DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Negative.

MIX CD FOR MY FAVE BROS (I Am So Sorry)

SIDE A 1. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 2. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 3. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 4. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 5. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves

SIDE B 6. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 7. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 8. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 9. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves 10. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

No wonder he was always so flat in WWE. They tried to turn the Satan worshipping occultist into a babyface! 

Yeah, there is a market for that, but by no means is that market (nor will it ever be) in large numbers among the current WWE audience. Among the early 90's Norwegian black metal crowd, maybe, but not WWE main show viewers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, there is a market for that, but by no means is that market (nor will it ever be) in large numbers among the current WWE audience. Among the early 90's Norwegian black metal crowd, maybe, but not WWE main show viewers.

But then it's not that dissimilar to gimmicks like Taker or the early Brood.  Just a more modern take.  I don't watch WWE, but to me the only audience this no brainer superstar could possibly miss is the audience of the chairman.  I would also suggest the crowd eager for Malakai Tommy End Black is much larger than the crowd with a taste for Norwegian Black Metal.  Certainly that crowd has expanded since the late 80s/early 90s, but the crowd losing their shit every week for him is wrestling fans not a specific style of Metal fan.  I would kinda assume, tho maybe wrong, that a large number of Black Metal enthusiasts are not necessarily fans of boot and underpant clad men taking to a squared circle.  Tho, I'm a fan of the legendary Darkthrone and enjoy my Wednesday nights, so maybe you're right. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

AEW rankings in WWE form from reddit got a nice chuckle out of me. Look at those records~!

r/SquaredCircle - SmackDown Women's division rankings in AEW style

Somewhere in the World, there's an AEW fan who lives in a Country where they aren't on TV, and they can't afford an AEW+ Fite sub. Meaning they only watch YouTube content. And they can't understand why the Gunn Club aren't tag champs right now.

Danhausen is doing a Satanic Babyface gimmick pretty well.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Danhausen is doing a Satanic Babyface gimmick pretty well.

But that’s like Beetlejuice levels of demonic character. You can’t make that dude a straight villain if you tried. Malakai Black is more like the Devil from Legend.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

But then it's not that dissimilar to gimmicks like Taker or the early Brood.  Just a more modern take.  I don't watch WWE, but to me the only audience this no brainer superstar could possibly miss is the audience of the chairman.  I would also suggest the crowd eager for Malakai Tommy End Black is much larger than the crowd with a taste for Norwegian Black Metal.  Certainly that crowd has expanded since the late 80s/early 90s, but the crowd losing their shit every week for him is wrestling fans not a specific style of Metal fan.  I would kinda assume, tho maybe wrong, that a large number of Black Metal enthusiasts are not necessarily fans of boot and underpant clad men taking to a squared circle.  Tho, I'm a fan of the legendary Darkthrone and enjoy my Wednesday nights, so maybe you're right. 

Undertaker during the Ministry of Darkness era was at least trying to be a heel. The Brood were aimed towards vampire/goth crowd but were massively over amongst majority of fans. I tend to think Black being over has to do with much more than him being portrayed as a face as "Satan worshipping occultist". I don't think WWE could have point blank used those words and still have him portrayed as a good guy. Well, he claimed to be not truly good nor evil, while babyface, but his character was not exactly clearly defined at the time.

I think Black Metal fans  do absolutely somewhat overlap with wrestling fans, but I would assume that in Tommy End's case, the "outsider" image (and the fact that the man behind the character has been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety) makes him more relatable than the "occult iconography" ever would. Maybe to the people who aren't really into that sort of thing, he still had a cool entrance and finisher and that was enough for them to get behind him as much as they ever ended up doing in the main roster WWE.

I guess the whole point of the previous post was that "if you put it like that" , then I wouldn't think there's a huge crowd who would openly claim that "I think Satan worshipping occultists are the heroes we should all cheer for!" I mean think of the situations that it could lead to with the Make a Wish children, for instance!

• Like 1

I don't think the character is very 'black metal', which mostly involves not liking or being around other people at all so doesn't necessarily translate to wrestling ? I think Dexter Lumis is probably more black metal, because he is a big silent edgelord looking dude. Then again I'm not in contact with that scene really anymore and I'm sure it's splintered off -- Nazi misanthropes, then post-rock kids, then war metal types, then old school metalheads, etc. 

It would be cool to have some big buff 'war metal' types with camo and nail gauntlets and twenty bullet belts come to the ring and press slam guys. A wrestling version of Blasphemy, bring it on! 

• Like 2

I knew Black was good worker in WWE. I knew he was good in NXT. But I think what his character was missing on the main roster, when he cut those promos, he cut those really canned unnatural promos and there was this endless cognitive dissonance between Black's promos, his look, mannerisms, etc. Everything was out of sync. Nothing was aligned. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I think Black Metal fans  do absolutely somewhat overlap with wrestling fans, 

Funny you mention this Emperor, Mayhem, Satyricon  where all supposed to be playing vegas same weekend as Summerslam (all pulled out due to covid) I'm certainly seeing overlap in fandoms on my facebook groups

3 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'm wondering who would be good fits for a house of Black right now.

I think Tommy mentoring Abadon behind the scenes on her character would be a great idea, so I say stick her with him. Heidi Howitzer or Lindsay Snow would be great, if they wanted a bigger, more "jacked" female.

As for male members of the group... I've got no idea. Lookwise, there aren't a lot of people that fit that mold. I guess every group needs people to take falls and whatnot, and Ryzin would fit in just fine, but he does lean comedic more than menacing/evil. I'd stay away from Dr. Luther, he's just too goofy for something like this.

But - I never thought Peter Avalon would fit in with a group like the Wingmen, so maybe there are some people out there/on the roster that can make a transformation, character and look, and fit right in nicely.