DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

24 minutes ago, Octopus said:

That video took me back to video production school. Only ran the switcher a few times on some projects and it can be intense but exhilarating.

“Ready” would mean prepare for a certain shot. They might have every camera on monitor with a Live TNT specific one and then the Ready one which is like the up next shot.

”Take” would mean cut to it. So you see the fan that was crying of joy and he’d quickly Ready and Take. If director knew CM Punk would be climbing the turn buckle he’d Ready the shot and wait until that sweet moment of him raising his arms or what-have you to take the shot. 

If he didn’t want a hard cut he’d say “Dissolve” after Ready or Take and it would be a smoother transition.

I really enjoyed how he was talking to the camera people as well, directing them to be prepared not to be in the shot and where to raise, lower, or tighten in (follow) CM Punk. Such teamwork. The pride you could see as a few of the guys excitedly raise their hands. It can be such a stressful job and they killed it here. These people are like the Offensive Line in football. When they do their job the stars can shine and you rarely notice the edits because they are so natural. When they fail, the quarterback gets sacked/ we see what Jericho landed on., etc. 

I was a technical director a few times for some local things, and I cannot imagine trying to call that segment. I think I’d just take over the board and deal directly with the camera ops. 

• Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
52 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

On the strength of this alone, a fifty feet statue of Kingston should be placed slap bang in the middle of New York. 

Just now, The Natural said:

Eddie Kingston's a treasure. Been looking forward to the day he wins a championship in AEW. I can see him holding all the men's titles.

I want Eddie beating Miro for the TNT title. Eddie and Moxley really should have beaten the Young Bucks for the tag belts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I want Eddie beating Miro for the TNT title. Eddie and Moxley really should have beaten the Young Bucks for the tag belts.

Agree on both. I felt Mox/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championship at Double or Nothing and I still stand by that.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Eddie Kingston's a treasure. Been looking forward to the day he wins a championship in AEW. I can see him holding all the men's titles.

I find Schiavone's incredulity over "Ace Crusher" interesting until I realize it's me, not him. Eddie Kingston is part of this lost generation of wrestling fans who probably came up like me, watching 90's AJPW tapes and playing import wrestling video games. It's a known fact that Excalibur was a member of the Fire Pro edit-sharing community, I think he ran a website? He calls moves like he's reading them off a Fire Pro Wrestling CAW screen and Eddie does it too. I swear I've heard Excalibur call something a "sole butt", which I'm 90% sure is a mistranslation of "sobat" or "savate" unique to the FPW games.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Agree on both. I felt Mox/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championship at Double or Nothing and I still stand by that.

Bruh, don't get me started...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Speaking of Eddie, I was just watching this promo between him and Mox before their PPV match and it's honestly some of the best stuff I've ever seen. This hyped me up so much for their match. 

Still in my Best AEW Matches Top Twenty, needs talking up more.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this in the morning. maybe Adam Cole should be doing what Christian is doing right now. Be on a AEW contract, but also be on a per-appearance deal with ROH. ROH definitely needs that extra national exposure, and AEW would have a way to not have another new guy from taking up time of talents you want to push.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was thinking about this in the morning. maybe Adam Cole should be doing what Christian is doing right now. Be on a AEW contract, but also be on a per-appearance deal with ROH. ROH definitely needs that extra national exposure, and AEW would have a way to not have another new guy from taking up time of talents you want to push.

This is a good idea, especially Bc ROH is less of a threat to break out than it’s ever been. You can make a talent happy and not look like you’re helping a competitor.

Also, Schiavone saying “Billy Bob Thornton” as the answer to the sling blade question popped me hard…

Edited by just drew

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

A quasi-territorial relationship with other promotions, allowing you to rotate guys in and out (and even give real time off) would probably be best for everyone. (Especially if we ever get the pandemic under control, and Mexico and Japan become real options.)

That said, I can't imagine AEW would bring in Cole and not feature him prominently for a little while on their own shows--especially if Omega does take some time off after dropping the title, Jericho keeps stepping further back, etc. I think they've got room for him, even with Punk and Danielson. (And hey, Britt is already speculating on her and "somebody else" facing Punk and AJ in a mixed tag--not that I think that's likely.)

Edited by Beech27

I’m just thinking to myself “Would AEW really benefit from having Adam Cole”? When it comes to locker room morale, definitely. You want to keep your talent happy with a move like that. But he’s not a needle mover for AEW. He won’t bring in a new audience to view your company. For ROH, if he has AEW exposure, he’ll bring back the fans they lost a long time ago, and maybe hardcores that weren’t into your company to start with will look now because of the AEW connection. Hopefully ROH gives them some Bandido appearances as a thank you in return.

The only issue I could see with this scenario is that IMPACT could get pissed that they didn’t throw the hardcore bone to them instead.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

These questions are good. 

I know this is the AEW thread but let's shift it a bit. I don't have a ton of use for Cole as a wrestler, but I think we can all see various ways he could be used an add value.

Now do it for WWE. You bring him up to the main roster and he's.... a challenger for Reigns for a couple of months? A guy to take the IC/US title from Priest or Nakamura and have a long run there? Miz's new tag team partner? And in any of these scenarios, where is he in six months? The best option is a very long run with a mid-card belt without any specific feuds or dream matches or other things that come to mind. Just the churn, right? It's bleak. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m just thinking to myself “Would AEW really benefit from having Adam Cole”? When it comes to locker room morale, definitely. You want to keep your talent happy with a move like that. But he’s not a needle mover for AEW. He won’t bring in a new audience to view your company. For ROH, if he has AEW exposure, he’ll bring back the fans they lost a long time ago, and maybe hardcores that weren’t into your company to start with will look now because of the AEW connection. Hopefully ROH gives them some Bandido appearances as a thank you in return.

The only issue I could see with this scenario is that IMPACT could get pissed that they didn’t throw the hardcore bone to them instead.

There’s something to be said for galvanizing your base. If you sign Cole and then don’t feature him, your core fans may happily follow him to ROH, or they may resent the fact that he traded one minor league for another. I think they would want to see him “in the show” for a little, first. And of course I imagine Cole would like that, too.

As for how he’d do on WWE’s main roster... he’s always been a pretty good smarmy promo, is willing to do any kind of comedy, everyone loves working with him, and he’s got a catch phrase people like. I think he’d be a valuable utility player around the IC/tag range, yeah. But I don’t think he passes the “stand next to Randy Orton and look like a superstar to Vince” test, nor does he have any S-tier skills to elevate himself despite that.

Edited by Beech27

17 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

There’s something to be said for galvanizing your base. If you sign Cole and then don’t feature him, your core fans may happily follow him to ROH, or they may resent the fact that he traded one minor league for another. I think they would want to see him “in the show” for a little, first. And of course I imagine Cole would like that, too.

I don’t think ROH will be much of a threat to putting him on. They are trying to attract an extremely niche market with Gresham’s booking. …And I’m not saying he shouldn’t be on AEW TV. ROH tapes shows just like IMPACT. So he’ll always be available to AEW. It’ll be like what the Good Brothers are doing right now. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is Christian really working AEW, Impact and ROH? I only knew about the first two.

No, just IMPACT. Nobody currently in the company is doing ROH. I just suggested ROH because of Cole’s familiarity with the company, and to be slid in as a promotion veteran that would fit into the storylines nicely.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Oops wrong thread. I'll say this. If they are bringing in Cole, I would very much hope they could get the rights to his ROH theme song. It's great. 

Edited by Jiji