DVDVR Message Board

WHAT IF...? (SPOILER TALK)

On 3/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, The Natural said:

Still need to catch up on this. Only seen the first two episodes. Which were the standouts?

Finally started watching this again.

Episode 3 sees some of the original Avengers taken out by an unknown assassin, I liked seeing who the culprit was, Hank Pym in Yellowjacket guise. WTF with Agent Coulson sniffing Thor's corpse?

Episode 4 is about Stephen Strange wanting to bring back Christine Palmer. This was a great episode about grief, what lengths would you go to bring someone back. The ending was a standout as Strange Supreme begs the Watcher for help but refused to leaving him alone with regrets in a dead universe. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Sadness.

Episode 5. Zombies! Zombies are my favourite horror movies baddies so Marvel meets zombies ticked my boxes. Really enjoyed this one. One of the darkest MCU things ever done even with the age certificate. Characters eaten alive, a decapitation and the Vision committing suicide. I do wish Peter Parker/Spider-Man was voiced by Josh Keaton from The Spectacular Spider-Man. I love TSSM. Missed opportunity considering Keaton voices Captain America in this show.

Episode 6 sees Killmonger rescue Tony Stark and in doing so manipulates events including war for his own benefits. Found this one flat and it has an abrupt ending. I'd have this at the bottom of the pile.

Episode 7 features Thor as an only child and what he gets up to bringing the party to Midgard. Party Thor! If I had to describe this episode in one word, fun. Such a fun and funny episode with the party prince, Darcy marrying Howard the Duck and the Thor vs. Captain Marvel fight. I laughed out loud frequently and nearly spat my drink out.

So five episodes are hits with just the two misses.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, The Natural said:

Still need to catch up on this. Only seen the first two episodes. Which were the standouts?

On 4/2/2022 at 11:47 PM, twiztor said:

watched this over the last week or so. Lots of fun stuff. i've always been into the whole alternate reality thing, so a show like this (and the comics beforehand) are right up my alley. 

i didn't think there was a bad episode in the whole bunch. 

#7 What If... Thor Were an Only Child?
for being a totally different tone. fun party vibe.

#4 What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?"
for being a totally different tone. dark and descending.

Great shouts bud!

• Thanks 1

Finished up the last two episodes of What...If?

Episode 8: Very good episode. Ultron discovers the Watcher and the Multiverse, more places to conquer as he already has his world. Ultron is much more of a threat here than in Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

Episode 9: Really good finale seeing characters from previous episodes return like Captain Carter, Strange Supreme and Star Lord T'Challa by the Watcher to defeat Ultron. The Guardians of the Multiverse. Lake Bell does a spot on ScarJo in this series. I think Captain Carter and Strange Supreme will appear in next month's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and I'm all for it.

My top five episodes:

5. What If...Captain Carter Were the First Avenger? (Ep1).

4. What If...Zombies?! (Ep5).

3. What If...T'Challa Became a Star Lord? (Ep2).

2. What If...Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands. (Ep4).

1. What If...Thor Were an Only Child? (Ep7). Such fun.

Out of 9 episodes,  7 as hits and just the 2 misses.

Time to read the rest of the topic!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Ranking the complete Disney+ Marvel shows:

5. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

4. Hawkeye.

3. What...If?

2. WandaVision.

1. Loki.

Tough choice between TFATWS/Hawkeye for bottom of the table and Loki/WandaVision for the top spot. As it stands, Moon Knight would probably be #4.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 12:07 AM, The Natural said:

Ranking the complete Disney+ Marvel shows:

5. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

4. Hawkeye.

3. What...If?

2. WandaVision.

1. Loki.

Tough choice between TFATWS/Hawkeye for bottom of the table and Loki/WandaVision for the top spot. As it stands, Moon Knight would probably be #4.

I would have a similar list, but I'd probably have Ms Marvel in the #3 spot and Moon Knight needed more Moon Knight and less shying away from the ass-kicking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...