DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 8/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sounds like a Takeover match for Raquel-Dakota becomes official tonight.  And I'm guessing a Cole-KOR Loser Leaves Town match too? 

....or loser just signed a new deal and isn't getting future endeavored like most of this brand in a month.

• Haha 1

The people who should really be nervous is the 4 people left in the prospect tournament tonight.   Chances are all 4 of them are getting released in the next month.   Including the winner of this.   Which would the 2nd time that happened although the first one was completely their fault 

Edited by hammerva

They seem really high on Odyssey Jones as he is already been working dark matches with (and against) Austin Theory

He is 6'5", close to 400 lbs so he is exactly what they want now

God, with all of the releases TakeOver may end up like one of Stallion's PWF shows where one guy works the curtain jerker as himself and then pulls double duty in the mid-card with a mask.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Should I go back and watch the Sarray match? Only things I caught tonight were 1. Dexter getting caked and 2. Dragunov laying down in the main event right before his big return match with WALTER, because WWE

I found that odd, but hey NXT is allegedly under new management. You would think once Walter appeared that would be enough for a DQ or No Contest.

Dragonov is so damn good. It's a shame he doesn't meet the height requirements. I loved his promo earlier in the night when he said he doesn't use words, but his fists do talk for him.

Dakota/Sarray was solid if a bit rough. You could tell the two weren't used to each other. Surprised to see Sarray eat her first loss here.

Priscilla Kelly looked good in her squash match and promo.

Dibiase settign thigns up so Cameron can get one last shot a the Million Dollar belt was decent.

I skipped the KOR/Cole segment other than seeing they are having a 3 Stages of Hell match.

Ciampa and Thatcher's segment was neat and I'm looking forward to Thatcher/Holland.

The Way/Lumis segments were amusing.

Dragunov's promo was good and the match with Dunne was damn good. Not really sure why he had to lose here unless they are setting up a rematch for the UK title after Ilja beats WALTER. I admittedly don't want that to happen because I want WALTER to be champ forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like @Eivion, I want WALTER to remain NXT United Kingdom Champion. When the time does come to drop it, I'd want it to be against Tyler Bate. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate from NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff was my 2019 worldwide Match of the Year, rated it *****. I hoped it would be here instead of WALTER/Dragunov. I wasn't as high on that match as others were.

In no mood for the Adam Cole match formula as seen in the Cole/Gargano trilogy, Ciampa and O'Reilly. This is coming from a big fan of two out of three falls matches and to a lesser extent, 3 Stages of Hell. I expect this to be too long and too OTT.

Edited by The Natural

I was sorta okay with Sarray jobbing out, but I expected Dakota to at least have to string two or three moves together to beat her.  I didn't expect Sarray to eat a pump kick in the middle of a transition back to offense.  Did not like that finish.  Sarray deserved to die a warrior's death.

I can almost taste a renewal of the Priscilla Kelly / Lacey Ryan feud from CWFH before Priscilla left for Shine and left Lacey to carry Heather Monroe to greatness.  That Lightning Spiral out of the Abdominal Stretch is not a half bad finish.

MSK cut a pretty awesome promo.

Why did they book Grimes vs. LA Knight into a corner?  Odds are that Grimes will win.  I suppose it could be a swerve and Ted could turn heel and stab Grimes in the back, but most Legends want to be booked as babyface mentors.

Why do I care more about Dragunov vs WALTER more than Kyle vs. Cole?

Edited by J.T.

I like KOR but the whole forced epic style matches Cole has been having for the past few years has pretty much killed my interest in this program. They're obviously going the full three falls and they picked the most uninteresting stipulations possible for what will eat up a ton of time at the PPV.

With all the releases going on it's good to see Kelly/Dolin get a push as opposed to her walking papers. She looked good here and that finisher was a new and innovative move.

Odyssey Jones/Blake Christian was a glorified squash, but I thought it was a fantastic little TV match with the smaller guy using his speed and craftiness trying to work the leg but not being able to contend with someone of superior size and strength. Jones is strictly a PC guy isn't he? Green or not he's got a lot of upside.

