DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

29 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Also, how about 2.0? In a matter of two months, they have gone from being an afterthought in NXT to facing Sting and Darby next week

Did I miss this announcement?! I see a lot of sites reporting it, but there's nothing on AEW's Twitter and I'm positive they didn't mention this during the show. And 2.0 have to be signed at this point, right? Or close to it, anyway. Apparently Guevara vs Spears is next week too, with Sammy making a "major" announcement. Oh boy.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think I'm pretty over in general seeing Impact titles defended on Dynamite.

Pretty sure this was the first time an Impact title was defended on Dynamite, no?

Anyway, if they don't have a Punk appearance for The First Dance, or All Out, or if he's not signed, and Danielson isn't signed either... I feel really bad for Christian and Omega, because they're going to get eaten alive. And it's not entirely AEW's fault, but if they don't have one or the other, or both, then they shouldn't have done the best in the world tease with Darby. I'll let them slide on the unexpected United Center date announcement, but the timing and how they announced it and handled the immediate aftermath on-camera is suspect to say the least. I'm just super doubting all of this right now, I guess the ex-WWE cynical fan in me is creeping out, but in this situation it's probably better to temper expectations instead of being massively let down when/if Punk or Danielson or both never appear in an AEW ring.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

Did I miss this announcement?! I see a lot of sites reporting it, but there's nothing on AEW's Twitter and I'm positive they didn't mention this during the show. And 2.0 have to be signed at this point, right? Or close to it, anyway. Apparently Guevara vs Spears is next week too, with Sammy making a "major" announcement. Oh boy.

They announced it near the end of the show when announcing future cards. 

Dante Martin looked mighty impressive. He should drop the hurricanrana to the outside though. He’s a little too tall for that  Rey Mysterio spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Texas Tornado cause they're in Houston too

Edit - They announced it immediately after the Paul White/Schiavone stuff (after highlighting this weeks Rampage card)

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm going with Christian losing a fairly short match of under 10 minutes on Rampage via shenanigans, and he gets some kind of stipulation (cage?) added to the All Out match.  That ends up being a longer match, but Omega still wins again.

I like this idea. Then they would have a big post-match beat-down from the Elite on Cage and Jurassic Express, leading to Bryan (or Punk) making the save for his debut. The pop would be incredible.

You sometimes realize guys don’t have it anymore, but then you realize they’ve probably been holding back on Dark. That’s what Matt Sydal has done. Anytime he gets a Dynamite spot he pulls out his working boots. Which kinda shows you that Andrade was the one holding back in that one mediocre match Sydal had.

Not a momentous episode, but a damn good 2-hours of  tag wrestling in here. Now I think we are getting closer to those trios belts, with a lot of potential fun teams vying for them. It’s gonna be a tough choice on who should get them. Maybe they should tease that the Elite want to dominate the numbers 1, 2, and 3. But have a babyface team upset them in the finals.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

27 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Texas Tornado cause they're in Houston too

Edit - They announced it immediately after the Paul White/Schiavone stuff (after highlighting this weeks Rampage card)

We need more Tornado Tag Team Matches.

• Like 3

My guess is the Christian wins the Impact belt on Friday, but they do a post-match beatdown to take him out of the PPV, and then slot someone else into the PPV title match. 

• Like 2

Jim Ross must know the stories about Don stooging to get his ECW commentary spot, because he made some vague  references to it last night.

Also, guys, if you got chest hair, let it flow. Kenny, and Garcia have these black pits on their chest from having trouble shaving there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

All I know is that people can hate on Christian vs Omega, but the match itself is going to be fantastic and the consensus will be that Christian’s still got it, when he never lost it in the first place. Not to mention how he carries himself like a star. Dude wasn’t even slightly phased by the CM Punk chants, and got the crowd back on his side with ease.

• Like 6

Copy and paste from the AEW Rampage thread:

For your consideration:

• Christian wins the Impact World Championship for a shocking moment on the debut episode and that Kenny Omega's AEW World Championship is in jeopardy at All Out.
  • Running this match here and at All Out? Perhaps Christian is taken out and there's an All Out replacement?
  • AEW doesn't do a TV match then at a PPV over and over like WWE does.

Edited 7 hours ago by The Natural

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Been a fan of Christian since Edge and Christian tag team. The match will be great. Shane it's overshadowed by Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Adam Page and Darby Allin.

Only until the bell rings. Kenny can make anyone look like a threat to his title, and Christian is fantastic at constructing matches. They’ll have the crowd biting on near falls.

• Like 3

Has AEW even mentioned that Omega is defending his AAA title against Andrade in Mexico soon? Admittedly, AEW doesn't have a great track record about mentioning the AAA belt on TV (he defended it twice on TV early pandemic, then mentioned going to Mexico to defend it at TripleMania last year).

Kurt Schiavone looks to be in his early 30s or so. I remember him doing traffic reports on WSB Radio in Atlanta when his dad was the sports director there, and that was 7-8 years ago. The whole bit was awkward, and it's hard for me to take The Factory seriously as a threat when they pretty much lost every match in the Cody and Company feud. 

