DVDVR Message Board

44 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I remember finding that video on limewire or something (amazed it wasn't a virus). I was like "ok, I've seen this damn commercial for years on every ECW show". It sucks when you found out Paul E. totally grifted her into doing it. 

OH YEAH SURE, THE CAMERA'S WON'T BE ROLLING.

That’s gross. I just remembered seeing that ad. Again and again.

Hopefully, the Battle of the Bam Bams was consensual.

• Haha 1

I remember a few years after I was telling someone about the Kimona incident and I don't know how many times I said her full name out loud before that when I finally said it slow enough to realize... OOOOOHHHHHHHHH

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nineteen said:

I remember a few years after I was telling someone about the Kimona incident and I don't know how many times I said her full name out loud before that when I finally said it slow enough to realize... OOOOOHHHHHHHHH

Her name always reminds me of when WCW brought her in with the much lousier (if that's even possible) name of Lea Meow and Kevin Sullivan was on commentary leering "Lea Meow...get it Tony? Lea Meow. Lea Meowww." and it basically sounded like the Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Monty Python sketch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The promo with the Public Enemy training Mikey to face Sandman by having him climb a ladder and grab beers out of a tree for Johnny to chug was the best. It's an Easter egg on one of the WWE ECW DVDs.

Go Mikey Go!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Control said:

What about the night Kimona Wanalaya danced atop the ECW arena!?

It was hot and crowded when the ring broke. I went home (or to the bar or hotel, I'm not sure) and didn't see it. ECW started to become like the Yogi Berra saying, no one goes there anymore because its too crowded.

I went to went to the Philly Sports Bar shows, the first TV taping at Cabrini College, and the first show at the Arena. Tod Gordon stopped my friends from tearing the sign on the outside of the ECW Arena down to take home. The sign had the date of the show on it, so we thought it was OK to take it. Todd said that they could change the date for the future. We all apologized to him. One of our group did some indy wrestling as Jersey Hurricane. He was actually the first person to bring a frying pan from the dollar store to ECW. 

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

His tenure with WCW was terrible. I only remember a handful of matches, but they slotted him in with the cruiserweights, a role that he was ill-suited for at the time. They didn't devote any time whatsoever to him, and he was less than an afterthought.

This is a third-hand, probably bullshit, not-quite-sleaze-thread level story I heard once about Mikey's WCW tenure: Apparently, the night before his debut, he was out partying with various revelers and friends in a hotel room, someone had a blow-up doll and had inserted an empty beer bottle into its private parts. At some point in the night, someone else jumped off the hotel bed to drop an elbow onto the doll and the bottle fired out and hit Mikey in the head, concussing him, which is why he was so lousy during his run.

I am not even sure if the timeline (never mind the physics!) in that story make any sense, but I feel like it has been long enough and is innocent enough in spirit to be shared here, because I have no idea when else his WCW run is gonna come up in discussion otherwise.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I remember some interview Mikey did between ECW and WCW and his answer to every question was “[rabble rabble rabble] like in WCW even though it sucked there.” He was trying so hard to remind everybody he was in WCW while also trying to make cool 90s passive aggressive digs at WCW. He seems kinda like Raven but anyway he was great in ECW, a perfect example of a fresh guy who was rough around the edges, who Paul could make look great. 

I don’t think Shane Douglas vs Pitbull 2 was a terrible match really. Calling it the worst match in history kind of became 1 of those things people repeated on the internet to sound smart. If you don’t like the match that’s 1 thing but people who discovered the internet all posted this within a week on the first forum they ever found: “Man Luger ran like a bitch from Brody. Man Brain Pillman carried Luger. Man Tom Zenk sucked. Man Shane/Pitbull is the worst match ever.”

I thought it was a pretty normal Shane Douglas match, and his working the crowd and heeling it up was over and usually made up for the lack of moonsaults and crisp chain wrestling in his matches. Maybe people were expecting a little to much on the first ever ppv, and considering what they’d already seen on that show good fish there was just no way. So it ended up being the worst match on the show. I still thought it was ok. And I like Francine’s cleavage lol! Skinny minnies are usually my thing but she made it work.

