DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

No one has mentioned it yet, I don't think...but that one front leg sweep that Malakai threw was freaking FIRE.

I kept thinking to myself that only me, Craig H, and the guys that haunt the MMA thread knew who the fuck Ernesto Hoost was.  This is why Excalibur is my hero.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I kept thinking to myself that only me, Craig H, and the guys that haunt the MMA thread knew who the fuck Ernesto Hoost was.  This is why Excalibur is my hero.

I watched enough Pride to gain an appreciation for Dutch MMA ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Paraphrasing from a recent interview:  Black said Vince liked him but couldn't figure out anything for him.  Black later went to Vince with a handful of ideas.  Vince stopped him and told him no, I'd rather try to figure out something for you.  We know how that ended.

Meanwhile, AEW makes him look like a star in 2-3 appearances.  Wrestling is not that hard. 

If the rumors of morale being low in WWE are true, they deserve it.  Squandering a world-class talent for 4+ years only to have the competition scoop him up and make him look like a megastar his first time out is unconscionable. 

Vince isn't selling wrestling. He's selling action figures and intellectual property.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I watched enough Pride to gain an appreciation for Dutch MMA ?

I was half expecting Excalibur to name drop Bas Rutten, but out came the Ernesto Hoost reference and I was blown away.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Did they? I checked yesterday afternoon and the site still listed 28 Jul as the most recent rankings. Do they drop right before Dynamite?

They are posted early enough to be in the WO daily update, which was posted yesterday at 4:26pm, but I'm not sure if thats eastern or pacific time.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was half expecting Excalibur to name drop Bas Rutten, but out came the Ernesto Hoost reference and I was blown away.

He also name-dropped Peter Aerts!  Excalibur is the best.

Speaking of...we've neglected to mention that AEW announced the Rampage commentary team as a FOUR man booth.  That's frightening.

• Like 2

A little thing I haven’t seen mentioned. Last Dynamite or on one of the Dark shows, they’d teased QT apologising to Tony for dumping the protein shake on him a couple weeks back. They must have decided against whatever they were gonna do, but Tony had a throwaway line about QT going back on it because of Tony’s tone. Now, I’d forgotten it was even teased and I couldn’t give a shit about seeing QT, but I still appreciate the attention to detail.

I thought the top rope stip for Jericho-Juvi would play off last week more, with it being about whether Jericho could actually hit a dive at all considering how beat up he was. They went with a escalation thing of what top rope move he could use as a finish instead. It was fine and lead to a nice finish, but felt a bit low stakes after last week. Echo some of the sentiments that I’d like to see a Wardlow win next week. Remember he still has beef with Hager though so that might play into the finish.

Despite getting a bit more time, the women’s division is still really weak and it doesn’t feel like they’re making much progress on fixing the issues. Red Velvet didn’t come across likeable at all and she feels like (and was treat like) a complete non-challenge. As has been said, they haven’t got enough strong contenders to be running the NWA thing as well. Let more of the women have actual feuds and develop some characters rather than just throwing out random matches. Not everyone will progress and get over like Baker, but she shows what can happen when you give someone time to actually develop a character.

This feel quite negative so just to clarify, I liked this show and this recent Dynamite run is the most I’ve enjoyed weekly wrestling in years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kev said:

A little thing I haven’t seen mentioned. Last Dynamite or on one of the Dark shows, they’d teased QT apologising to Tony for dumping the protein shake on him a couple weeks back. They must have decided against whatever they were gonna do, but Tony had a throwaway line about QT going back on it because of Tony’s tone. Now, I’d forgotten it was even teased and I couldn’t give a shit about seeing QT, but I still appreciate the attention to detail.

Either Paul Wight isn’t ready, or whatever they are planning is dead.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I really, really, really hope they don't actually pull Excalibur off of Dynamite. It sounded like he would be working Rampage instead of Dynamite from here on out. Meltzer and Alvarez felt the same when listening to Excalibur last night. Those little references bring such a huge smile to my face.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Either Paul Wight isn’t ready, or whatever they are planning is dead.

Big Show recently did an interview saying that he was trying to get back into shape. Man, keeping weight off is fucking hard. For that short little bit in WWE he looked amazing and had abs. It was crazy. I feel for the guy. It can't be easy especially when you're already as big as him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

tqAXJHu.gif

Malakai Black: confirmed draw! Really impressed with that number. Great for them. Let's keep it going, bb!

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Big Show recently did an interview saying that he was trying to get back into shape. Man, keeping weight off is fucking hard. For that short little bit in WWE he looked amazing and had abs. It was crazy. I feel for the guy. It can't be easy especially when you're already as big as him.

I can only imagine what his joints feel like, especially in the morning. Real tough. 

Are they really gonna give us a JR/Tony booth on Dynamite? That would be tragic. Tony is great at his limited role, don't get me wrong! Excalibur feels like the only one connecting storyline dots and is aware of what wrestling is in the 21st century. He's not flawless by any means, but he's the most important member of the trio mechanically. 

• Like 2

Just now, Krone Meltzer said:

Daniel Garcia vs. Darby Allin announced for Dynamite next week. Can't wait to see more of Garcia, he seemed pretty explosive and looked to "maximize his minutes" last night.

Imagine kids like Daniel getting a shot on WWE tv. Whether Garcia gets signed or not, this featured live tv time is going to be invaluable for his career growth moving forward. And for his indy bookings and rate.

• Like 3

Just now, Infinit said:

Imagine kids like Daniel getting a shot on WWE tv. Whether Garcia gets signed or not, this featured live tv time is going to be invaluable for his career growth moving forward. And for his indy bookings and rate.

That's one thing that I love about AEW is they legit let anyone get a shot. There's a guy from my town up here who's been wrestling on the indy's for about ten plus years now and HE got a match on Dark next week. And while that may just be a Dark match, the amount of people who are at least getting a shot on their programming is incredible. Much to your point of guys like Daniel Garcia, Wheeler Yuta, Nick Gage, and then throw in the open challenge from last year with Warhorse and Kingston/Starks who got jobs from it, a lot of people are getting national TV exposure who otherwise wouldn't. Even someone like Kamille from the NWA.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

tqAXJHu.gif

Great choice of gif as usual. Could also have gone with ‘I am the one who knocks!’ with Malakai Black’s face over White’s, given the godawful WWE angle.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Malakai Black: confirmed draw! Really impressed with that number. Great for them. Let's keep it going, bb!

I can only imagine what his joints feel like, especially in the morning. Real tough. 

Are they really gonna give us a JR/Tony booth on Dynamite? That would be tragic. Tony is great at his limited role, don't get me wrong! Excalibur feels like the only one connecting storyline dots and is aware of what wrestling is in the 21st century. He's not flawless by any means, but he's the most important member of the trio mechanically. 

It’d be pretty weird for them to have a 4 man booth for Rampage to go to a 2 man booth for Dynamite.

And IMO, if they’re going continue to have Young Buck style matches where wrestlers completely disregard the rules to do tons of spots, they’d need to bring in someone to carry those portions.

Maybe they could get the ROH play by play guy. Don’t watch a lot of ROH but I always thought he was good when I have.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

There's no way it's gonna be JR and Tony for 2 hours, especially with Tony having interview duty too. Maybe Paul Wight joins the Dynamite team?

I would bet money that Renee Paquette joins the Dynamite booth.

Edited by punkenhead
Forgot comment like a dumbass.
  • Like 1