Looks like I'm in the minority here but the Lumis/Way stuff is a total channel changer for me. On the other hand, I'm enjoying everything with Grimes and Knight, despite Knight being completely uninteresting once the bell rings.

Dunne/Dragunov was awesome and deserved to be a bigger program.

Edited by HumanChessgame

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Looks like I'm in the minority here but the Lumis/Way stuff is a total channel changer for me. 

Same.  I liked the Garganos last year as comedy characters, but haven't liked the Way near as much, particularly once Lumis got involved.  It seems like they're slowly turning Johnny babyface again, which doesn't interest me.

Meh show.  Not much interested me.  Lack of Joe was disappointing.  Enjoyed the main, but thought the wrong guy went over.  Dunne hasn't had much direction since the Pat Pack broke up, while the other guy is in one of the most-hyped matches on Takeover.  

MSK claiming to be fighting champions was vaguely amusing, considering they haven't been on the show for five weeks.  

For better of worse, I found myself looking at everyone on the show in terms of what their future with the company might be.  Don't feel like there are many prospects.  

Well, before the era of technically superior sub-6 footers comes to end, Dunne and Dragunov added another classic to NXT's catalogue. Pete was on fire all match. His timing and transitions (both in striking and on the ground) were excellent. Even the picture in picture segment was full of crisp action instead of slow-mo filler or comedy stalling. Ilja's a guy that's usually just kinda there for me, but he brought enough fire and leaned into Pete's strikes like a champ to help elevate the match. The false finishes were good enough to bite on, especially with the built-in assumption that Ilja had to win, but stayed just shy of eye-rolling overkill.

Always great to see Walter, even if he didn't do much here.

Edited by Go2Sleep

I know I should know better but LOVED The Way stuff. I loved the aforementioned “Protection” part, loved Indy’s one-sided conversation with an expressionless Lumis and really loved Gargano’s fake accent. With the pregnancy I’d love for them to add another “kid” to take her place and have Indy jealous of the attention the new “kid” is getting.  

I always have watched NXT with an eye to who I think could be big in WWE proper.  This was my first time seeing Dragunov and I’m not sure there is an NXT guy I have ever seen with less WWE upside than he. I thought his promo was okay but is miles away from what WWE expects out of their guys (Can just hear Vince going “Wait how is this guy Russian? He doesn’t sound like Boris from Bulwinkle at all?!”). He’s got a real sports feel to him, right down to his look, his build and his mannerisms, none of which seem to play in WWE. And his wrestling would be over huge in NJPW but I can’t see it playing at all on Raw or SD. Plus imagine him coming out on a WWE show with that theme and playing a face?! WWE Creative would blow a gasket!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caley said:

I always have watched NXT with an eye to who I think could be big in WWE proper.  This was my first time seeing Dragunov and I’m not sure there is an NXT guy I have ever seen with less WWE upside than he. 

Yeah, I've liked what I've seen of Dragunov in Progress and WXW, but I've got no idea what the WWE saw in him outside of "let's cut UK indies off at the knees."  He's fine, but doesn't seem suited to what the WWE system wants out of main roster talent.

I've started watching NXT with an eye towards who seems likely to get a call-up and do well on the main roster.  And the answer seems to be.... practically nobody?  It's killed my remaining interest in NXT.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Yeah, I've liked what I've seen of Dragunov in Progress and WXW, but I've got no idea what the WWE saw in him outside of "let's cut UK indies off at the knees."  He's fine, but doesn't seem suited to what the WWE system wants out of main roster talent.

I've started watching NXT with an eye towards who seems likely to get a call-up and do well on the main roster.  And the answer seems to be.... practically nobody?  It's killed my remaining interest in NXT.

This was fine when they were presenting it as the third brand, or the unspoken internal alternative to their own product, but now it seems like anyone who doesn't fit the mold will get released which is a downer.

People that seem like they might work on the main roster, at least as well as anyone could work on the main roster: Kross, Swerve, Top Dolla, Lumis (although he'd need to be rebooted as a heel), Theory, LA Knight, Boa, plus some of the Breakout guys. They seem high on Odyssey Jones and Duke Hudson. Pretty much all the women would be fine too since there isn't really a gap between what they want out of the top main roster women and top NXT women, unlike the men.