DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Scorpion & The Frog - 8/9/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Only Pittsburghers would understand but I popped huge at Corey's "Smiling like a butcher's dog!" line for Randy to open Raw.

The show-ending RKO was hilarious with both of them laughing, either on purpose or not. 

9 minutes ago, Peck said:

Only Pittsburghers would understand but I popped huge at Corey's "Smiling like a butcher's dog!" line for Randy to open Raw.

The show-ending RKO was hilarious with both of them laughing, either on purpose or not. 

Huh, Byron did say something weird about them still being together, didn't he?

22 minutes ago, nate said:

Sweet sell of the RKO by Riddle.

And, holy shit, Elias as the new Fiend would be the most WWEest thing to ever WWE.

Soap Opera Announcer: "The part of the Fiend will now be played by Elias." 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I do like Natural Selection as a finisher.

Really? I think it looks terrible most of the time. I only like the diving version. I wish she would use a different impact finisher.

Raw was mostly background noise for me or fast forwarded. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Really? I think it looks terrible most of the time. I only like the diving version. I wish she would use a different impact finisher.

Raw was mostly background noise for me or fast forwarded. 

Natural Selection does look rough at times. Gets bonus points with me as you can do it to anyone and how it takes advantage of a downed wrestler with their back turned to Flair.

Edited by The Natural

How do you fuck up such a slam dunk WWE gimmick like Elias?

He has the charisma to be heel or face.

An insanely over catchphrase that is built on the name of your brand.

He looks like the long lost son of Randy Savage and could a pretty sweet elbow drop too.

But they did nothing of substance with him and now he gets repackaged.

Meanwhile Orton and Ziggler are the same goons they've been for the last 10+ years, entrance music and all.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah that grace period from fans on gimmicks like Alexa Bliss has more than passed.   But most people expected it.   

Elias was the only wrestler in the last 5 years who made the tired as hell shitting on local sports team promo still work.    Can only imagine what they are thinking about version 2 of his character.     

Edited by hammerva

Elias seems like a missed opportunity to me.  Dude was over coming out of NXT and seemed to be decently over on the main roster even though they didn't try hard to keep him over.  He could work heel or face equally well.  Hopefully, they're not going to bury him with Fiend 2.0, but at least that might lessen the chance that Bray gets re-signed.

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

You have to find something for him to do on a three hour show in an environment with mostly even booking every week for years?

The gimmick gave him some natural advantages there but nothing survives the grind.

I blame his pairing and eventual feud with Ryker.  Even if he had nothing to do with it I just want to blame him anyway.

And I'll always have a soft spot for when him and Owens shat on Seattle about the Supersonics.  They really, really touched a nerve with that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The loud, collective groan from the crowd when the doll winked was something else. 

I turned it on to see THAT and immediately changed back to Andrew Zimmern or whatever. 

Vince probably thought "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE JACKASS WITH A GUITAR PAL". The old toy got thrown away for the shiny new one with the electric. 

At least we'll always have that moment that he made some comment about the local hockey team losing or something and got a white heat reaction from the crowd. 

EDIT: Here it is

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

He has the charisma to be heel or face.

I've been meaning to chase down that promo, but the heel heat that he and Owens got a couple of years ago was unbelievable. That crowd lost their minds. 

• Like 1