DVDVR Message Board

UFC 265: Lewis vs. Gané (08/07/2021) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

"His leg is beat to shit." lol

Over. What a fighter. Technique, physicality, calm mentality, smart, great control of range, defensive wrestling is pretty good from what we've seen. Does he have a flaw? With his back on the ground, maybe?

Edited by Jiji

Just now, Jiji said:

I know Ngannou is the obvious and mandatory next fight but holy shit I would love to see Gane vs. Jones.

Who? Is he a fighter with the UFC? 

I know Derrick's camp probably thought Gane was a lesser matchup than Ngannou, but as far as style matchups go, he would have had more a puncher's chance against Ngannou than Gane. This was a terrible style matchup for him on paper and then in actuality. 2 significant strikes landed in two rounds is sub Klitschko-Ibragimov. You can accidently land more than 2 strikes in ONE round.

Booking this fight was beyond stupid. Now we're stuck with Gane as interim champion, and the legit champion is in the midst of a dispute with UFC. And UFC failed to deliver the both Ngannou vs. Jones and Lewis vs. Ngannou; which is the fight they tried to hype up in lieu of Ngannou vs. Jones. An utter shit show.

This is yet another Dana White instance of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Now we're stuck with Gane as interim champion

I wouldn't say stuck considering that Gane is probably no worse than 2 or 3 in the world in his division. Should he be interim champ? No, but he's the legit number 1 contender. He would have been that had Ngannou fought Jon or Derrick anyway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This is yet another Dana White instance of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

He really doesn't care. He's too busy showing off his hotel floor on social media. Whatever prestige damage the fight and title took doesn't matter to him or the UFC because their priority is to keep fighter pay as low as possible and they're set on income with the mega ESPN deal.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

How many times must I say it?  Bad things happen when you do not check leg kicks. 

Grats to the new champion.  I am looking forward to the unification fight that Francis should not have to fight since he shouldn't have been stripped.

As much as I would like to see Gane vs Jones first, Jon's offputting eccentricities just make me wish he'd stay away forever.  I could see him winning a dominant performance only to test positive for PEDs hours later or pull a Rush St. Pierre and vacate the title during the interview.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Fight was rigged. Gane was eye poking all fight and the finish was like 10 punches to the back of the head

typical Dana jobbing dudes in their hometown

Good to know that it isn't just the Sports folders that you're terrible in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1