DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

That was a weird speech by Cody at the end... And that crutch was comically small... Like it was Leyla Hirsch's.

Christian had my favorite match tonight. For me he's better now than he ever was... And it made me think that Nick Aldi's is a poor man's Christian. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

If Cody beats Black after filming his show, do we still feel the same way? 

Fuck no. Black should beat his ass into the dirt every day of the week and twice on Sunday. This can't be another situation where Cody does the Superman return to vanquish the big bad guy. Black needs to bury him.

• Like 1

The great thing about Dynamite, is that even in a semi holding pattern week like this, it's still a really fun show that builds to the future. Malakai Black is now a top-flight star after one match in AEW, and already belongs among the main event players. They planted the first seed of the possible Dark Order split, likely when Hangman is champion (Evil Uno/Stu on one side, Silver and Reynolds the other). Also, you've built towards both the short-term title match (most likely Christian, good chance that it's at debut episode of Rampage) along with continuing to build towards the longer one with Hangman (and despite what Meltzer said, that still looks to be the title match at All Out based on this week's build). You keep the build to Jericho-MJF at All Out, and have given Jericho a new death finisher. The second half of that match was really fun after an admittedly rough start where they both looked slow and out of sync. Totally agree with Mox/Eddie/Darby as a fun trios unit, and it's a good shout for them as potential trios champions (though you could make a good case for a bunch of teams). And man, Miro is a ton of fun as a TNT champ with this modern day face/heel hybrid character (accepting that he's getting cheered, but still that he's a bit of a dick).

• Like 4

Black looked fucking awesome. This is how he should have been booked on the main roster and whatever stupid shit they had him doing. Gear looked awesome, music fucking rocked, and everything he did looked good.

I have to kinda laugh at anyone who thinks Cody would retire right now, right as and right before AEW starts doing its biggest business ever. Dude is a wrestler through and through.

I think I liked damn near everything on this show. I was a little worried about Juvi vs Jericho because man the first few minutes were fucking rough, but they pulled through and put on a nice little match.

Jericho should lose to Wardlow. I think that will stun the shit out of that Pittsburgh crowd. Err, actually, isn't Wardlow from around that area? That would be one hell of a way to put him over.

For the love of god, give us a trios title.

• Like 2

I was cringing at the first couple of minutes of Juvi/Jericho, but then they gelled into a nice match. As others have mentioned, top rope Judas Effect looked really good. No way Leyla Hirsch goes over Kamille, but that will be a fun match. I don't understand the AEW Women's Division. Just give them their own weekly YouTube show so they can get some visibility and reps, then have a big match on Dynamite or PPV. Eddie Kingston is as much a fan as he is a competitor. Seeing him mark out for David Crockett and Sting this week was beautiful (as was him showing love to Nolan Huber on his way to the ring). Black looked awesome in the main. I complain about a lot of Cody in-ring stuff, but there is no denying that he puts people over hard when called upon (Black, Darby, Brodie). Miro is awesome at every aspect of pro wrestling. He made me believe Big Shotty might have a chance...that is saying something. 

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jericho should lose to Wardlow. I think that will stun the shit out of that Pittsburgh crowd. Err, actually, isn't Wardlow from around that area? That would be one hell of a way to put him over.

Amen brother.

It’d be a good way to put over Wardlow, but it would effectively end the MJF/Jericho storyline since there won’t be a blowoff match for those two. And say what you will about wrestling stipulations and stuff, but AEW have stuck to their guns on most (all?) of the ones they’ve imposed on themselves - so if they do a contract angle where Jericho agrees to the Labours, and then loses… no MJF match in AEW’s world.

As for the All Out main event - isn’t the current rumor that Hangman won’t be there because his wife might be giving birth around then?

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I know Dan Lambert isn't bringing in CM Punk next week....but what if Dan Lambert brought in CM Punk next week??

That would be some tasty bullshit. But there's no reason to put Punk in Archer's path, and there's a few reasons not to make people think about MMA while Punk is mulling about. 

• Like 2

Oh shit, Black came out to the new AmenRa!! That alone made me pop bigger than anything he's done before in his career. Awesome. Cool that they put him over so strong in his debut but his entrance continues to be the best thing about him. Cody teasing a retirement we know wasn't coming was an odd choice, did anyone buy that a second?

Jericho vs Juvy was alright when they were just wailing on each other, but all the flying and lucha stuff was fugly. Not sure if Juvy is a full-time active wrestler these days but they looked like they weren't on the same page with a lot of stuff. Finish looked good at least and Jericho does look like an old, tired, beat up guy right now, which is fitting for the story.

Trios was fun. I really hope they learn from other promotions that trios titles are utterly pointless, but I'd absolutely be down for a one-off tourney at least. Darby, Moxley & Kingston is a dream team.

Frankie Kazarian being your Babyface Making The Big Save in 2021 is..... a choice

Decent show

• Like 2

If say The Good Brothers decide to hightail it, 2.0 would be nice replacements. 

Also let me give some praise to Daniel Garcia. He looked really great in there as Darby’s opposite last night. I just don’t know how all three would fit on the roster. Maybe a Best Friends feud. But that’s complicated. 2.0 always feels more like what they did last night. Loud mouth JTTS’s, and nothing more. It’s not that they are bad, it’s just that they are so great at what they do.

Why not have Wheeler turn on the BF’s when Trent? comes back, and he can join all three to become the Bizarro Best Friends? Statlander could end up getting caught between the two groups apathy and admiration.

Edit: Oh wow, what if 2.0 brought back Jeff Farmer Sting?

sddefault.jpg

I think this could work.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

What has happened to the paradigm shift? It seems to have just become a throw nowadays. It doesn't look particularly hurty or impactful anymore. 

Cutler continues to rule as my favourite stooge, cutting across Kenny to tell everyone he cheats now and likes it, looking for any opportunity to spray Hangman or Kazarian with the cold spray, good stuff. 

Not a fan of another series of overly serious FTR/Santana & Ortiz promos. Please don't talk about your mothers or kids again. Just wrestle with hatred. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

What has happened to the paradigm shift? It seems to have just become a throw nowadays. It doesn't look particularly hurty or impactful anymore. 

Is there a wrestling term for when a dude makes his dangerous looking move much safer after a few weeks?

• Like 1