Edited by BloodyChamp

The thing about Shane vs Pitbull 2 is, Barely Legal was delayed by several months, so all the angles designed to lead to the show ended up stuck in inertia as they had to run for longer than had been planned. Which was fine for most of them, because they were building to the first match in the feud. But Douglas vs 2 was designed to be the final match in the feud, so they had to keep rematching each other, over and over. So by the time it happened, they'd used all of their good ideas, and then all of their not-as-good ideas, then all of their bad ideas, then run out of ideas completely...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ka-to said:

It was hot and crowded when the ring broke. I went home (or to the bar or hotel, I'm not sure) and didn't see it. ECW started to become like the Yogi Berra saying, no one goes there anymore because its too crowded.

Given Heyman's tendencies for things, I'm still not sold on the excessive delay was to fix the ring, or was to regimmick the ring so that it "broke" during the RVD/Sabu main.  But yeah, the Arena was always a fucking oven and it was particularly bad that night.  

@twiztorthanks for starting this thread!  Your first post really took me back.  I first saw ECW in 94 or 95 in college.  Our school had this weird homebrew cable system that a guy who ran a local satellite provider had cobbled together for them and we only got a few channels (funny thing is I ended up working with the guy a few years later, just a super cool dude).  One of them was the America One network, which aired wrestling every night at 11.  I'll never forget seeing ECW and the first episode I saw was the one where they covered Shane Douglas throwing down the belt.  Every episode was just had this raw, real, dangerous feeling like it was something you weren't supposed to be seeing, especially compared to the crap WWF and WCW were giving us at the time.  The show moved around and whether we'd get it from week to week was a crapshoot, but that probably added to the mystique and I'll never forget it.

• Like 2

Only time I went to ECW Arena was when Evolve had their network special.  Show was alright but the crowd and myself lost their shit when Heyman appeared.  I was initially disappointed it wasn't an oven but did kind of like the upgrades with the building.  Thankfully the main arena was the same layout and it was fun seeing where everything was from when I would see it on the network.  It also led to a humorous moment after the show as in the men's bathroom they had a huge ECW mural.  So I go about my business and on my way out two women come in the room.  After realizing it was just me they proceed to do a photoshoot in front of the mural and took pictures of me in front of it using my phone.

Compared to how things were when ECW was around I'm sure this was rather tame.  Heck, if I was able to go then who knows what kind of shenanigans I would have ended up in.  But I still chuckle thinking about how two attractive women decided to say fuck it and do a photoshoot in the men's room.

Oh, and watching '93 ECW now with proper music I had to laugh seeing Surfer Sandman coming out to "Surfin' USA".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh, and watching '93 ECW now with proper music I had to laugh seeing Surfer Sandman coming out to "Surfin' USA".

i don't remember who said it, but a few years back someone suggested the idea of Sandman using "Mr. Sandman" by the Chordettes as his entrance theme. I can't get the image out of my head of him sticking his head through the curtain to say "Yes?" at the beginning of the song. Thank you whoever mentioned that years ago. I will still think of it at random times and chuckle to myself.

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i don't remember who said it, but a few years back someone suggested the idea of Sandman using "Mr. Sandman" by the Chordettes as his entrance theme. I can't get the image out of my head of him sticking his head through the curtain to say "Yes?" at the beginning of the song. Thank you whoever mentioned that years ago. I will still think of it at random times and chuckle to myself.

LOOOOL I'm thinking of the "bong bong bong bong bong bong" refrain while he smashes beer cans over his head and I'm dying.

• Haha 4

Good *gosh not good fish wtf.

There are so many HOW CAN YOU TALK ABOUT ECW WITHOUT MENTIONING _________! possibilities because...well...how can you lol! There was just so much good stuff and it all mattered. It all contributed to the show. The Three Way Dance is my pick. Some of those matches don’t hold up to what they were but they’re still really good, and it doesn’t even have to be explained that they were amazing at the time for all the hooks and turns they took storylinewise. 

