DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is there a wrestling term for when a dude makes his dangerous looking move much safer after a few weeks?

Attitude Adjustment?

Miro put on a clinic on how to sell that your opponent might be a threat, but still look like a monster. 

• Like 6

Going into this show.  I was somewhat concerned for this episode getting to play out on its own merits with all the buzz surrounding the company.  I figured there’d be Punk or Bryan chants enough to distract from the show.

Apparently… not an issue.  Lol 

Happy to be wrong about it too.  

As a big fan of Black.  Seeing him get put over so strong like that gives me some hope.  I really liked his stuff in NXT.  Super glad geeked that he is off to a running start.

The rest of the show was ok to good.  But that judgement is in part a side effect of downshifting the pace to get some other work done.  The one negative being Christian being good.  Just not quite strong enough to contend for the title at a ppv.

4 minutes ago, Log said:

Attitude adjustment 

My thoughts went right to Cena’s first FU on Rikishi being the most Death Valley of Drivers before it became the flat back bump we all know and … accept?

• Like 1

Miro vs. Lee Johnson match was so fucking great.  The "Look how far he's come!" commentary from Excalibur, Miro selling but refusing to go down, Lee's "I'm running out of ideas" facial expressions.  Little things made that shit great.

The Juicy Labor of Jericho was also fucking awesome.  I am impressed by the commitment to protect the Judas Effect finisher.  I was kinda bummed by the Wardlow announcement.  Certainly Lance Storm has nothing to do next week, right?  I will jinx it by saying this, but I have been impressed that MJF hasn't called for any handicap matches yet.

Elite vs. Hangman was high drama.  Uno and Stu honoring Page's request not to interfere was a nice touch.  Sometimes a man must walk his own path alone and handle his business.

Leyla Hirsch vs. Bunny was pretty good because Bunny.   Kamille vs. Serena Deeb for the NWA Ladies title was good because Serena Deeb..   

Leyla Hirsch vs Kamille on paper??   Well.... uh.....

I normally cannot stand Cody's self promotion, but dammit, he is more than willing to put his hide on the line to sell the next big thing.  Black looked tremendous and Cody pulling a page out of the WTF UFC? book and conducting a rambling interview while concussed (albeit a work) to sell the Texas dog whoppin' he just took was king sized. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

I love the photo Natural posted with Black sat cross-legged in the ring, with the graininess, the skull and the texture of his kickpads/kneepads he looks right out of Dark Souls or something. (That's a thought: is Black the best possible version of a 'Johnny Kickpads', that all the other Johnnies wish they were, in terms of his in-ring work outside of the theatrics?)

Anyway the match was fantastic, they did everything to elevate their debuting star and it's so good to see such diverse styles being presented on a big stage, in this match and the wider show (I think I'll pass on the 'Old Man Lucha' next time though, beautiful super Judas Effect notwithstanding). No wasted motion and crowd biting on everything. And Black gets to deflate the puffed-up blowhard mid-reminiscence again? Give that man a medal.

Miro tiptoed the line again perfectly from the invincible wall of meat to the wounded monster to the forgiving redeemer at the end. The yellow sign about God sparing Lee Johnson and thanks be to Miro's double-jointed wife was a riot too.

Hirsch got to shine, but between Camille and Nyla and Stadlander there was a whole lot of other shit going on.

And the crowd continues to go mild for Christian's inexorable march towards his Championship match.

For a filler, there was plenty of killer.

I doubt it's a 4-man booth for Rampage, hopefully one of them are predominantly doing Tony's out of ring role (Mark Henry maybe?)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

E7_bX-TXMAYxffz?format=jpg&name=large

Cool visual with the silhouette and back light.

Not an A24 movie, but I was thinking more the Jotunn from The Ritual.

the-ritual4.jpg

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

That quick screengrab of the turnbuckle pulling Wheeler's skin from his arm was far more disgusting than anything we saw in Jericho/Gage.  I gasped when I saw that.

Harwood's MAH BEST FRIEND ALMOST DIED promos are a bit much.

LOOOOOL at Cody's Tiny Tim crutch. 

For a little while I was like, "Jesus Christ, Black squashed this dude and left and Cody's now getting all the spotlight back.  Shouldn't Black run back out and fuck him up???"  And then he did.  Perfect.

MJF says he'll be at ringside.  JR goes on and on about MJF being the special referee (??????).  Later, it's announced MJF will be at ringside. 

God damn, when did The Bunny get pretty decent in the ring?

LOVED Darby's tope onto the Chris Penn looking member of 2.0 who was marking out for Sting.

Black is fucking legit, from presentation to in-ring and everywhere in between.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Custos said:

Great shout., a very Midsommar vibe. Let's leave out the forced-insemination-naked-druid-spectator-sport piece of it though.

So many places in Sweden are exactly like that, though! Naah, I'm just kidding! Only one or two places!

• Haha 4

Just now, Shartnado said:

So many places in Sweden are exactly like that, though! Naah, I'm just kidding! Only one or two places!

I visited Sävsjö down south for work one time so got out into the sticks a bit. Alas, no orgies or cults in sight.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That quick screengrab of the turnbuckle pulling Wheeler's skin from his arm was far more disgusting than anything we saw in Jericho/Gage.  I gasped when I saw that.

That was so goddamn gross ???

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Harwood's MAH BEST FRIEND ALMOST DIED promos are a bit much.

NSFW:

Jesus, that's nasty. Worse than I originally thought last week.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That would be some tasty bullshit. But there's no reason to put Punk in Archer's path, and there's a few reasons not to make people think about MMA while Punk is mulling about. 

I can think of a reason to put Punk in Archer's path: Punk should win his first match back, but I don't think they should put Punk over Allin.

In other news, they declared Christian the new #1 contender after his win, but the new ratings are up and Jungle Boy is #1. Were they just pranking Christian with that announcement?

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I can think of a reason to put Punk in Archer's path: Punk should win his first match back, but I don't think they should put Punk over Allin.

That would actually be a pretty good way to go...but I don't think NJPW would want their US champ to drop a fall so quickly.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Darby Allin's new Tron video has me thinking AEW Games is working on a Paperboy remake.

Youtube comments were flooded with requests for it to be either that or some kind of endless runner thing.  All I know is I really loved it.  They really have something with him and with kids doing the facepaint having some type of small game for him feels like the very right call to make.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

In other news, they declared Christian the new #1 contender after his win, but the new ratings are up and Jungle Boy is #1. Were they just pranking Christian with that announcement?

Ratings came out before the ahow. Christian's win lifted him above Jack Jungle Perry Boy, somehow. Maybe JB loses a match in YouTube land early next week.