DVDVR Message Board

WHAT IF...? (SPOILER TALK)

My daughter hasn’t been watching any of the Marvel stuff, so I wasn’t watching it with kid appropriateness in mind, but that said, it seemed pretty gore-free given what it was. You don’t really see any actual bites that I can recall, but obviously some of the zombies can look pretty scary. 

I liked this episode. I liked how they replaced Reed/Sue with Pym/Janet, which made sense. I liked Wanda as the big bad, which seemed kind of meta with the MCU Wanda being key to the Multiverse and the Zombies in the comics traveling the multiverse. Happy going “Blam!” made me laugh. 

I’m not surprised at the kind of middling response this show has gotten so far given one of the big hooks of the MCU is how connected everything is, and then you have this show with a bunch of one-offs.

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m not surprised at the kind of middling response this show has gotten so far given one of the big hooks of the MCU is how connected everything is, and then you have this show with a bunch of one-offs.

Until the season finale, and then you've got rumors of Captain Carter appearing in Doctor Strange 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Until the season finale, and then you've got rumors of Captain Carter appearing in Doctor Strange 2.

There’s definitely been rumors, and I thought Strange talking to the Watcher was a hint of things to come, but so far none of that has shown up on the screen.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, odessasteps said:

Prob as close as we will get to the classic issue when Dark Phoenix destroyed the universe. 

Not even a gallon of butter pecan ice cream could cheer me up after reading that shit.

The issue totally sets you up for horror.  There's that infamous disarming panel showing Jean Grey's butt in the Phoenix costume right before she goes bugshit and you're like, "Hey, Jean Grey's got a nice ass....  WHAT THE FUCK~???  SHE IS KILLING EVERYONE~!!!!!"

Nightcrawler and Wolverine's murders left me sleepless for days and poor Kitty...

The Strange Supreme episode is a nice cautionary preface to Spider-Man:   No Way Home.

What if... ZOMBIES~!  was everything I hoped it would be!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I liked how Killmonger shot Klaue right in the face and then you see his face a second later and there's not even a scuff. Disney, everybody!

But yeah the body count in this episode wasn't high or anything, but it was people I didn't expect. Stark dying from a shoulder wound? Okay. It also ended very weirdly, I thought there would be at least one more scene with a follow-up to that Shuri and Pepper interaction, but, nothing.

The only new footage was seemingly of the multiverse team-up, something new with Captain Marvel, and the episodes about What If Ultron Won (the stuff with Black Widow) and Party Thor. It looked like some stuff, like with Thor & Strange, was new, and there were a few shots/lines of Captain Carter I don't remember, but the first one could still be from the Party Thor episode and the second could be from the multiverse team-up.

There were leaks out there that said Gamora might get her own episode where she's essentially Thanos, since she's wearing his battle armor from the 2014 portion of Endgame/beginning of Infinity War.

22 hours ago, Casey said:

I liked how Killmonger shot Klaue right in the face and then you see his face a second later and there's not even a scuff. Disney, everybody!

But yeah the body count in this episode wasn't high or anything, but it was people I didn't expect. Stark dying from a shoulder wound? Okay. It also ended very weirdly, I thought there would be at least one more scene with a follow-up to that Shuri and Pepper interaction, but, nothing.

I've been loving the show , but this one and the Strange ep just didn't hit for me . This one especially felt a little weak.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

Alright that episode was a fucking BLAST, holy shit. Darcy marrying Howard the Duck, Captain Marvel vs Thor, cameos from Grandmaster, Korg, Nebula, Drax, some Skrulls, Rumlow/Crossbones, etc. Loki as a frost giant.

Then that final few seconds. It's leading into the next episode about what if Ultron wins - and his plans for the vibranium android body aren't interrupted. And he has all of the Infinity Stones?!?!? Shit is gonna fucking slap next week, goddamn.

I think Ultron with the Infinity Stones is how we get the Guardians of the Multiverse, and it might explain why Gamora is wearing Thanos' 2014 armor. Maybe Ultron killed Thanos?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, odessasteps said:

Best bits:

1. Monument Valley

2. Clancy Brown  as Surtur

3. The casting director telling Seth Green this was going to be like “shes all that” and he said “got it.’ And then driving home he realizedd that Seth was in it. 

Also, Carmen San Diego cameo.