DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

Very good episode of Dark Elevation. Eddie sat in for the entire episode, and the show was under an hour long with a good pace leading into the last match.

You gotta give credit to Eddie. He only has two decades experience. Really has about under 2 years of TV wrestling experience. Yet he comes off as someone with 3 decades of national TV experience. He’s a total natural, and it seems like he’s doing more stuff behind the camera for AEW, than one would originally think.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

I’ve never been a huge Adam Cole fan, but I can totally understand people wanting him in AEW given his history with the Elite. I just don’t see how he’s gonna stand out, his promos have always been fine bordering on generic, but his main moves seem to be super kicks and a Canadian Destroyer, which will do nothing to help him stand out compared to anyone else on the roster given how overused they are. (Credit to whoever coined the “International Transition”)

Bray Wyatt is another one I don’t get the hype for. Him not being on a leash might just mean more of the awful stuff we saw from the Fiend, there’s not much I’ve seen to prove he had a tons of untapped potential, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong. I’ve also never seen him have a good match, anything I did enjoy was largely due to Brodie carrying the tag matches, or great opponents like Daniel Bryan. I get that WWE has basically everyone with an ounce of talent in the industry signed, so the idea that AEW just survives on WWE’s old toys is dumb, but Bray is probably where I’d draw the line. Why not let him try to kill it on the indies and learn how to work with the newer crop of guys like a Drew McIntyre and be undeniable before you sign him.

Cole’s buds with the Elite. You knew it was gonna happen as soon as the company finally formed. 

if say the Bucks loose the belts, I think you can establish those rumored Trios belts by putting them on a team of the Bucks, and Cole. 

What if Sami were to be let go? Do you think it’s possible he can get away with doing the Generico gimmick again?

I'm seeing Cole like this:

When Vince took over in 84, he grabbed a bunch of guys who really moved the needle in territories to a degree, huge regional stars like JYD. They became solid midcarders that could maybe headline a B or C show. Guys who were regional mid-card stars like Brunzell or Blair could be put in tag teams. You don't necessarily need someone like Cole or even Bray to come in on top. They stack the middle of your card or can be used in a team. 

Honestly, now that Bo Dallas is saying he wants to get back to wrestling, you could bring him and Bray in as a team and they could fill out a match on a big card. One thing I've noticed with AEW is that they stack things as a cluster. The Shaq match was on a Dynamite right before a PPV, right? They can always try to be filling three cards over a few week span and cycling guys in and out and it'd probably work ok. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Very good episode of Dark Elevation. Eddie sat in for the entire episode, and the show was under an hour long with a good pace leading into the last match.

You gotta give credit to Eddie. He only has two decades experience. Really has about under 2 years of TV wrestling experience. Yet he comes off as someone with 3 decades of national TV experience. He’s a total natural, and it seems like he’s doing more stuff behind the camera for AEW, than one would originally think.

He’s a guy like Excalibur where you can just see that he absolutely loves wrestling and is leaving his dream just doing it and talking about it nonstop. It’s a joy to watch how happy he always looks (Eddie).

• Like 3

What if he’s El Canadiano? Just a masked Canadian(Same Generico mask with maple leafs on the side) with a barely understandable Canadian accent who does lucha spots, and pisses off Shawn Spears because he’s disgracing his people. Or Le Quebeco, with a thick French Canadian accent.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A.M.B. said:

Bray Wyatt is another one I don’t get the hype for. Him not being on a leash might just mean more of the awful stuff we saw from the Fiend, there’s not much I’ve seen to prove he had a tons of untapped potential, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong. I’ve also never seen him have a good match, anything I did enjoy was largely due to Brodie carrying the tag matches, or great opponents like Daniel Bryan. I get that WWE has basically everyone with an ounce of talent in the industry signed, so the idea that AEW just survives on WWE’s old toys is dumb, but Bray is probably where I’d draw the line. Why not let him try to kill it on the indies and learn how to work with the newer crop of guys like a Drew McIntyre and be undeniable before you sign him.

I'd love to see what Windham Rotunda can do outside of the WWE system.  There are plenty of talents he can have good matches with in AEW...dude has undeniable charisma and from what people say, has a very creative mind. He will be motivated, like Malakai and Miro, to show that Vince and Co. dropped the ball with him.

• Like 2

this is so fucking cool. I get what Jiji is saying, but at the same time seeing and hearing their enthusiasm for what they're doing is so cool and brought a tear to my eye. Definitely not an easy job. I can't imagine what the WWE truck is like. Probably sounds like the Micro Machines guy.

• Like 4

Nice to see Joe Aiello, who was the voice of Winnipeg wrestling in the 80s/90s during the West Four Wrestling Alliance/International Wrestling Alliance days. He even got a cup of coffee with the WWF doing their Canadian syndicated shows

• Like 1

Dante Martin vs. Alan Angels was really fucking good.  It also looks like AEW lurks our board.  We called the DO schism in the WWE Purge Thread and it appears to be going down slow burn booking style.  Whether or not they hire Bray Wyatt to be the guiding light of the heel DO faction remains to be seen.

Silver and 10 tagged tonight as Silver's normal tag partner, Alex Reynolds, is celebrating the birth of his first child!  Congrats to the Reynolds family!

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

That video took me back to video production school. Only ran the switcher a few times on some projects and it can be intense but exhilarating.

“Ready” would mean prepare for a certain shot. They might have every camera on monitor with a Live TNT specific one and then the Ready one which is like the up next shot.

”Take” would mean cut to it. So you see the fan that was crying of joy and he’d quickly Ready and Take. If director knew CM Punk would be climbing the turn buckle he’d Ready the shot and wait until that sweet moment of him raising his arms or what-have you to take the shot. 

If he didn’t want a hard cut he’d say “Dissolve” after Ready or Take and it would be a smoother transition.

I really enjoyed how he was talking to the camera people as well, directing them to be prepared not to be in the shot and where to raise, lower, or tighten in (follow) CM Punk. Such teamwork. The pride you could see as a few of the guys excitedly raise their hands. It can be such a stressful job and they killed it here. These people are like the Offensive Line in football. When they do their job the stars can shine and you rarely notice the edits because they are so natural. When they fail, the quarterback gets sacked/ we see what Jericho landed on., etc. 

• Like 16