christian matches will feel like “Christian matches”, but that was all before this was a well known thing. YMMV.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The Christian TNA matches are all good but need to be watched with some context in my opinion. He’s well established now as one of the best 15 minute TV match guys in the past 20 years, but that template didn’t really exist until this TNA run and his return to WWE, the big ECW run and later years. He wasn’t that guy for the vast majority of his first big WWE run (there are exceptions). So the TNA Christian matches will feel like “Christian matches”, but that was all before this was a well known thing. YMMV.

This is very true. It's easy to forget between the TLC days and the WWECW days, Christian had a long journey to become "not the most generic midcarder ever" which he definitely was from 2003 to his first time leaving WWE. Other than maybe AJ Styles, I can't think of anyone TNA helped more than Christian.

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Smart of them to frame it so the shot didn't include D'Amore holding him at gunpoint. 

That got a big pop from me brother brother brother.

Yeah.  That Christian vs Abyss cage match from (IIRC) the first episode on SPIKE impressed me.

I think someone has been talking to JR because in that Hardy clustermess the ref started counting a pinfall on the not-legal man and JR didn't hammer him. He should have. That was bush.

Omega asking the crowd if they were saying "Noo nooo nooo" to the tune of Jungle Boy's them was probably the first time I laughed at something he said.

Tonight had a lot of guys/gals standing around waiting to get hit. Like the Bucks stupid basketball promo with Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus, after they blocked the shot than scored the one Buck just stood there and watched them leave. 

I could have sworn that Jericho had to complete the five labours THAN got MJF. Was MJF always supposed to be the final labour? Because the most lackluster way they could have scheduled it. Gage should have been the last one. Because Wardlow so rarely wins top matches it was a foregone conclusion that Jericho would beat him.

5 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Yeah.  That Christian vs Abyss cage match from (IIRC) the first episode on SPIKE impressed me.

Impact started on Spike in early October 2005, when Christian was still in WWE. The match you're thinking of took place at the '06 Lockdown event.

I know, it's been a while. But yeah, I also enjoyed the Abyss stuff a lot. 

The house invasion was excellent. I think Abyss is so sympathetic in his selling and takes such crazy bumps that in a post-Foley HIAC world he's actually a way better babyface than heel, Sinz Minz with the suits could do enough to make Abyss a compelling heel. 

Think I've seen the king of the mountain match with Christian, or one of them anyway, and it was very good. I enjoy TNA's ability to come up with wacky gimmick matches and a penalty box in wrestling absolutely makes sense but the structure of those matches was always a li'l off imo. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Think I've seen the king of the mountain match with Christian, or one of them anyway, and it was very good. I enjoy TNA's ability to come up with wacky gimmick matches and a penalty box in wrestling absolutely makes sense but the structure of those matches was always a li'l off imo. 

Christian did KotM all three of his years in the company. I suspect that for some people's taste it'd be hard to top that '07 line-up of Christian, Angle, AJ, Joe, and Chris Harris.

And let's not forget Christian took part in an all-time great episode of Impact:

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

Dante Martin shining in the six man was awesome, felt like the start of his star being on the rise. Great stuff, as was Darby/Garcia. Nyla/Statlander was surprisingly short. Glad Paul Wight is finally getting involved on Dynamite, and a nice touch on the theme music. Jericho/Wardlow pretty good but the MJF match stips kind of a let down not feeling as special. Guessing somehow it leads to another match at All Out.  Looking forward to next week with Sting in action as well. I love how there is so much going on and everything's on fire. Dynamite tonight, Rampage premiere loaded, Dynamite next week with big matches and then the First Dance, with All Out coming soon.

Hyped for Christian/Omega and I'm glad they came back around to that after the initial tease from Christian's debut.  I like how what seemed predictable has become so open with lots of possible avenues to go now. I like the idea mentioned earlier of Omega retaining tonight, rematch in a steel cage at the PPV, and then ending the show with something like Bryan debuting to save Christian from the Elite beatdown, but I also like the idea of Christian winning tonight because Christian being back in Impact for however long it could be, would be absolutely excellent... his initial TNA run being one of my all time favorites. 

23 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I've never seen Christian's TNA stuff, what are some matches to check out?

I think most of them have been mentioned already... the Samoa Joe Destination X 07 being probably my favorite. Loved that match. And the whole story pretty great at BFG with Joe eventually being the first guy to defeat Christian by pin or submission after almost two years never being beaten like that. 

I'll throw a mention to the 2006 Rhino feud has being quite good. They had a regular match at No Surrender, the 8 Mile Street Fight at BFG, and then a barbed wire cage match on a special Impact. Later teaming up again 2 years later. Christian had very good runs there as face and heel. vs Kurt Angle at Against All Odds 07 was another good one.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
16 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I think most of them have been mentioned already... the Samoa Joe Destination X 07 being probably my favorite. Loved that match. And the whole story pretty great at BFG with Joe eventually being the first guy to defeat Christian by pin or submission after almost two years never being beaten like that. 

I'll throw a mention to the 2006 Rhino feud has being quite good. They had a regular match at No Surrender, the 8 Mile Street Fight at BFG, and then a barbed wire cage match on a special Impact. Later teaming up again 2 years later. Christian had very good runs there as face and heel. vs Kurt Angle at Against All Odds 07 was another good one.

v Joe Destination X 07 has been my favourite, followed by the Jarrett title switch. Will check the Rhino feud.

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I remember reading very good things about the Rhino feud at the time. I'm guessing, especially the street fight? Am I imagining that there was a strap/chain match between them, or was that just something they used during the street fight?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I remember reading very good things about the Rhino feud at the time. I'm guessing, especially the street fight? Am I imagining that there was a strap/chain match between them, or was that just something they used during the street fight?

Rhino had a chain match with AJ Styles in early 07, might be thinking of that. That was his next feud after Christian and also excellent, lasting 4-5 months. I loved their "Elevation X" scaffold match.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Rhino had a chain match with AJ Styles in early 07, might be thinking of that. That was his next feud after Christian and also excellent, lasting 4-5 months. I loved their "Elevation X" scaffold match.

I guess that was it, with AJ! But I wasn't dreaming Rhino with a chain, then? I guess that would be more like a nightmare, though? Sure was for AJ!

• Like 1