DVDVR Message Board

WHAT IF...? (SPOILER TALK)

On 9/29/2021 at 4:03 AM, Casey said:

It's the same situation as Thor throwing Stormbreaker at him in Infinity War: because he caught Thanos off guard and didn't have time to use the other five stones (six in IW)?

Yeah, it seemed like he just completely caught him off-guard.

I just finished watching it a bit ago, and I liked it a good bit at first glance.  I’m also pretty tired so I haven’t put much thought into any potential plot holes. My favorite part was Ultron’s reality warping punches to go with the Monitor vibe the Watcher was giving off.

I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone that might have glanced in the Marvel TV thread. My bad!

Anyway...

Killmonger in a hybrid Black Panther/Ultron suit was badass.

All I really have to say is that I'm pretty sure two episodes were cut or moved to Season 2 or something - Stark goes to Sakaar and Gamora killing Thanos. Everyone else had been introduced, but that scene of them melting the Infinity Gauntlet was so out of place because it's the first time you see Sakaar Hulkbuster armor and Gamora in Thanos' 2014 armor.

I take it the mid-credits scene implies that the Watcher changed Captain Carter's timeline and inserted the HYDRA Stomper with Steve inside, since he dropped Natasha into a world where their Black Widow died.

I'm excited to see some of these characters (supposedly) appearing in Multiverse of Madness next year.

• Like 1

Yeah it really felt like there were episodes missing, otherwise this was one episode that felt very close to the Marvel third act formula. Would have loved more character work especially T’Challa and Kilmonger meeting but they had one bit of dialogue. 

I thought for sure the mid credits scene was going to reveal a winter soldier version of Steve, but a happy ending is nice too. 

if Strange supreme is in Multiverse of Madness I wonder if we’ll get to see the Zola/Kilmonger prison

overall a really fun season with more hits than misses

Edited by ErinQuinn
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the finale quite a bit. It was cool seeing everything come together. Dug the character bits with Peggy and Natasha. Was weird not getting an episode for Gamora, but I also kind of like seeing someone with a slight unknown factor. It will be interesting to see if any of the characters pop up again.

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

The entire family just finished bingeing this over the last few days. Much happier that we did it that way as with smaller length episodes waiting a week for each one would have been a little disappointing.

Reading the thread - I am glad we weren't the only ones wondering if we had missed an episode or something as we were like "Wait - where the fuck was this Gamora universe before now?"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

watched this over the last week or so. Lots of fun stuff. i've always been into the whole alternate reality thing, so a show like this (and the comics beforehand) are right up my alley. 

i didn't think there was a bad episode in the whole bunch. 

On 3/19/2022 at 12:37 AM, The Natural said:

Still need to catch up on this. Only seen the first two episodes. Which were the standouts?

#7 What If... Thor Were an Only Child?
for being a totally different tone. fun party vibe.

#4 What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?"
for being a totally different tone. dark and descending.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

watched this over the last week or so. Lots of fun stuff. i've always been into the whole alternate reality thing, so a show like this (and the comics beforehand) are right up my alley. 

i didn't think there was a bad episode in the whole bunch. 

#7 What If... Thor Were an Only Child?
for being a totally different tone. fun party vibe.

#4 What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?"
for being a totally different tone. dark and descending.

Cheers bud.

I was under the impression that What If....? wasn't actually a series of one-shots, but was in fact a thing with an overarcing story from episode to episode, building to a climactic thread-tangling conclusion?

On 4/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, Technico Support said:

It ties into the movies, as well.  I mean that is Evil Doctor Strange in the trailers for the next movie, right?

That's what I thought. Also:

Spoiler

Captain Carter is rumoured to be there in a cameo played by the lovely Hayley Atwell.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's what I thought. Also:

Hide contents

Captain Carter is rumoured to be there in a cameo played by the lovely Hayley Atwell.

I really need to see Chris Evans reprise his role as Skinny Steve Rogers, in the Hydra Stomper, for a cameo.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I really need to see Chris Evans reprise his role as Skinny Steve Rogers, in the Hydra Stomper, for a cameo.

This and also as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch for the LOL.

• Haha 2

Sam Elliott was the first Thunderbolt Ross in the 2003 Hulk movie, and then Carter Slade/Phantom Rider in the first Ghost Rider. Idris Elba was in the Ghost Rider sequel, and was obviously Heimdall in the Thor movies. Ray Stevenson was Volkstagg of the Warrior's Three, and also The Punisher. Ryan Reynolds was in Blade Trinity and, y'know, Deadpool.

The last Fantastic Four movie actually had two more besides Michael B. Jordan: Kate Mara & Tim Blake Nelson. Kate was already in Iron Man 2, I believe (for like 10 seconds) and Tim was obviously The Leader and played a scientist in Fantastic Four.

There are a lot of others, but it's mainly stuff like Olivia Munn being a reporter in the Iron Man movies, and then going on to play Psylocke. Or Rebecca Romijn and Ben Foster being in The Punisher as just Frank Castle's neighbors, while also playing Mystique and Angel in the X-Men movies. Or people who had roles in one project as a random thug or whatever, and then popped up in another show/movie as another bit role.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1