1 that I also still like and can watch any time is the Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Jerry Lynn match. That can’t be left out either. That match was plugged and highlighted for all of ECW’s existence like Jerry Lynn vs RVD from HH 99 and some others. 

August 1996, Plymouth Meeting, PA. A front row motley crew of me, Phil Jones, John Lister, Rob Butcher and Antony Howells. ‘Natural Born Killaz’ hits, fear sets in, a garbage can literally sails over my head into ringside, everyone shits themselves, grabs their crap and flees. It was a world of wonder for wide eyed innocent UK fans!

Can I go back please?

Edited by matwarz
Expand
  • Like 2

ECW House show in Toledo, I wanna say 2000...

Me: Hey Heather, you like "Natural Born Killaz" by Dr. Dre and Ice Cube?
My Friend Heather: [shrug] I guess?
Me: Well you better get used to it because its going to play for the entirety of this next match...

Out comes New Jack...

James

i watched the 2012 "Extreme Reunion" show put on by Shane Douglas yesterday. 

maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it, but ooof. not good. Every match went about 10 minutes too long, the crowd was horrible, the wrestlers seemed unmotivated, and of fucking course Shane put himself over in the main event.  I think it's safe to say that 10 years after ECW went out of business, reunions have lost their luster.

crowd is already annoying by booing the commentary guy. He does an OK job of trying to put over ECW and Joey Styles, but the crowd ain't having it.

one match, Al Snow vs. CW Anderson, was hyped by the ring announcer as a "wrestling purist's dream", so of course Al Snow starts off by arguing with the Head. And Anderson locks on an armbar for the better part of 5 minutes. the crowd is shitting all over this, and i don't even blame them. way too long and not interesting.

Axl and Balls had a halfhearted hardcore match. sure there was a cheesegrater, but at this point it is painfully obvious these guys are just going through the motions.

then there was a "tag team match", with Angel (of da Baldies) taking on the Gangstas. Except it was never explained why Angel didn't have a partner. And they brawled around for too long. And then two guys who i don't know and didn't pay attention to their names, hit the ring, attacked New Jack and Mustafa, and then everybody left. no finish. The crowd booed the hell out of this. 

Pitbull Gary Wolfe was supposed to wrestle Raven, but Raven brought out a bunch of jabronis (including "Cripple H"), who Pitbull beat up instead. Sandman also came out. there was a brawl. Pitbull pinned one of the nobodies and the crowd didn't take it well.

Jerry Lynn squared off with "Crowbar" Devon Storm in what was easily the best match of the night. crisp moves, good action, and the crowd was into it. kudos.

then the main event happened. This is the event where Sabu was found unresponsive in his hotel room, so obviously he's not wrestling. Shane is in the ring making the announcement/cutting a promo, but the crowd has fucking had it with this event. They are completely uninterested in anything Shane has to say (chants of "Refund" and "Fuck You Shane"). Out comes 2 Cold Scorpio, and the angle is "what if Scorpio had beaten Douglas back in '94 for the NWA World Title". they have a decent little match. Nothing great, but the crowd hates on the first half. We get two ref bumps, false finishes on either side (by now the crowd is into it and totally behind Scorp), and TWO! masked man interferences (one is Kevin Sullivan, the other is Tod Gordon). Then Shane wins with a belly-to-belly and the crowd is pissed. 

just a completely tone deaf show. i'm going to give Extreme Rising #2 a shot next week, but it better be a marked improvement or i'm cutting out.

Edited by twiztor
clarification

So I just finished watching '93 ECW and I think at least for the second half some respect is due.  The first half was still transitioning from what the company was previously called.  But once they had that partnership with FMW the cards were better and the attendance was worlds better.  By the time year ends the table's been properly set and is gonna lead into a super fun '94.

