DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

It's late in the day and nobody's started this thread yet.  Are we all just kind of looking past this one and looking ahead to Rampage? 

5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow -- Has it been clarified yet whether MJF is the ref or will just be at ringside?  I think it has and he'll just be at ringside, but I'm not 100%.  Actually, I'm 100% because Aubrey refs all of Jericho's matches.  "I'll be at ringside" is a pretty wack stip.  I guess the gimmick is Jericho will have to overcome interference?  I like Wardlow but I'm not super psyched about this, as it's a bit of a comedown after two surprise guests.

Impact Tag Team Titles: The Good Brothers vs Evil Uno & Stu Grayson -- It's probably too early in this program for Gallows and Anderson to lose the belts, right?  Wouldn't taking even tertiary belts off the Elite take a little shine off Hangman's eventual win?  I'm guessing this is just an angle advancement match.  Really depends on what the plan is for Kenny/Hangman, I guess.  It is pretty hilarious that the Dark Order lost their shot at the AEW tag belts but still qualify for a shot at Impact's.  oof

Darby Allin vs RED DEATH Daniel Garcia -- Both guys are really good.  Sounds like a styles clash on paper but I think it'll work out fine.  2.0 will be with Garcia and they're some fun stooges.

OC, Chucky T, & Wheeler Yuta vs Hardy Party -- I don't care much about Matt Hardy, nor do I really care about PP as heels.  The Best Friends will be fun, though.

Nyla Rose vs Kris Statlander -- Have these two worked together in AEW before?  I don't have high hopes for this one.  Nyla needs to be carried and Statlander isn't a carrier, I don't think.  I hope I'm wrong but this might be ugly.

Kenny & The Bucks vs Dante Martin & The Sydal Brothers -- This should be really good.  AEW never fails with six man matches.  Watch this thread for the ensuing bitching about Rick Knox.

Christian Cage will be cut off during an interview!

Dan Lambert maybe cuts a promo!

Something with Britt Baker because this is her hometown.  Maybe she'll be a true yinzer and bitch about how the Stillers are Bill Cowher's team and how Tomlin owes all his success to what Cowher built!  ?

Anyway, everybody enjoy some good wrestling where being over 30 (this isn't Logan's Run for fuck's sake), under 6'2", 245lbs, and not JAKKKKKKED is fine!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nyla defended the Women's championship title BELT against Kris on PPV 2 years ago.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Nyla defended the Women's championship title BELT against Kris on PPV 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, Goodear said:

I think they were also part of the tag match where they threw Nyla on top of Britt and hurt her leg in the process.

I remembered the tag match but I meant singles.  I forgot all about that title match but thanks for reminding me!  IIRC, Statlander was really ill going into it and both were pretty unhappy with the result.  Maybe they'll see this as a chance to put right what once went wrong, and that time, experience, and not having the flu will be one their side.

5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow --I'm sort of assuming that MJF should be arranging this so Jericho gets through but will so be so beaten down that MJF can pick up the pieces at the end since why wouldn't he want to do that? This is one of those times when I would advocate for a blatant disqualification finish (like Wardlow powerbombing Jericho through a table) since jobbing Wardlow seems so counterproductive long term. Here's hoping for Miro being the last labor with the stipulation that Jericho has to live through the match to progress.

Impact Tag Team Titles: The Good Brothers vs Evil Uno & Stu Grayson -- Yuck. Good Brothers are the Brian Adams of the Elite. I don't really expect much of anything from them. I would rather they put over The Dark Order but I don't expect it. Having The Elite win all the time is a bummer to me so I just don't have interest in their matches anymore.

Darby Allin vs RED DEATH Daniel Garcia -- Really weird booking to put a new heel in a jobbing situation against one of your top babyfaces two weeks in a row. I don't see Garcia breaking out so I'm not sure I see a point to it. This is such a step down from the Men of the Year feud. I actually miss them.

OC, Chucky T, & Wheeler Yuta vs Hardy Party -- I will buck @Technico Supportand say Isiah Kassidy is actually a pretty decent undercard bumping heel figure in the style of PG-13. He's way better at that than he was being a face. Marq was better as a baby. Matt is good at impregnating his wife.  I've yet to be impressed with Wheeler who is generic good wrestler man. I was thinking the Best Friends - HFO series was blown off with the Blade-Orange match. Or maybe I was just hopeful.

Nyla Rose vs Kris Statlander -- Predicting Statlander goes over. Hopefully Nyla is getting cycled out for newer talent. 

Kenny & The Bucks vs Dante Martin & The Sydal Brothers -- "Good match" that does nothing for anyone but fill television time. 

I think Wardlow is going to fuck up Jericho something fierce tonight. It should be glorious. And I say that as someone who likes Chris Jericho the performer, but I like Wardlow a whole lot more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goodear said:

5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow --I'm sort of assuming that MJF should be arranging this so Jericho gets through but will so be so beaten down that MJF can pick up the pieces at the end since why wouldn't he want to do that? This is one of those times when I would advocate for a blatant disqualification finish (like Wardlow powerbombing Jericho through a table) since jobbing Wardlow seems so counterproductive long term. Here's hoping for Miro being the last labor with the stipulation that Jericho has to live through the match to progress.

