DVDVR Message Board

WHAT IF...? (SPOILER TALK)

I thought this was really solid. I loved First Avenger, so this being in the same vein was great. 

I thought I read she’d be a recurring throughline in the show, so when she entered the portal, I assumed that would lead to something. Then, with the way the show ended, I wanted to see what happened in that world next, which is probably about as much as this show can ask for with each episode.

• Like 2

I liked the first episode pretty much.  I have a soft spot for Carter ever since I binged the network show off the recommendation from some of you here.

But man it went by too fast to really let some of those good character moments really breathe.  The twist of Steve’s injury not at all getting in the way of Peggy having feelings for him was so great.  But man did a viewer barely have a chance to have it register.

They crammed a lot into half an hour, but that was pretty enjoyable. Curious to see if any of What If? leads to something bigger though I can kind of agree it doesn't feel like required viewing at the moment. Not sure that is a bad thing though as I just like seeing what fun ideas come out of this in general.

I'm always up for more Hayley Atwell as Carter be it Agent or Captain.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I like Peggy Carter as a character and everything, but I low-key resent how she's replaced and essentially erased Sharon Carter as a character to the MCU. 

Funny, since there's a theory that the Sharon Carter/Power Broker is now a Skrull.

Yeah, 44 minutes at least would have been ideal.  But man did they start out strong with Captain Carter.  I'm glad that they're heavily considering using her more in the future as Hayley just absolutely crushed it (much like the other stuff she's done)  As for appointment viewing after this episode it definitely has become that.  I know the Black Panther one is going to make things awfully dusty in the house but the rest of the show sounds pretty neat too.

• Like 3

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Just finished Ep2. What a terrific episode as we get the late, great Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Star-Lord. It's a funny and poignant episode that will make you cry. I did. T'Challa is part of the Ravagers setting out to retrieve the Genesis of Embers to heal planets. The Ravagers include a reformed Thanos of all people apologising for his genocide and Nebula. I welcomed the return of Josh Brolin's Thanos. The episode acts as a twisty turning heist. We get similarities/differences to past MCU movies such as the weapons The Collector uses as nods to past villains Malekith and Hela. Fucker killed Korg! Cool nod to Thanos nickname. Nebula: "Are you crazy?" Thanos: "Mad". The episode ends with a "Dedicated to our friend, out inspiration, and our hero Chadwick Boseman." RIP Chadwick Boseman xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

This was the highpoint of the first three episodes I watched. A great celebration of T'Challa/Chadwick Boseman. 

Well said. A terrific touching tribute to the late, great Chadwick Boseman.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This was the highpoint of the first three episodes I watched. A great celebration of T'Challa/Chadwick Boseman. 

I was surprised that many of the Guardian cast was not present, unless some of them made cameos in the trophy room. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I was surprised that many of the Guardian cast was not present, unless some of them made cameos in the trophy room. 

Well it's an alternate reality, and a few of them did make cameos, ie Drax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Well it's an alternate reality, and a few of them did make cameos, ie Drax.

True, and I'd rather see Nebula than Gamorra if I had to pick between the two. And we could have had Rocket instead of Howard, but again, I'm fine with the choices they made. 

They've shown Gamora in the trailers leading up the premiere, she's wearing Thanos' Endgame armor and wielding his two-blade sword. Not sure when she shows up. All that leaves is Mantis, Rocket & Groot, and I don't think I've heard anything about them appearing in any of the episodes.

30 minutes ago, The Natural said:

We get similarities/differences to past MCU movies such as the weapons The Collector uses as nods to past villains Malekith and Hela.

Captain America's shield is on the very far left when his weapons box thing opens up.

Kind of fucking dope that T'Challa talked down Thanos from using the Infinity Gauntlet to snap away half of the universe. Who knew all the guy needed was friendship and to be shown an alternative way of doing things! He's also a farmer in this universe, hahahaha. I love that Howard the Duck and Cosmo got more screen time in this. Djimon Hounsou' Korath is also a part of the team, and he's so fucking dopey that it's hilarious. The ship was renamed from the Milano to the Mandela apparently. The Black Order being the Collector's henchmen was great - Carrie Coon is back (but only for a few lines).

Oh, and RIP Peter Quill, we hardly knew ya.

• Like 2