Dolfan in NYC

Note the SUNDAY date.  

The card so far: 

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Karrion Kross (c) vs. Samoa Joe

FOR THE NXT UK CHAMPIONSHIP - WALTER (C) vs. Ilja Dragunov

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Raquel Gonzalez (c) vs. Dakota Kai

FOR THE MILLION DOLLAR CHAMPIONSHIP** - LA Knight (c) vs. Cameron Grimes

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH*** - Adam Cole (bb) vs. Kyle O'Reilly

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP* - Isaiah "Swerve" Scott (c) vs. Santos Escobar

--

* - Probable

** - If Knight wins, Ted DiBiase will become his butler. 

*** - Fall 1, Normal Rules.  Fall 2, Street Fight.  Fall 3, if necessary, Steel Cage Match. 

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to NXT Takeover XXXVI - 8/22/2021

I wouldn't be surprised if Ilja and the rest of NXT UK are on the chopping block shortly after this show. Walter might be given the ulitmatum to come to the states or leave. The way WWE is headed, I'd rather just see Walter released to do whatever he wants. The best wrestler in the world doesn't deserve to be constrained to this shitty company.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

For as much as I want to see Walter v Ilja; I DO NOT want to sit through, what will probably be over an hour, of Cole v KOR.

I actually hope they make the 2/3 falls the main event so that I can turn it off.

Yeah, I'm in no mood for the Adam Cole match formula as seen in the Cole/Gargano trilogy, Ciampa and O'Reilly. This is coming from a big fan of two out of three falls matches and to a lesser extent, 3 Stages of Hell.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, L_W_P said:

For as much as I want to see Walter v Ilja; I DO NOT want to sit through, what will probably be over an hour, of Cole v KOR.

I actually hope they make the 2/3 falls the main event so that I can turn it off.

I'd still think Ilja v Walter will go before Cole v KOR, so there's a good chance you don't have to watch it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I'd still think Ilja v Walter will go before Cole v KOR, so there's a good chance you don't have to watch it.

Yeah, I'm thinking same. Wouldn't surprise me if Cole vs. O'Reilly goes on last even though there's an NXT Championship match on the card.

• 2 weeks later...

Save us, Samoa Joe becoming the new NXT Champion and permanently sending Karrion Kross to the main roster.

Really don't want WALTER to drop the WWE NXT UK Championship to Ilja Dragunov. I think he will and I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP* - Isaiah "Swerve" Scott (c) vs. Santos Escobar

Did they cancel this, or was it never announced.  I don't remember this match being made, but the two are feuding, so I may have forgotten.

My picks are Kross, Dragunov, Grimes, O'Reilly.

Feels like a lock Kross is dropping the NXT title and going to main roster, so I think there's a swerve.  Either Kross drops the title on one of the tv tapings or there's shennanigans and Joe runs Kross out of NXT but doesn't win the title and we have a tournament.  

No feeling about the women's title match.  If Kai wins, I'm betting Gonzalez gets called up.

KInda hope Cole is AEW bound.  Nothing against him or NXT, but it would out of Vince's playbook to promise Cole a callup and a push, then change his mind in October and leave Cole chillin' in catering.  I don't think a main roster push goes well for him.  He coulda done well on the main roster after they called him up to fill in for the guys stuck at SaudiMania.  But that was a couple of years ago,

You can definitely sense the transition in the air. Cole out, Walter I presume out (purely my speculation but I could see a “move to the US or else” edict), Kross probably out (I mean where would he go from here?). Joe makes sense as a guy you can trust while you deal with the shifting sands. 

Whatever era of NXT you call this, this is probably the end of it. 

• Like 1

Need to rewatch Grimes/Knight, but what I saw looked pretty good. Dug the finish with Dibiase getting the punch and Million Dollar Dream in.

Raquel/Dakota was so damn good. Loved Dakota knowing so much of Raquel's offense and frustrating her. That finish was pretty neat as well.

WALTER/Ilja was utterly amazing. I'm sad to see WALTER's reign end, but fuck was that the way to do it.

I didn't catch most of Cole/O'Reilly. The finish looked alright. In general though this feud going past their first match doesn't feel like it did anything for O'Reilly.

Joe/Kross was ok. Was great seeing the muscle Buster end things.

Edited by Eivion

Woke up in time for WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. What a match that was and what a record breaking reign for WALTER as WWE NXT United Kingdom Champion. That record will never be broken.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Wrestling as an art form is an illusion. The crowd is supposed to believe that the two competitors are destroying each other, when in reality they are working light as a feather. WALTER/Ilja was not this. That was two dudes beating the dog piss out of each other and I loved every second of it. 

• Like 5

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Incredible stuff, such a shame Ilya and Walter didn't have a crowd for the first banger

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

This was a nice palate cleanser after Summerslam.

Grimes/Knight was a great mid card match. Grimes has the ability to do comedy but still come off as an in-ring threat in the process. I just hope he doesn't get pigeonholed as a stooge and end up the next Elias or Sandow. Knight looks good and has plenty of charisma, but does nothing for me in-ring. That means he's probably the template for the new regime they're looking to start in NXT.

The women's match was a great size vs speed bout. Both Dakota and Raquel have a lot of upside. Raquel is good at actually working like a big wrestler.

I wasn't sure if Walter/Ilja would stand up to their previous contests but it delivered all that and then some. They beat the piss out of eachother and gave us an MOTYC.

Cole/KOR didn't interest me so I only halfassedly paid attention. This could easily have been half the length and just a steel cage match. While I have nothing against Cole he just does nothing for me.

Work was distracting me during most of the main event so I couldn't give it my full attention, but I enjoyed what I saw. Joe got to be Joe again and this was the most inspired I've seen Kross look. It's good to see Joe back on top and I have to wonder who comes at him next. KOR seems like the obvious choice as he came out on top of his feud.

• Like 2

Watching this on delay and I just finished the UK Championship match. Ilja earned the hell out of that title. I felt like he as a character would not have mentally come back if he lost. It was great storytelling and I was actually disappointed that the match had to end. Fantastic work from both men. 

The mat truly is sacred. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2