Since everyone somehow missed this, MJF is the final labor. It all ends with MJF. If Jericho gets through Wardlow, then he gets MJF next. They pointed this out a few times now, but folks keep thinking there will be one last test Jericho will have to go through.

Also, sign me up for some kind of DQ finish. Maybe Wardlow keeps pummeling Chris past the 5 count and Aubrey has to DQ Wardlow. I think that would be more than acceptable instead of Jericho winning with the Deus Ex Judas Effect again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This show doesn't seem very good in paper. Fine but not good. Here's hoping Darby and Garcia get a good chunk of time. 

It seems like a “calm before the storm.”

Kris Statlander vs Nyla is almost certainly going to be awful again. Hopefully, it’s just a showcase for Statlander to get her ready to face Dr. Britt at the ppv, so doesn’t go on too long.

I agree with Craig you can almost see the Jericho match ending in a DQ to protect Wardlow. And that’s probably the smart thing to do since Jericho needs to win to progress the storyline.

Pretty meh on paper but maybe it’ll exceed expectations.

For someone that looks like they're in really good shape, Marq Quen has some Nyla Rose level cardio. That dude is always gassing out way too early in matches. This being a trios match should protect him, at least. I mean, how are you going to have worse cardio than old man Hardy?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Since everyone somehow missed this, MJF is the final labor. It all ends with MJF. If Jericho gets through Wardlow, then he gets MJF next. They pointed this out a few times now, but folks keep thinking there will be one last test Jericho will have to go through.

Wardlow beats on Jericho really bad, maybe gets DQ'd, but doesn't stop. Then MJF announces that the fifth labor begins right then and quickly puts Jericho away? Either that, or Jericho somehow pulls out the win.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I agree with Craig you can almost see the Jericho match ending in a DQ to protect Wardlow. And that’s probably the smart thing to do since Jericho needs to win to progress the storyline.

Agreed that Wardlow ought not to lose to Jericho.  I don't see a DQ.  I see a Wardlow win, probably following some heeling, which signals no match with MJF.  MJF however grants the match due to a depleted Jericho.

I am as excited about Darby Allin v Daniel Garcia as much as anything they've ever announced for a Wednesday or Friday night.  Sydals/Dante Martin-Elite will also be, no doubt, a wonderful six man.

I noticed last night skimming Dark that the Chicago live Rampage features a Christian Cage graphic.  I like to think that's the show that will feature Cage-Omega.  Not All Out.  I know the story tells us Hangman-Omega is bumped from the PPV, but then why do the beatdown segment last week?  I'm of the belief that Hangman-Omega will be back on for All Out before much longer.    

28 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hope they can successfully get people to care about the Christian-Omega angle.

That's all I've got. 

It may have been a necessary beat in Adam Page's story, but reminding people how much they wanted to see Page win the belt, teasing that match, then not delivering it certainly didn't do Christian any favours.

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, sign me up for some kind of DQ finish. Maybe Wardlow keeps pummeling Chris past the 5 count and Aubrey has to DQ Wardlow.

Wait, is there a rule that you can only pummel Chris Jericho for five seconds? Because that would suck for wrestlers who like to pummel Chris Jericho. Which I'd imagine is a lot of them.

AEW is in a weird position. They have a lot of big things in motion. The first Rampage show. The First Dance. The Grand Slam show. Punk. Danielson. But they also have a PPV that is (checks calendar) three weeks from Sunday. And thus far have not really set anything in stone for the PPV. They have some stories on the stove cooking. But nothing is really in that ready to eat state yet. Basically I'm just very hungry and that's messing with my metaphors here lol. But the PPV is three weeks from Sunday. I hope having all these other big things on their plate doesn't let them forget to lock in the main course.

Hoping they set at least one match for the PPV in stone tonight.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow -- Has it been clarified yet whether MJF is the ref or will just be at ringside?  I think it has and he'll just be at ringside, but I'm not 100%.  

Just accompanying Wardlow to the ring, according to Wrestling Observer.  The "he's the ref" thing seems to have been a flub by JR that no one corrected.

Not an outstanding card, but I'm looking forward to the show.  Haven't seen Grayson and Uno wrestle since their Canadian indy days when Grayson was doing the Player Dos gimmick.  

Edited by Eoae

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

AEW is in a weird position. They have a lot of big things in motion. The first Rampage show. The First Dance. The Grand Slam show. Punk. Danielson. But they also have a PPV that is (checks calendar) three weeks from Sunday. And thus far have not really set anything in stone for the PPV. They have some stories on the stove cooking. But nothing is really in that ready to eat state yet. Basically I'm just very hungry and that's messing with my metaphors here lol. But the PPV is three weeks from Sunday. I hope having all these other big things on their plate doesn't let them forget to lock in the main course.

Chris Jericho vs MJF will be the reheated meatloaf course. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3