DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I don’t necessarily want to see Cole in AEW, but I’m all here for more excitement in my wrestling and there’s no denying the dude is over as fuck. Maybe getting away from HBK produced matches will make me care about Cole, who knows. Honestly never see any of his stuff pre-NXT - maaaaybe one or two, but if I have, I can’t remember the matches.

There’s someone on the AEW subreddit seriously fantasy booking and predicting that Cole coming in will lead to Marty Scrull signing and debuting ??

Cole has always been a guy who's solid in the ring but never really has amazing matches or anything that immediately comes to mind. He does have good matches tho but it's not as easy to make up an obvious list of his best stuff.

However, he's always OVER AF anywhere he goes so that's his big plus imo.

• Like 2

I'm a big Adam Cole fan, and enjoyed most of his big NXT matches that I saw (through the middle of 2009), so happy to have him on board. While I agree that AEW needs to be pretty selective going forward with additions, this is not where I am drawing the line (especially when one of your top talents would very much welcome this addition).

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 1

What a run Mr. Brodie Lee was on. Lee's match with Jon Moxley at Double or Nothing 2020 is underrated. The squash match vs. Cody (Dynamite, 22nd August 2020) is memorable and his dog collar match (Dynamite, 7th October 2020) with Cody I gave *****. Mr. Brodie Lee redeemed the Dark Order through his leadership and Being the Elite. We love and miss you, Mr. Brodie Lee xxx.

• Like 5

So what do you reckon Adam Cole's first angle is going to be? I reckon they tease that he's rejoining the Elite/ Bullet Club, but he then teams up with Kazarian as the Elite Hunters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxB said:

So what do you reckon Adam Cole's first angle is going to be? I reckon they tease that he's rejoining the Elite/ Bullet Club, but he then teams up with Kazarian as the Elite Hunters.

Welll....they did kill him. Could you blame him?

He could always be AEW's Deadman gimmick lol

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, I'm thinking something along these lines as well, maybe somehow aiding the Darby/Sting/Mox/Kingston/Kaz group during a beatdown or something

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

He should just show up in the audience and not wrestle. When Schiavone goes and asks him why, he should say “my wife has two high paying jobs. Why would I work?” Then she gets pissed so he wrestles exactly enough to honor his contract & make $. Make him the Jefferson D’Arcy of AEW…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I’ve only seen a handful of Adam Cole matches and segments.  Not sure what the wet blankets have seen, but to my eyes and ears he’s clearly a talented guy in the prime of his career.  I’m very much looking forward to his All Elite debut.  

As for an opening angle... hoping he joins the Elite and remains a heel.  Even more so I hope he has some issues with Schiavone’s relationship to his girlfriend.  And vice versa for Tony.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Really enjoyable first 45 seconds. I assume some of you will stick around and sample the rest.

I did. What the fuck was that?! I never watch BTE because I imagine it will be badly mic'd high school banter and Jacksons talking about trainers - and it literally is! Fair play to Tony Khan for making it clear early on that nothing like this would ever make it to TV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Poor Private Party, imagine being less “liked” than Nakazawa

More people would've been familiar with Nakazawa's DDT work than Private Party's indie work. No shame coming behind the baby oil man. Wait a minute.

• Haha 6

I think maybe bringing in Cole as backup for Hangman whenever the latter gets back is the way to go. Considering their history, the Dark Order dissention teases, and the fact that Cole will be cheered as a babyface on his debut so teaming him up with the Bucks and Kenny might not make sense right away, but who knows?

This is a fun show. Opener of Bowens vs. Dante featured some spectacular offense from both but Dante's got work to do in selling and filling spaces. Skipped most of the Blond(e)s squash but love to see Pillman hit Air Pillman and with gusto. The singlet is a good look too! Six-man with Best Friends and HFO was damn good. Yoots gets most of the ring time as he should, Angelico the real monster among men as seen in the gif above. Blade is super solid and I imagine he's training people, right? Fundamentals are great. Tay squash... Some of her offense looks great (mostly strikes), some of her offense is way too cutesy, like the Gory to knee thing she does. Andrade ringside for the Dark Order vs. Death Triangle match. Trios titles gotta be incoming after All out, right? I know there's been mixed reactions on here to the idea but they do such a good job of making their (men's) titles seem important, gives purpose to all of the groups in the promotion, and I love trios matches. Kingston on commentary a delight as always. Still calling Penta his best friend and ragging on Fenix. Penta hits sling blades and Kingston asks Paul and Tony who made that famous. Tony: "Uh, Billy Bob Thornton... Tanahashi." YES. Thought the JE vs. YB match last week with the dodgy finish was setting up the PPV match but fuck, Penta is SO over and he's hardly used. They really should pull the trigger with him soon. Pretty good match. MOTN clearly the Best Friends tag.

So competitive matches between talent that don't get on Dynamite all that often with a bit of storyline building (though nothing major on that front). I am going to make an effort to check out Elevation and Dark more if they bring it like this consistently.

They are doing what they did for Rampage and smartly banking on Punk to be a draw because the lineup announced so far is:

• Malakai Black vs. BROCK Anderson
  • Varsity Blonds vs. Lucha Bros
  • Red Velvet vs. Jamie Hayter
  • Orange Cassidy vs. Matt Hardy (I guess this is the main event?)

Probably add another match in there but it looks like an angle heavy show building to the PPV. 

• Like 1

I felt kind of bad for the Dark Order going in there against Death Triangle because the fans were SOLIDLY behind Penta and PAC (oh, and Rey Fenix was there.)

The crowd also seemed surprisingly tepid for OC, but as much as I like the Blade those three are clearly the HFO b-team.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I felt kind of bad for the Dark Order going in there against Death Triangle because the fans were SOLIDLY behind Penta and PAC (oh, and Rey Fenix was there.)

The crowd also seemed surprisingly tepid for OC, but as much as I like the Blade those three are clearly the HFO b-team.

Don't get me wrong (myself) and the crowd were happy to see the Dark Order...until Death Triangle's music hit. They've just been on a huge upswing lately, specifically Penta.

They don't announce what the matches for Dark are going to be, so the entrances are going to be marked with bated breath, as you don't know weather to save your cheers for the first entrant or the second.