DVDVR Message Board

UFC 265: Lewis vs. Gané (08/07/2021) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like Fiziev vs. Green has the makings of a Fight of the Year candidate.

I am hoping the same for Aldo/Munhoz too. It's a really good card despite the main event being weak-ish. 

• Like 1

How many times must I say it?  Bad things happen when you do not check leg kicks.  Johns chopped away at the lead leg of Dos Santos, forcing him to switch stances.  Dude was immobile and open to body shots.  I was impressed with John's patience.  He didn't rush in and made Dos Santos chase him on that bum leg before going in for the kill.

Good win and high fight IQ on display.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Oh my gaaaawd, that was awesome! Close fight up until the knee. Don't have a problem with the stoppage because dude was vulnerable and Kape was not going to stop throwing.

Edit: missed that Johns knockout. Holy shit, what a beautiful body-head knockout combination. Don't see that enough in MMA.

Edited by Jiji

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Oh my gaaaawd, that was awesome! Close fight up until the knee. Don't have a problem with the stoppage because dude was vulnerable and Kape was not going to stop throwing.

Edit: missed that Johns knockout. Holy shit, what a beautiful body-head knockout combination. Don't see that enough in MMA.

Still one of the most epic ones I remember watching is Yuriorkis Gamboa absolutely melting Al Seeger on Friday Night Fights several years back. 

• Like 1

Jesus fuck.  Penne was committed to that armbar.  Vicious sub..  That's the kind of victory you want after squeaking by on the winning end of a split decision.

Edited by J.T.

Herman's skull is made out of concrete and he takes a haymaker to land a short shot. I worry for his health but it's amazing to watch.

Edit: now with the leg kick damage and limited movement, he looks like redhead lil Stipe Miocic, lol.

Edited by Jiji

Just now, Jiji said:

Herman's skull is made out of concrete and he takes a haymaker to land a short shot. I worry for his health but it's amazing to watch.

Not checking leg kicks is becoming a theme tonight.   Herman's lead leg is trash.  This will be an interesting third round.

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Credit to Menifield for pacing himself and improving his stamina. Dangerous fighter now.

Not the finish the crowd wanted to see, but you'd have to think that Menifield still felt even with a bum leg, Herman was going to be a bitch to finish off.  Otherwise I believe that Menifeld would've closed in for the kill.  He also might have thought that Herman still had enough to get a freak KO if Manifeld got careless.   Menifeld made the fight call and forced Herman to hobble after him to chase exchanges.

Excellent decision making from a maturing fighter.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Green/Fiziev was everything it was speculated it could be. very fun fight!

edit: who scored it 30-27 for Fiziev? i had him winning a 29-28 decision, but in no way did he win that last round. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

I missed most of the third but how do you give that to Fiziev? 

Fantastic fight. Two top Tier guys throwing it down for three rounds. Five round fight and Green wins by the looks of it. 

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I missed most of the third but how do you give that to Fiziev? 

Fantastic fight. Two top Tier guys throwing it down for three rounds. Five round fight and Green wins by the looks of it. 

And that's the thing: Bobby Green as fighter would probably be best suited in five rounders but has never fought in one in the UFC since he's at a certain level. That's the cruelty of the sport right there. When they went to 5 rounds for non title main event fights several years back, you would have expected it to benefit folks like him. 

• Like 1