DVDVR Message Board

SUICIDE SQUAD (Gunn, 2021) - Spoiler Discussion

RIPPA

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I approve of Storm Reid's I Am An Adult Now role being one where she says the word fuck as many times as possible as opposed to a role that includes brief nudity and stripper poles.

I think I was telling Matt for a hyper violent movie with thousands of deaths, there was barely any nudity, if any, in the strip club.

50 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And as you might imagine, we are starting to see all the usual articles about the character creators getting a small pittance and a thank you credit. 

Gunn put the entire dramatic weight of some scenes squarely on the shoulders of Ratcatcher II and the Polka-Dot Man.  Who does that?

My mind was blown.

I now expect all future SS movies to have Best of the Worst teams with stupid DC villains like Ten-Eyes, Kite-Man, and Condiment King as members.

It may be the only chance you'll get to see Egg Fu on the silver screen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Last night I dreamt Harley Quinn speared the eyeball of a giant alien starfish using a javelin so a million rats could climb into its eyeball and kill it right after said giant alien starfish launched a walking talking shark man who sounded awfully like the guy from Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot into a building and squashed a polka dot looking dude who moments earlier had destroyed the giant alien starfish's arm (or leg...) with some killer shooty polka dot things after picturing it as a giant version of his own mother. 

It was the weirdest fucking dream.

I've never read a comic book in my life so I had no idea who any of the characters were (and it sounds like some of them were so obscure as fuck that even some comic readers didn't know them) apart from Harley Quinn and then Amanda Waller, Rick Flag and the Boomerang guy (and I only know those three from watching that shower of shite first film) but I loved this. I knew I'd love it from the opening scenes which Gunn knocked out of the fucking park. The Detachable Kid shit had me guffawing, WHAT THE FUCK indeed.

If Gunn does another one, he has to go full bonkers.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

The one puzzling thing is that Peacekeeper is such a piece of shit that I don't see myself wanting to watch a series about him doing Waller's wet work, but that doesn't have much to do with this movie. 

Gunn's answered the question a few times. In his mind, everyone else in the movie that was a main character had a complete arc and their backstory delved into sufficiently and Peacemaker is the one where there's still character stuff to mine.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it (although, maybe not as much as others in this thread). Was the Harley escaping scene Gunn's attempt at doing his version of the Winter Soldier elevator scene or the hallway stuff from Daredevil with a little extra stylish (CGI'd) oomph.?

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I watched this last night and enjoyed it (although, maybe not as much as others in this thread). Was the Harley escaping scene Gunn's attempt at doing his version of the Winter Soldier elevator scene or the hallway stuff from Daredevil with a little extra stylish (CGI'd) oomph.?

He has said Robbie did her own stunts in that scene where she unlocks her restraints.

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He has said Robbie did her own stunts in that scene where she unlocks her restraints.

Yeah, the CGI bit was more the stuff with the flowers, but once she grabs the javelin, you kind of have the side scrolling tracking shot as she gleefully runs through the room. Plus, I'm sure the her escaping bit has probably created quite a bit of fanfiction already. Robbie is one of those happy timing bits of casting where she has the perfect look for that character. 

It's odd how Margot Robbie-as-Harley Quinn has become this iconic actor, iconically cast in an iconic role, despite (up until now) only actually appearing in really bad films.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:35 PM, AxB said:

It's odd how Margot Robbie-as-Harley Quinn has become this iconic actor, iconically cast in an iconic role, despite (up until now) only actually appearing in really bad films.

Does everyone think Birds of Prey is bad?  i didn't love it but i thought most people thought it was fine.    

i watched this a second time over the weekend...    this movie has so. much. heart.  Damn.  when we get into the third act and shit gets serious i had no choice but to wear a serious face because Gunn and all the actors/actresses made us care about all of these crazy characters....  wow

On 8/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Apparently, James Gunn's original script for TSS had Polka Dot Man surviving, and Ratcatcher II being killed.  

My goodness did he make the right choice in changing that. 

I think my daughter would've smashed the television set if Ratcatcher II had died.  It was bad enough that Polka Dot Man died but at least it happened too suddenly for it to really register until after the rest of the SS killed Starro.

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think my daughter would've smashed the television set if Ratcatcher II had died.  It was bad enough that Polka Dot Man died but at least it happened too suddenly for it to really register until after the rest of the SS killed Starro.

It was also kind of a Bambi Meets Godzilla gag.

Finally caught this, have been so tied up with work

Goddamn lemme just get it outta the way I laughed way too hard at this movie across various set pieces and no exaggeration I almost blacked out a few times from laughing soooo hard I was outta breath

Weasels yell as he plummets from the plane and then he fucking hits TUMMY FIRST holy fuck!!!!! Laughed so ugly you thought i was crying ? Him drowning definitely didn't help seconds later ?

Stallone as King Shark, damn he fucking kills in his role. The whole secret costume/mustache scene about had me fall out my chair Kid Mero style and rolling around laughing while trying to catch my breath

I only really know Suicide Squad from the New 52 reboot I think it was? Ragdoll or some other contortionist is almost eaten by King shark if I remember correctly, that run..

So I had a good time with this, especially not recognizing most of the characters. Planning to rewatch around labor day weekend and just lose my shit again at all the funny stuff ?