DVDVR Message Board

WHAT IF...? (SPOILER TALK)

jlZIhcJ.gif

What...If? debuts next week so here's the topic for it. The first season is made up of nine episodes including the final performance of the late, great Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Star-Lord. That will be emotional. 

• Like 1

Saw the first three episodes. Enjoyed them for the most part. It's basically the original What If...? comic series come to life, just using the MCU storylines and versions as the starting point. Also, a lot of smaller characters we haven't seen in a while are back with their original actors reprising their roles.

I think the only people they weren't able to get were Hemsworth, Evans, Downey, Johansson, Del Toro. But other than that, I think everyone is basically back.

The T'Challa/Star-Lord episode is going to make everyone cry in a good way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think the only people they weren't able to get were Hemsworth, Evans, Downey, Johansson, Del Toro. But other than that, I think everyone is basically back.

Batista didn't do Drax. Apparently he wasn't even asked.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal if you don't use the same voice actors as the live-action shows.  But, if you are going to use mostly the same voice cast, it really sticks out that you're not getting three (or four, depending how you view Black Widow/Johannson) to reprise their roles.  

I would probably recast every role, but I don't know that that goes down well with most of the fanbase.  People seemed to take an immediate dislike to the Avengers game because the character models didn't resemble the movie counterparts (presumably because the licensing deal didn't include the right to use RDJ and Chris Evans' likenesses).

Edited by Eoae

"'What If…?' flips the script on the MCU, reimagining famous events from the films in unexpected ways," teases the brief synopsis for Marvel Studios' first animated TV series.

"Coming to Disney+ in summer 2021, Marvel Studios’ first animated series focuses on different heroes from the MCU," it continues, "featuring a voice cast that includes a host of stars who reprise their roles. The series is directed by Bryan Andrews; Ashley Bradley is head writer."

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Batista didn't do Drax. Apparently he wasn't even asked.

Pretty sure it's Fred Tatasciore, longtime animated VA for Hulk, doing Drax in the show. I imagine they didn't ask him back since it's a short scene and it probably wasn't in the budget to pay Batista for such a short scene. However, that's just speculation on my part. Yet Josh Brolin is back as Thanos. 

My other theory is that this could've been recorded when Batista and Disney were fighting over the James Gunn thing. 

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal if you don't use the same voice actors as the live-action shows.  But, if you are going to use mostly the same voice cast, it really sticks out that you're not getting three (or four, depending how you view Black Widow/Johannson) to reprise their roles.  

I would probably recast every role, but I don't know that that goes down well with most of the fanbase.  People seemed to take an immediate dislike to the Avengers game because the character models didn't resemble the movie counterparts (presumably because the licensing deal didn't include the right to use RDJ and Chris Evans' likenesses).

Hearing Lake Bell do a Scarlett Johansson impression was odd. Like you can tell it's not Scarlett's voice, and yet Lake Bell is sort of like nearly mimicking her cadences and tone of voice.

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Pretty sure it's Fred Tatasciore, longtime animated VA for Hulk, doing Drax in the show. I imagine they didn't ask him back since it's a short scene and it probably wasn't in the budget to pay Batista for such a short scene. However, that's just speculation on my part. Yet Josh Brolin is back as Thanos. 

My other theory is that this could've been recorded when Batista and Disney were fighting over the James Gunn thing. 

Hearing Lake Bell do a Scarlett Johansson impression was odd. Like you can tell it's not Scarlett's voice, and yet Lake Bell is sort of like nearly mimicking her cadences and tone of voice.

Cool getting some more of Josh Brolin's Thanos. Lake Bell not only voices Black Widow here, she does Poison Ivy in Harley Quinn.

Peggy lookin' real jacked baby. Interesting that instead of getting frozen in ice or something like Rogers, Peggy pushes back the HYDRA monster (Hive???) and comes back 70 years later the same way Loki arrived on Earth in the Avengers movie from 2012. I fully expected Rogers to get captured by HYDRA after the train explosion and be turned into the Winter Soldier, but that didn't happen.

This is... perfectly fine for what it is, but it's not appointment viewing, IMO, like the three shows before it. Nothing about it makes me NEED to watch every episode on the Wednesday it's released.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed Ep1 for a number of reasons: more Agent Peggy Carter now Captain Carter as Hayley Atwell's an MCU standout, the story, the animation and the similarities/differences to past MCU movies. I spotted the one @Casey mentioned. Chuckled at the recreation of Bucky getting saved from falling off the train in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and Bucky saying "Peggy nearly tearing his arm off" and getting people who played a part back to voice their animated counterpart we haven't seen in a while: Arnim Zola played by Toby Jones and Howard Stark's Dominic Cooper. Liked how Howard Stark created an Iron Man suit here as his Son would go on to do but here it's modelled on the one made by Obadiah Stane and goes by the HYDRA Stomper. Josh Keaton did a good job as Skinny Steve Rogers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Really enjoyed Ep1 for a number of reasons: more Agent Peggy Carter now Captain Carter as Hayley Atwell's an MCU standout, the story, the animation and the similarities/differences to past MCU movies. I spotted the one @Casey mentioned. Chuckled at the recreation of Bucky getting saved from falling off the train in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and Bucky saying "Peggy nearly tearing his arm off" and getting people who played a part back to voice their animated counterpart we haven't seen in a while: Arnim Zola played by Toby Jones and Howard Stark's Dominic Cooper. Liked how Howard Stark created an Iron Man suit here as his Son would go on to do but here it's modelled on the one made by Obadiah Stane and goes by the HYDRA Stomper.

It's actually more like the Mark 1.0 suit which the Iron Monger suit was modeled after.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There’s money in Carter if they find a way to continue to use her.

That's what I'm hoping for. Agent Peggy Carter's in my top 10 MCU characters. Agent Carter Season 1 was the standout for the character with an honourable mention to the Marvel One-Shot (2013) and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Hayley Atwell's a delight.

• Like 1

E8fp4hKVIAAUlCh?format=jpg&name=medium

"What If...?" producers have said some storylines might make their way into future live-action projects. Atwell says she'd be game to play Captain Carter onscreen under the right circumstances.

With "brilliant" screenwriters such as Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Emerald Fennell "breaking through and adding multi-layered and bold qualities to their female characters, the possibility of Peggy getting an opportunity to take the helm in a far more ambitious way does excite me," she says. "I would invest fully in a process where the right creative team was put together to pave the way for Peggy to tap into the cultural consciousness of today and become a modern heroine of our times. I wouldn’t settle for less than what she and the fans deserve."

Please and thank you.

• Like 1

LOVED the first episode. It did more than just take moments from First Avenger and replace them with Captain Carter (though they did that plenty). So Skull basically summoned Shuma-Gorath right?

Also I realize that they were making Hydra Stomper as a sort of MKI Iron Man but... c'mon that was clearly Atomic Robo inspired right?

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1