I know the purpose of the "no entrance music" stipulation is to have the fans sing "Judas" as Jericho enters the ring, but when I heard MJF mention this stipulation, my first thought was that he's completely run out of ideas. I half-expected him to come up with something more ridiculous ("You're a Hertz Gold Star member, but I've made sure you'll come to the arena next week in a car rented from Avis. And you'll be sharing your car with Abadon!")

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DeathyBoy said:

All I know is that people can hate on Christian vs Omega, but the match itself is going to be fantastic and the consensus will be that Christian’s still got it, when he never lost it in the first place. Not to mention how he carries himself like a star. Dude wasn’t even slightly phased by the CM Punk chants, and got the crowd back on his side with ease.

Still having it and never having lost it in the first place are the same thing so that's cool imo

4 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Also, how about 2.0? In a matter of two months, they have gone from being an afterthought in NXT to facing Sting and Darby next week... after facing Darby, Mox, and Kingston last week.

How did WWE miss the boat on those guys? I personally love them. They'd be an excellent plucky underdog team to get a tag title run someday hopefully.

I was thinking about this too, that had to be by design. I mean, that was basically an internationally televised pitch to anyone with an NXT deal up soon. 

I’m leaning towards Christian getting taken out and going INTO the PPV with no declared challenger.  

Normally, I wouldn’t ever suggest something like that being a good idea. But these are unique times with the specter of Punk and Bryan hanging over each show.  It’s works as a nice slight of hand where both the surprise and potentially awesome match sell it just as well as any names on the marquee.  

Another fun show that should make WWE feel ashamed of the last 10 years of adversarial booking.  

Daunte Martin is this weeks MVP.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 4

I liked Kenny's Mr Burns line as Christian and JX were leaving "were you singing woahh oh oh oh oh or nooo no no noo?". His deranged heel shtick is great. 

I had a feeling MJF would ban the Judas Effect so that when he loses to a surreptitious Judas Effect he can still call himself undefeated as he did after losing to Mox. They continue to plant seeds of Max pushing Wardlow too far with his line about losing to Cody (lovely call back) and this is one of the best long term stories they have going. 

Please please no more of the "oh the adversity I have faced!!!" promos between FTR and PnP, just tell me why they hate each other instead. 

There has to come a point where someone, anyone doesn't look terrified of 60 year old Sting, doesn't there? 

That Andrade Chavo promo was messy, Chavo cutting across Andrade all the time followed by Andrade, "I'm the boss", line but then Chavo ignores that ?‍♂️ looking forward to him against PAC though, should be a hell of a match. 

Maybe AEW aren't a PVP focused company, because the build to All Out is overshadowed by TV shows, which might make sense if the TNT contract is good enough. Good for me because I enjoy my 2 (soon to be 3)hours of AEW on the Fite app. 

Wrestle heavy two hour show that was missing a lot of guys completely (Mox, Kingston, Hangman, Cody, Archer & more), but we still only get one women’s match?

Went back and looked through Dynamite results from this year to find the last time some of the contracted women had their last match on Dynamite -

Thunder Rosa - 7/28

Yuka Sakazaki - 7/14

Penelope Ford - 7/14

Jade Cargill - 5/28

Hikaru Shida - 5/18

Serena Deeb - 5/18 (injured)

Tay Conti - 4/21

Riho - 2/17

Abadon - 1/6

Big Swole - Has not had a Dynamite match this year

There is no reason they can’t cut a couple video packages every week (do we really need a Bucks match plus one, sometimes two additional video/interview segments every week) and add another women’s match to the show. Would help build up some actual challengers for Britt as well, as opposed to just randomly inserting someone into a program like they did with Red Velvet.

Edited by MKERyan
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Honestly, probably the thing they'll do. He can do his frog splash off the cage. I'm for it. Also would enjoy Omega spewing some dumbass line about Christian Cage in a cage. He's been doing well with the putzy shit lately.

I can't think of what it would be, but there might be some stipulation they could add that would actually get people excited about the match - like with the exploding barbed wire match, where people were excited for the stip more than anything. It goes without saying that Christian won't he doing any sort of deathmatch, though.

I was at the show live. Some notes that my friends and I came up with

every single segment had 1 person who was insanely over with the crowd. 

Whenever a match would end and the competitors would go back towards the tunnel, they never had time to pose. A backstage interview would pop up on the screen.  Sting was going to do his pose and Bryce rushed him into the tunnel. Sting did not look happy.

The show was excellent considering no Cody, no Black, no Miro, no Andrade, no Page. 

The Dark Elevation matches before the show were fun. Ray Lyn and Thunder Rosa was fun.  Shida looked great in her match. 

The crowd was tired for the matches after the show.  Brian Cage was in a squash match.  The main event was Evans/Angelico vs Lucha Bros.

Eddie Kingston came out to do a long promo and Brit came out to send the crowd home happy.  

Sammy Guerva/Serpentico had a spot where the went right into the barricade and it was pushed into Mark Madden's knee. Looked like he may have been legit hurt as he left right after the match.

Unlike WWE, they only had the 1 merch stand and only sold a few shirts. $35 for a shirt that you could get at hot topic for less is not a sound move Tony!!!

There is an Evil Uno meet and greet going on today and a bunch of the wrestlers will be at comic con here Saturday.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1