To also expand on Matty in da House I absolutely love him.  I thought I would find he's best in small doses but was pleasantly proven wrong.  I think what helps is while Joey was a great anchor to tell the stories Matty made it sound like he was truly a fan speaking to viewers.  It felt personal in a way and I loved it.  Same goes for when they talk about showing appreciating to the fans.  It feels real because it likely is real and it helped establish a deep loyalty even years later.  Shit, even when watching Tod Gordon add stuff to big shows because of the fans 28 years later I can feel that loyalty strengthen somehow.  But anyway, fun second half of the year that might be worth a revisit.

I also want to show love to Hunter Q Robbins III.  The guy was such a wonderful little shit that you wanted to see get his ass handed to him.  Whether it was the over-the-top accent or the ways he would antagonize others I kind of hate that he's been largely forgotten about.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

i watched the 2012 "Extreme Reunion" show put on by Shane Douglas yesterday. 

maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it, but ooof. not good. Every match went about 10 minutes too long, the crowd was horrible, the wrestlers seemed unmotivated, and of fucking course Shane put himself over in the main event.  I think it's safe to say that 10 years after ECW went out of business, reunions have lost their luster.

crowd is already annoying by booing the commentary guy. He does an OK job of trying to put over ECW and Joey Styles, but the crowd ain't having it.

one match, Al Snow vs. CW Anderson, was hyped by the ring announcer as a "wrestling purist's dream", so of course Al Snow starts off by arguing with the Head. And Anderson locks on an armbar for the better part of 5 minutes. the crowd is shitting all over this, and i don't even blame them. way too long and not interesting.

Axl and Balls had a halfhearted hardcore match. sure there was a cheesegrater, but at this point it is painfully obvious these guys are just going through the motions.

then there was a "tag team match", with Angel (of da Baldies) taking on the Gangstas. Except it was never explained why Angel didn't have a partner. And they brawled around for too long. And then two guys who i don't know and didn't pay attention to their names, hit the ring, attacked New Jack and Mustafa, and then everybody left. no finish. The crowd booed the hell out of this. 

Pitbull Gary Wolfe was supposed to wrestle Raven, but Raven brought out a bunch of jabronis (including "Cripple H"), who Pitbull beat up instead. Sandman also came out. there was a brawl. Pitbull pinned one of the nobodies and the crowd didn't take it well.

Jerry Lynn squared off with "Crowbar" Devon Storm in what was easily the best match of the night. crisp moves, good action, and the crowd was into it. kudos.

then the main event happened. This is the event where Sabu was found unresponsive in his hotel room, so obviously he's not wrestling. Shane is in the ring making the announcement/cutting a promo, but the crowd has fucking had it with this event. They are completely uninterested in anything Shane has to say (chants of "Refund" and "Fuck You Shane"). Out comes 2 Cold Scorpio, and the angle is "what if Scorpio had beaten Douglas back in '94 for the NWA World Title". they have a decent little match. Nothing great, but the crowd hates on the first half. We get two ref bumps, false finishes on either side (by now the crowd is into it and totally behind Scorp), and TWO! masked man interferences (one is Kevin Sullivan, the other is Tod Gordon). Then Shane wins with a belly-to-belly and the crowd is pissed. 

just a completely tone deaf show. i'm going to give Extreme Rising #2 a shot next week, but it better be a marked improvement or i'm cutting out.

I was at this card and your assessment is very much spot on. The freakin' bleachers in that place were torture as well. My big takeaway was Raven "gets it". He sussed out this shonda shitstorm and decided to take down the biz, Shane and the crowd all together at once. He gathered a group of sub-Stern Show freakish mark and presented them to us all, a funhouse mirror of our own stunted memories. PitbullGW gave the Philly audience what they wanted and used Cripple Haitch (one of the funniest work names ever), all palsied and be-crutched, as a foreign object, swinging him like a frail fleshy kendo stick. We all gasped, but CHHH was made of stuff as resilient as the guarantee turning a profit on Extreme Nostalgia. Brilliant. The later shows were both duller and more embarrassing. I still went.

- RAF