DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

25 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't disagree, my issue is just the way the message came across. "Appropriate weight" was the worst possible fucking way of putting it

Is there really a way that in talking about a woman’s weight he could have communicated that, that wouldn’t have irked you when it was coming from JR?

For instance, IMO, if he had said an “acceptable weight” that would have been far worse since that would have been a judgment on her previous weight.

Whereas appropriate can at least be viewed (and I’m certain what he meant) as a reference to her decision to compete at the weight.

Not sure there is a way you can communicate that a woman lost weight and it being better for her professional prospects without risking offending someone.

Just now, Craig H said:

Dude, we have called JR out on this bullshit when he says it about both men and women. 

Yea seconded. I brought up the Tony Jones shit earlier but he's been extra nasty about Chuck Taylor, for example. You think that dude just coincidentally started working in a singlet after going shirtless for 18 years?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As someone who is trying to get themselves into better shape, I am incredibly impressed with Stratlander. She posts a lot of workout stuff on Instagram and she works her ass (no JR pervy intended) off.

It's funny because quite a while back, like before Statlander got hurt, it was really obvious JR had gotten a talking to about this and was told not to reference women's size, just their power.  He was on commentary struggling with the Find & Replace function in his brain and he willny nilly substituted synonyms for "big" with synonyms for "strong."  It was so obvious, because it made no fucking sense at all, when Statlander did a top rope move and he went on about how such a move should be difficult for someone as  big strong as Statlander.

JR was recently edging into weirdo eugenics brother from Get Out territory when he opined that Ethan Page's "frame" could easily support 20 more pounds of muscle.  My dude talks about wrestlers like he's Monsieur Candy.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I can’t wait till JR’s time in the booth is done. I bet you Friday’s commentary will be an improvement.

I AM actually pretty interested to see how this goes, irrespective of the JR talk. Four man booth and Henry's never done it, it could go either way

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude that's my whole point on why he probably shouldn't be doing it

Except his job is to put over the talent and it would actually be insulting to the talent to not mention improvements to their physiques which they worked their asses off to achieve.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Four man booth sounds like a nightmare though especially with somebody as loud and obnoxious as Jericho. 

For what it's worth, Fozzy's on the road from September to February so I wouldn't necessarily count on that being a permanent thing. I think Khan said as much in an interview recently, as well

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EVA said:

In fairness, you have literally described what their characters are expressly supposed to be—they are doofuses who don’t realize they’re punching WAY over their weight.

What you’re thinking is a bug is actually a feature.

I'm desperate not to have to look at pages of people talking about JR so I am going to pick as many nits as possible in the hopes anything else can come up.

From a storytelling prospect, I'm not how being delusional losers is going to draw any heat. They are going to be putting other people over constantly so the fans would either be in a perpetual state of catharsis or they will start to route for 2.0 which means you're already setting up a face turn two weeks into their run. There are ways to get around this through mic work but my understanding is that they normally go for yucks rather than drawing ire. 

The closest I can think of historically is Stevie Richards working under Raven in ECW and that worked because Stevie was a lickspittle toadie who wouldn't stand up for himself. 

Alright, I love most of y'all but if you REALLY want to discuss JR Discord might be your best best.  There's a way to just do a thread that won't impact the main chats and I think that would help save some headaches for the admins here.  Granted that would give me potential headaches but I got some Aleve on the ready.  https://discord.gg/7u3hySK

And if y'all are wondering why I would subject Discord to these conversations it's because I only have one wish when it comes to JR discussions in these threads:

stop-dont-go-there-just-stop-it-jim_ross

Now for the love of everything more talk about awesome things like 2.0 please.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They are a side feud against goofs that take big bumps, and your fans love it because they like ass whoopings. That’s all they are there for.

So the difference between how they were used on NXT and AEW is that they get a bigger audience working with Darby and Sting?

2 minutes ago, Goodear said:

So the difference between how they were used on NXT and AEW is that they get a bigger audience working with Darby and Sting?

Is that what we are discussing? I just like them, and I think they are fun to watch. I really don’t give a crap what happened on NXT.

My apologies but my understanding of THE NARRATIVE was that 2.0 were being super wasted in NXT and now they're in the awesome arms of AEW and now they're being used better. But it's really just the same thing with a larger audience near as I can tell.

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Except his job is to put over the talent and it would actually be insulting to the talent to not mention improvements to their physiques which they worked their asses off to achieve.

I would take absolutely no issue with that. If JR had said, and @Jiji alluded to something this earlier, "Stat really improved her physique, and she worked her ass off to achieve it" we literally would not be having this conversation.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I can't figure out how to delete this, I didn't see your post yet Niko. This'll be my last word on it
  • Like 1