DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

JR was recently edging into weirdo eugenics brother from Get Out territory when he opined that Ethan Page's "frame" could easily support 20 more pounds of muscle.  My dude talks about wrestlers like he's Monsieur Candy.

I disagree. He talks about wrestlers like a sports announcer. MMA commentators talk about body changes in relation to fighting. NFL commentators talk about body changes in relation to football. JR is just doing a natural extension of calling a worked sport as if it's a shoot. He's commentating about body changes in relation to wrestling. And there are way too many people that are projecting it to be something unsavory. And it's not. I'm not here to be the defend JR guy. I too think AEW would be better off rotating him in only for sit downs and big matches. I know that's not what he wants but that would benefit the over all product. But we need a little balancing of the opinions here. Because he's done nothing wrong in regards to his comments on Statlander last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It gets a bit annoying and repetitive when JR mentions that young guys need to “fill out” or add “XX amount of pounds to their frame” as if that means that they would get better automatically.

But I have zero issue with him putting wrestlers over for getting in better shape as it does show dedication and effort on their part and I’m sure they appreciate it. He’s been doing it a lot recently with Santana, Ortiz and Statlander. 

He has very bad habits nowadays but I do think this is negative in any way.

Edited by eikerir

MTV's The Challenge is a big competitor of AEW's in the 18-49 Demo. In it's season premiere it drew 494k in that Demo, 660k in total. AEW drew 454k in the 18-49 Demo. The real Wednesday Night Wars is between AEW and MTV's The Challenge. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

MTV's The Challenge is a big competitor of AEW's in the 18-49 Demo. In it's season premiere it drew 494k in that Demo, 660k in total. AEW drew 454k in the 18-49 Demo. The real Wednesday Night Wars is between AEW and MTV's The Challenge. 

That was pretty much the case before too. 

I stopped watching the challenge awhile ago and I'm really surprised it's still going this strong. Is this MTVs only hit show? 

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That was pretty much the case before too. 

I stopped watching the challenge awhile ago and I'm really surprised it's still going this strong. Is this MTVs only hit show? 

I don't watch MTV, the channel fell off around 07-08 when they finally decided to completely step away from showing any music on their Channel and don't get me started on MTV2 I love Martin and the Wayans Bros as much as the next person but thats all thats seems to air on MTV2 nowadays. MTV2 was lowkey one of the better cable channels of the early/mid aughts cuz no one in charge was paying attention.

• Like 1

I expected it to go down some more, as the previous weeks showed. The move to TBS could slightly boost their ratings. But streams do exist and the further decline of Cable happened these past years.

They need to slowly grow their younger names over time to boost appeal, also I think mostly focusing on ticket sales and merch and other ways to make money are more important than tv ratings.

I might be on an Island of this but I would kinda be ok with Christian taking the Impact title off Kenny. I was thinking who does Impact have to take the title? And assuming Kenny needs sometime of for shoulder surgery he gonna have to drop to somebody. Christian is a former TNA guy, he could win and then got to their show for a few months freeing up rapidly diminishing TV time for Punk and Bryan 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

I expected it to go down some more, as the previous weeks showed. The move to TBS could slightly boost their ratings. But streams do exist and the further decline of Cable happened these past years.

They need to slowly grow their younger names over time to boost appeal, also I think mostly focusing on ticket sales and merch and other ways to make money are more important than tv ratings.

To add to your point, I think with The Challenge airing as everyone mentioned and this being somewhat of a weak card on paper, I don't think it's a bad number whatsoever. I get the mental part of topping one million, but 989 is a hell of a number. 

5 hours ago, Goodear said:

My apologies but my understanding of THE NARRATIVE was that 2.0 were being super wasted in NXT and now they're in the awesome arms of AEW and now they're being used better. But it's really just the same thing with a larger audience near as I can tell.

From what I can tell the collective casual discussion casual  narrative casual is less comparative in literal use and more a vague “hey other NXT talent, we put 2.0 in a cute program with Sting and when we got Spears we put him with Cody and he’s now in a top heel faction” statement from AEW. Is that literally the case? Probably not but cute to think so. I could be misreading the narrative casual narrative.

As for liking 2.0, they are new and fun. This is their 2nd (I think) Dynamite and they had funny online bits. People are going to enjoy talking about what’s relevant and different from previous weeks. Maybe the gimmick doesn’t work long term and maybe it does. Maybe they turn face and people keep enjoying them. I don’t see the problem with them, unless if they’re not your taste and that’s fine too. They went from a team I didn’t care much about debuting to actually excited to see what they’ll do next. In a short period, that’s a success. If they can’t maintain people’s interest, they’ll be filtered out or become a Dark feature.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I might be on an Island of this but I would kinda be ok with Christian taking the Impact title off Kenny. I was thinking who does Impact have to take the title? And assuming Kenny needs sometime of for shoulder surgery he gonna have to drop to somebody. Christian is a former TNA guy, he could win and then got to their show for a few months freeing up rapidly diminishing TV time for Punk and Bryan 

If they were really in this to win this, he'd drop it to Jay White.

• Like 4